Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flattening rolled paper before printing.  (Read 940 times)

Spinosaurus

Flattening rolled paper before printing.
« on: August 17, 2015, 07:59:57 pm »

I print on an Epson 3880 so paper rolls are not supported.  I have had some problems printing on cut pieces of rolled paper because of the curl.  Most suggestions are reverse rolling to eliminate curl.  Does anyone have a well worked out method for flattening rolled paper before printing?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Flattening rolled paper before printing.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 08:13:07 pm »

I cut 17x25 sheets from a roll of Museo Silver Rag.  I use a 4 inch by 19 inch cardboard mailing tube to reverse roll the paper on prior to printing.  I use a piece of archival paper to protect the printing surface.  This works quite well and it doesn't take too long for the paper to flatten.  I cut several sheets at a time, flatten them, and store them in an archival box when I need to print.

Ferp

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 10:57:52 pm »

There has been a recent thread on this topic, although it seems to have run out of steam:
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=102054.0

The question that I asked in that thread is still not fully resolved - how does the P800 manage to avoid any problems with roll paper, given that it's effectively otherwise the same printer?  I think the answer is the one I suggested - it uses a lead strip to ensure that the paper is pinned between all the rollers before the printing starts, and the remainder of the roll acts as a trailing strip to keep the paper pinned down for the final stages of the print.  So I believe that you can avoid the straightening routine if you are prepared to waste an extra 2" or paper at either end.  I've always found straightening to be a bit tedious and you have to be careful not to damage the paper in the process.  Clearly others find it easier than I do.

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 11:17:01 pm »

I think I reported my technique in this forum a few years ago.  I cut my sheets from the roll then press them briefly on the reverse side on my wife's ironing board with her (steam) iron, set to a pretty hot setting (Linen).  This has seemed to work fine for me over the years.  I have not noticed the quality of my prints in any way being negatively affected by this technique.  (Other contributors to this forum however may gasp!)
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

Spinosaurus

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 12:33:05 am »

Thanks everyone for your input.  I recognized what had to be done but was relying on cleverer people than I.  BTW here is a video I obtained on another forum that shows how to make a cheap and simple "de-roller" out of PVC pipe and a vinyl shade.  http://www.samlinvillephotography.com/Website/Test-Gallery/n-B7cRj/i-Nw7THP8/A
I will see what works best.
Pages: [1]   Go Up