Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

How to trigger AR7II wirelessly when shooting tethered?

(1/4) > >>

Grischa Rueschendorf:
Here is my dilemma: the Sony got only one micro USB multi-port and that’s occupied by the tethering cable already. Important: for practical reasons I need to be able to fire the camera’s shutter from a distance of up to 50m. / 150 feet.
That means Sony’s offerings don’t work: I tried the wireless app to trigger from a smart phone as well as the Infrared Trigger form Sony. Both cannot cover that distance.

My own Photix trigger units would need to access the Micro USB port on the Sony where I got the tether cable. I tried the wireless set up on the Sony which is too slow to transmit RAW and apparently so are the EYE-Fi cards from what I read.

I see 2 possibilities:
a: find a MicroUSB splitter (male/2 female) but I could not find those and I am wondering if the camera could even handle that or
b: are there radio controlled trigger systems (s.a. Pocket wizards) that work via the camera’s hot shoe WITHOUT having to be connected to the camera’s Micro USB multi port? But ideally I would like to maintain the option of  still being able to fire flash with this set up.

I normally use an Alpa FPS for this particular shooting situation and it got all the necessary connectors (PC socket for flash, connector for the Photix trigger and tethering through the IQ260 connector).
Any ideas how to overcome this limitation on the Sony?

thanks in advance

Grischa

www.rupho.com

spidermike:
Can you use the HDMI for tethered shooting and the USB for the trigger?

george2787:
which software are you using? in capture one you can fire the camera from the computer via keyboard shortcut (cmd+K) and I'm sure its easier to find a way to hit that command from a distance on a computer than using the camera... I'm thinking a presentation type remote controller and a small applet that triggers the shortcut or something like that  ;)

Grischa Rueschendorf:
thanks for the replies:
@spidermike: HDMI won't download my images to the computer , their protocol does not support tethering juts viewing (to my knowledge)
@george2787: I use Capture One 8: yes the camera can easily be fired from C1 but I need to be able to release the shutter from up to 150 feet.

Alto:
Hi

If the connection does not need to be wireless try USB repeaters with cat 5 cable I have that set up for when you can't use PWs .

Jon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version