Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Valle del Cauca  (Read 9946 times)

Andres Bonilla

Valle del Cauca
« on: March 09, 2006, 05:58:44 pm »

I am  trying to  decide if I should crop the fence a bit from the bottom. Any suggestions? Or comments on composition, color etc

Thanks,

Andres

DarkPenguin

Valle del Cauca
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 06:12:14 pm »

I would crop it just above the wire on the left side.  (Above the diagonal bit of lumber.)  And I would crop to a single vertial log on the left side.  (Remove a bit of clutter.)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 06:13:50 pm by DarkPenguin »

JRandallNichols

Valle del Cauca
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 06:26:50 pm »

I am close to DarkPenguin's idea, because the diversion at bottom and somewhat at top take me away from what I presume is the primary focus.   With a bit more time and care you might consider darkening and deepening saturation of the bits of sky at the top to keep them from leading us out of the image.  As it is, I have cropped down just a bit for the same reason.

I'm inclined to keep both vertical fenceposts simply to rhyme with the square shape of the house, the squarish shape of the colorful centerpiece plant, and the little hut in the left background, though I admit that removing either one yields a very different and appealing image.

The more I look at this the more I like it, for the repeating vertical lines, the repeated senses of enclosure, and the movement of the lower diagonial lines of stream and logs to add some dynamism to the shot.
Randy

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Valle del Cauca
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 06:32:27 pm »

I think you have to ask yourself what impression you're trying to give.  If you want to give the impression that the garden is a sort of unattainable paradise which the viewer can never enter, then leave it as is, with the fence dominant.  If you want to emphasize the garden and have it accessible-looking, then much of the fence should be cropped off (somewhat above the wire).

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Valle del Cauca
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 06:51:55 pm »

I am  trying to  decide if I should crop the fence a bit from the bottom. Any suggestions? Or comments on composition, color etc

Thanks,

Andres
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59931\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I personally like the fence in its' entirety, more for the statement it makes rather than its' visual composition.

There is such a disparity between the cleanly manicured garden and the ageing, deteriorating fence, which stimulates in my mind a lot more questions than when the fence is cropped. eg;Why is the fence there? Why is the bottom rung worn? Is it because people are using it to step on to climb over the fence. Is the adjoining neighbour poorer and cannot afford a luxurious garden? Why is the fence there? How old is the fence?

Without the fence..I think it is just another nice garden photo. I vote not to crop.
Julie

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
Valle del Cauca
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 07:03:54 pm »

I agree with Jule.  I'd clone out the silver wire though or at least change it to a rusty brown.

Kelly

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Valle del Cauca
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 10:57:31 pm »

I agree with Jule.  I'd clone out the silver wire though or at least change it to a rusty brown.

Kelly
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59938\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Kelly, I'm not sure that I would want to sacrifice information about the fence to make it more visually appealing.

I think that having both the rusty wire and the silver wire adds a dimension of time to the fence. The inclusion of both rusty and silver encompasses both past and fairly recent, which I think would be lost if it were omitted or changed to rusty.
Julie

Ray

Valle del Cauca
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 12:55:15 am »

The impression I get is that you have two seperate compositions here. Above and below. Theres's a limited connection with posts jutting from the lower part to the upper part, but generally you've got two separate images.

Compositionally, it's a failure. Sorry!

Andres Bonilla

Valle del Cauca
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 04:07:59 am »

Thanks for the input guys, I posted the image to another forum and it was also a 50/50 between cropping it and leaving as is. I really liked the option given by Randall Nichols. The sky was white and I did put some color in it but when I tried to darkened it a bit more it looked phoney, the cropping did help. I loved Julie's take on the photo, it is not so technical but more subjective. Thanks again.

Andres

Ben Rubinstein

Valle del Cauca
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 12:03:28 pm »

looks like quite a bit of CA in the branches of the tree. It's annoying when that happens.

Andres Bonilla

Valle del Cauca
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 01:23:30 pm »

Pom is that chromatic aberration? Could it be fixed in RAW?
Pages: [1]   Go Up