Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prints on Canvas  (Read 3853 times)

dmerger

Prints on Canvas
« on: March 09, 2006, 05:34:52 pm »

I'm considering having some photos printed with an Epson 9800 on canvas, and then having them gallery stretched.  I've never had a photo printed on canvas so I don't know what to expect.  I'll do one photo first to see how I like it.  

Do most people frame their gallery stretched canvas prints, or just hang the stretched canvas without a frame?  

Should the photo image wrap around the canvas stretcher or is the stretching precise enough to have the image line up precisely with the front with bare canvas wrapped around the stretcher?  Even if it is possible to do so, is it advisable?

Do stretched canvas prints usually have to be in a standard size, like 20x30, or are odd dimensions a simple matter?

I'd also appreciate any other advice about prints on canvas.
Dean Erger

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Prints on Canvas
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 06:42:49 pm »

I'm considering having some photos printed with an Epson 9800 on canvas, and then having them gallery stretched.  I've never had a photo printed on canvas so I don't know what to expect.  I'll do one photo first to see how I like it. 

Do most people frame their gallery stretched canvas prints, or just hang the stretched canvas without a frame?   

Should the photo image wrap around the canvas stretcher or is the stretching precise enough to have the image line up precisely with the front with bare canvas wrapped around the stretcher?  Even if it is possible to do so, is it advisable?

Do stretched canvas prints usually have to be in a standard size, like 20x30, or are odd dimensions a simple matter?

I'd also appreciate any other advice about prints on canvas.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59930\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Artistic expression is one of things in this world that generally doesn't HAVE to be done in any particular way - unless of course there are specific gallery requirements - which can often be negotiated anyway.

Stretcher framing can be made to any dimensions requested. There is no need to stick to standard sizes for art work. Do, and request what you want.

So...firstly, does the purpose for your print have any specific requirements for hanging? If not - you can do anything you like!

Bearing this in mind, have a good look at the image and visualise how each method of framing would contribute to its' visual effect. As you suggested, there a a few options-
1. having only the image on the front face with plain canvas wrapped around the sides of the stretcher frame. 2. Having the image wrapped around the stretcher frame.  3. Stretching as in (1) and having frame butting up to edge of canvas. 4. Stretching as in (1) or (2) and having a gap between frame and print, and a matt at the back with a deep frame. 5. magnets on wall without any stretching or framing.  6. any other way you can think of  

My suggestion would be to really have a good ponder about how the image would look best, rather than what everyone else does.
Julie
Pages: [1]   Go Up