Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The first digital camera  (Read 20242 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: The first digital camera
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 05:58:29 pm »

Notice, though, that Marcuse is dead.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Gulag

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 06:36:27 pm »

Notice, though, that Marcuse is dead.

that's cute.  and it essentially confirms what George Orwell predicted,  "Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:17:45 pm by Gulag »
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 03:32:26 am »

I don't think they were stupid. Kodak behaved practically in a very rational way to maximize it near monopolistic present profit at the time when digital camera came to the scene. In retrospect, its perfect instrumental rationality eventually caused its demise.

I'd agree, Kodak were a corporation with a sound business model that was working well for them, it is only hindsight that allows us to see so clearly that they were heading for the Niagara falls. However.........

I have already alluded to the fact that the US military were probably well ahead in digital imaging by the time Kodak cobbled together their device, the KH-11 spy satellite/rocket was to be launched the following year based around a digital camera(s) and that sort of development programme is not a five minute affair, so it's reasonable to assume that they had a device up and running long before the launch date.

Kodak, it  seems,  had mirrored the work of a top secret (at the time) US spy programme, this would hardly impress the authorities who may have 'suggested' to Kodak that they shelve the idea for a while.  Why should the company comply? The answer to that may lie in the fact that Kodak were already contractors to the spy satellite programme and it's probably fair to say that it was a reasonably rewarding relationship, why upset the applecart for a box of tricks that didn't have any immediate value?

The Corona satellites used special 70 millimeter film with a 24-inch (610 mm) focal length camera.[5] Manufactured by Eastman Kodak, the film was initially 0.0003 inches (7.6 µm) thick, with a resolution of 170 lines per 0.04 inches (1.0 mm) of film.[6][7] The contrast was 2-to-1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_%28satellite%29

We must also bear in mind that the success of digital cameras over film is due in great part to the whole digital revolution, if it wasn't for the internet and 'devices' analogue may have stuck around for a lot longer. It wasn't  just the fact that we didn't need film anymore and they have to be seen in that context.

Kodak were a victim of circumstances, their luck ran out.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:48:43 am by Justinr »

RSL

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 08:03:31 am »

Kodak were a victim of circumstances, their luck ran out.  

But if you're managing a company like Kodak you're not supposed to rely on luck.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 08:21:23 am »

But if you're managing a company like Kodak you're not supposed to rely on luck.

Quite so, you are not meant to rely on it but sh!t happens.

Daniel Kahneman in his book 'Thinking Fast and Slow' emphatically points to the role of luck in everything in life, be it the fortunes of big corporations or the chances of getting a job. I'd expand more upon the subject but I've lost a little too much time on here of late, maybe when I've caught up.  

the book highlights several decades of academic research to suggest that people place too much confidence in human judgment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:26:35 am by Justinr »

RSL

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 09:40:20 am »

Of course there's luck in everything, but in this case Kodak, evidently reluctantly, was producing things like top-of-the-line sensors for digital cameras put out by their rivals. Management decided they had it made, didn't push their digital development, and felt could rely forever on film sales even though a quick talk with their R&D folks probably could have put that idea to rest.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 10:20:00 am »

Of course there's luck in everything, but in this case Kodak, evidently reluctantly, was producing things like top-of-the-line sensors for digital cameras put out by their rivals. Management decided they had it made, didn't push their digital development, and felt could rely forever on film sales even though a quick talk with their R&D folks probably could have put that idea to rest.

Perhaps they were just unlucky in having the wrong people at the top.

RSL

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 11:33:44 am »

That's probably pretty close to the truth.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 11:56:40 am »

Perhaps they were just unlucky in having the wrong people at the top.

Of course... the moment I left, the downfall started ;)

RSL

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2015, 12:38:17 pm »

That's gotta be it.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 12:47:41 pm »

Of course... the moment I left, the downfall started ;)

Are we talking countries or companies?  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 01:18:35 pm »

Are we talking countries or companies?  ;D

Touché! Both.

Gulag

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2015, 04:16:20 pm »

George Fisher,  the CEO of Kodak between 1993 and 2000, sincerely believed in the digital revolution,  saw the writings on the wall,  and tried his best to change the corporate culture,  its analog mentality and business model at the time.

Too bad Kodak was too deeply embedded in an era that couldn't envision a future of humanity first interacting with one another via screens, then becoming screens themselves. And this was/is the gigantic sea change that future historians will study, which is on par with the changes happened twice before in similar magnitude: 3500 years ago when the Greeks converted oral culture to alphabet-based culture by adopting the Phoenician invention,  and about 600 years ago when Gutenberg invented printing press purely out of his love of God, who couldn't have foreseen Martin Luther' Reformation splitting the Church using his invention.

There's nothing gained without a loss. 
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2015, 04:47:58 pm »

George Fisher,  the CEO of Kodak between 1993 and 2000, sincerely believed in the digital revolution...

No wonder, he was an outsider (came form Motorola), providing for a fresh pair or eyes and perspective. Then Kodak committed a fatal mistake, replacing him with Daniel Carp, a Kodak old-timer, a quality that was at the time touted as positive. What an old-timer did was to be expected, things Kodak had always done, entrenched in the old, glorious days or film. I've seen that fossilized, old-timer, bureaucratic structure first hand and wasn't surprised it ended as it did.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 05:44:45 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Telecaster

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2015, 05:30:34 pm »

As much as I may regret Kodak's demise, they're a good example of what happens. Humans are terrible at grasping probability and responding rationally to its implications while simultaneously overconfident in their ability to do both. (Read Kahneman's book, mentioned above by Justinr…it's a good one.) In the context of businesses this inevitably—at some point—leads to failure. Non-rational behavior combined with skilled rationalizing of same…y adiós, amigos!

-Dave-

Gulag

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2015, 05:41:50 pm »

No wonder, he was an outsider (came form Motorola), providing for a fresh pair or eyes and perspective. Then Kodak committed a fatal mistake, replacing him with Daniel Carp, a Kodak old-timer, the quality that was at the time touted as positive. What an old-timer did was to be expected, things Kodak had always done, entrenched in the old, glorious days or film. I've seen that fossilized, old-timer, bureaucratic structure first hand and wasn't surprised it ended as it did.

Fisher's approach required short term sacrifices (due to larger spendings on R&D and selling some analog business segments while price was still great) for long-term gain.

Traditionally the US Government has paid the bills for the most expensive and hardest R&D projects from defense, pharmaceutical,  computing to shipping technology. But Fischer was the CEO at the time when the Cold War just ended. As a result,  Uncle Sam had for the first time dramatically reduced its footprint in scientific R&D.

At the same time,  Kodak's shareholders,  particularly institution investors,  were only interested in getting short term stock price gains and increasing dividends. They had no interest in what the future might hold for the company. This was the beginning of an era that Neoliberalism had successfully convinced management that the sole purpose of its existence is to increase shareholders' value via stock price performance, which is essentially a very short term mentality.

That's why I disagree with those who refuse to investigate by simply saying they were stupid.  I believe that Kodak behaved in a very rational econimic (instrumental) rationality that eventually brought its own demise.  Humans today act very rationally out of the same instrumental rationality to destroy their own habitat: the remaining rain forests,  coral reefs,  and on and on to guarantee their own disappearance.

Jenny Holzer famously wrote more than thirty years ago,   "Future is Stupid."
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 05:59:45 pm by Gulag »

— Jean Baudrillard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up