Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to trigger AR7II wirelessly when shooting tethered?  (Read 9930 times)

Grischa Rueschendorf

How to trigger AR7II wirelessly when shooting tethered?
« on: August 17, 2015, 07:13:45 am »

Here is my dilemma: the Sony got only one micro USB multi-port and that’s occupied by the tethering cable already. Important: for practical reasons I need to be able to fire the camera’s shutter from a distance of up to 50m. / 150 feet.
That means Sony’s offerings don’t work: I tried the wireless app to trigger from a smart phone as well as the Infrared Trigger form Sony. Both cannot cover that distance.

My own Photix trigger units would need to access the Micro USB port on the Sony where I got the tether cable. I tried the wireless set up on the Sony which is too slow to transmit RAW and apparently so are the EYE-Fi cards from what I read.

I see 2 possibilities:
a: find a MicroUSB splitter (male/2 female) but I could not find those and I am wondering if the camera could even handle that or
b: are there radio controlled trigger systems (s.a. Pocket wizards) that work via the camera’s hot shoe WITHOUT having to be connected to the camera’s Micro USB multi port? But ideally I would like to maintain the option of  still being able to fire flash with this set up.

I normally use an Alpa FPS for this particular shooting situation and it got all the necessary connectors (PC socket for flash, connector for the Photix trigger and tethering through the IQ260 connector).
Any ideas how to overcome this limitation on the Sony?

thanks in advance

Grischa

www.rupho.com

spidermike

Re: How to trigger AR7II wirelessly when shooting tethered?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 07:23:09 am »

Can you use the HDMI for tethered shooting and the USB for the trigger?

george2787

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:36:05 am »

which software are you using? in capture one you can fire the camera from the computer via keyboard shortcut (cmd+K) and I'm sure its easier to find a way to hit that command from a distance on a computer than using the camera... I'm thinking a presentation type remote controller and a small applet that triggers the shortcut or something like that  ;)

Grischa Rueschendorf

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:57:53 am »

thanks for the replies:
@spidermike: HDMI won't download my images to the computer , their protocol does not support tethering juts viewing (to my knowledge)
@george2787: I use Capture One 8: yes the camera can easily be fired from C1 but I need to be able to release the shutter from up to 150 feet.

Alto

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 08:29:29 am »

Hi

If the connection does not need to be wireless try USB repeaters with cat 5 cable I have that set up for when you can't use PWs .

Jon

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 08:31:48 am »

thanks for the replies:
@spidermike: HDMI won't download my images to the computer , their protocol does not support tethering juts viewing (to my knowledge)
@george2787: I use Capture One 8: yes the camera can easily be fired from C1 but I need to be able to release the shutter from up to 150 feet.

Use Capture Pilot and an iPad or iPhone to trigger and review.  You may need a stronger wifi signal than the ad hoc connection.  I use an airport and create my own wifi network while on location just for use by Capture Pilot.  

Disclaimer, I use Canon, not Sony.
Craig Lamson Photo

Grischa Rueschendorf

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 10:53:07 am »

@Alto: that set up is too convoluted IMHO. Plus the cable shots up in the shot.
@Craig: I looked into that but I feel I want an easier set up so things can be moved quickly to the next location. Actually the Canon's can do that without a problem but I am looking for a back up solution to my Alpa FPS.

I read about vertical battery grips (s.a. Neewer® LCD 2.4GHz Wireless Remote Control Pro Battery Grip. URL: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UL2GA6A?&tag=briasmitphot-20)
that got a receiver built in with a remote control. I can't get my hear around it how they can trigger the camera since they don't seem to have any cable connection that feeds into the camera,but an interesting concept that could work without laying cables and setting up other devices.
Simplicity is king if the set up requirements are already enough to cause a headache I think.

thanks for all your input

spidermike

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 11:56:53 am »

Another example is this one - it seems too slim to hold a jack connection. Some comments suggest it works through the infrared sensor (rather like a TV remote I guess)

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Remote-Control-Cameras-NEX-5T/dp/B00GSAEN4A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438928235&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+wireless+remote

Grischa Rueschendorf

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 06:53:27 pm »

Spidermike: The operating range is too short . I tried the Somy made IR  release and it needs to be close and in line of sight facing the camera. Those triggers are meant to be used for selfies and family portraits I quess. I wonder if there is a pocketwizard that can fire from just a hotshot mount connection

ctz

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 01:40:00 pm »

I tried, for myself, this kind of bastard solution:
An electronics technician friend wired a standard PC flash sync cable on the motherboard/keyboard of a RMT-DSLR2 standard Sony IR remote. (see attachment)
I used the cable coupled to a laser trigger (for splash photography) and the remote I simply hanged over the camera body, close to the IR sensor (not an elegant solution, but it worked).
My problem is that this kind of IR remote is not fast enough, it is a couple of miliseconds too slow for my splashes.
But if you are not that concerned by this small delay (well, I am) you can wire a jack to the remote and then couple to a PW.
I'm also a bit desperate to find a solution for my problem, but I guess you cannot use two inputs (remote plus tethering) in the same micro USB port.
Also that grip is not appropriate for me, as I'm using the A7RII on an Arca Swiss and I have not enough room for it.

I anyone else has another idea, I'm all ears :D

Grischa Rueschendorf

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 01:28:08 am »

very ingenious, thank you.
the only option after I tried all kinds of options is to by a third party vertical hand grip wit built in Radio transmitter:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UL2GA6A?&tag=briasmitphot-20

there is another manufacturer with the same product called Meike, my impression is they are the same product. They cost only 60 bucks and seem to do the trick of firing the camera over some 300 feet! which leaves the Multiport available for the tethering and the hotshot for the flash trigger.

I even tried the sony built in remote app but for some stupid reason its cutting down the tethered connection

Unless I find something else I am giving it a try. I based in Hong Kong where those supposedly come from but I cannot find a reseller.
very odd but some reviewers are happy with the product so I might give it a go for lack of other options

Grischa

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 05:52:48 am »

very ingenious, thank you.
the only option after I tried all kinds of options is to by a third party vertical hand grip wit built in Radio transmitter:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UL2GA6A?&tag=briasmitphot-20

there is another manufacturer with the same product called Meike, my impression is they are the same product. They cost only 60 bucks and seem to do the trick of firing the camera over some 300 feet! which leaves the Multiport available for the tethering and the hotshot for the flash trigger.

I even tried the sony built in remote app but for some stupid reason its cutting down the tethered connection

Unless I find something else I am giving it a try. I based in Hong Kong where those supposedly come from but I cannot find a reseller.
very odd but some reviewers are happy with the product so I might give it a go for lack of other options

Grischa

Hi Grischa,

Once received could you please post your user experience with the third party grip and whether you find it reliable, consistent etc.
as I may consider this solution with the A7RII as well.

Cheers  :)

Grischa Rueschendorf

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 07:28:07 pm »

Yes sure I have one on order now and should arrive in HK this weekend from everything I read it should work as advertised and if not I got a vertical grip that's still less than half the cost of the sony offering without any wireless function

Tony Jay

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 12:31:14 am »

If you have Smartphone Sony offers a free app that allows your Smartphone to be used as a remote.

Tony Jay

Grischa Rueschendorf

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 08:17:49 pm »

Just a quick note to say that the Meike vertical handgrip works as advertised its radio trigger funtions over a long distance as well no line of sight scenarios. So if your looking for an easy solution to remotely trigger the Sony while staying tethered this is your best set up.
BTW somebody mentioned the Sony remote app and while its a great app it disables the cameras USB port. Something totally stupid IMHO

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 08:01:01 am »

Just a quick note to say that the Meike vertical handgrip works as advertised its radio trigger funtions over a long distance as well no line of sight scenarios. So if your looking for an easy solution to remotely trigger the Sony while staying tethered this is your best set up.
BTW somebody mentioned the Sony remote app and while its a great app it disables the cameras USB port. Something totally stupid IMHO

Thanks for the info Grischa is much appreciated  ;D

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 09:29:16 am »

I have the Meike power pack for the A7S / A7RII that Grischa mentions and it comes with a wireless remote control.  Works a treat.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 09:30:51 am by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato
Pages: [1]   Go Up