Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mirror Lake  (Read 5470 times)

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
Mirror Lake
« on: August 15, 2015, 11:00:13 am »

The High Uintas. This mountain range encompasses 456,705 acres and stretches nearly 60 miles east to west. It is a spectacular area with hundreds of glacier-formed lakes reflecting blue skies and Utah's highest peaks in clear, cold water. This area was legally designated as wilderness in 1984, by the Utah Wilderness Act. The intent of wilderness designation is to preserve parts of the earth as places dominated by natural forces, not man. Amen.

Accompanied by my wife Lutgart and our brave lab Bailey we made our first trip to this area of Utah. This area normally opens up to visitors in June or July based upon the melting snow. A good friend sent me a map with info and I literally saw it before we hopped in the car! We drove through the splendid Utah countryside arriving with our hiking equipment nearly 2 hours later. Mind the roaming cows please as you drive up the mountain! We stopped at the Provo waterfalls on route 150 and this was amazing. My God, Utah is full of treasure! Not sites that make the headlines but just stunning nonetheless! In any other state something liek Provo waterfalls would be a main attraction but such is the abundance of riches in this state it doesn't draw the attention. We press on.

The drive ends abruptly 15 minutes later! We thought we still had a ways to go but no, the sign says Mirror Lake. So we turn in and drive down the road...literally. Did I mention they call it "High Uintas" for a reason? Our elevation is just over 10,000ft! I don't like heights but this was an easy drive. Mind you a year ago I wouldn't had dared...progress I suppose.

We arrive at a crowded parking lot. Families! Lots and lots of families. And why not? Utah is built for it and Lute and I remember doing this with our kids and best friends. Bailey is an immediate draw for the children and we get numerous request to pet her..please do! Finally we are off, Lutgart breaking in some new hiking shoes, pink laces which she hates. My wife is not an attention hound but we haven't had the chance to replace these atrocities so on we go.

What can I say about Mirror Lake? It's Utah! So that means mountains all around and beautiful clear water. We see boats on the water. We see people fly fishing or fishing from the boats. We watch a guy snag a salmon with his family beside him. Nice catch. And we observe the beauty and blessings of a land that is just dripping with gorgeous views. These people are lucky. I do think to myself how on the other side of the world people are drowning trying to get to a distant, hostile shore for a better life and here I am with my wife living the dream. We are fortunate.

And this image. Well, this is a fragment of what we saw. If this had been a "proper" photography session I would have been here at sunrise but still it was worth it. We hiked through steep countryside to another lake, Lake Fehr and apparently there were 2 more lakes we could have visitied but we were already exhausted, getting hungry and had a 2 hour drive home so we called it. But we'll be back and continue our journeys into the unknown. We'll return to Mirror Lake.

James Clark

Re: Mirror Lake
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 01:10:11 pm »

I'm a big fan of your images in general.  That said, I'm not sold on the tinting on this one, but I'm not sure if it just needs to be a little weaker, or if  I'd prefer straight B&W (or if a warmer tint might be more to my liking).

Still, beautiful composition and mood.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 01:15:26 pm »

A fine image as it is! Thanks for sharing!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 08:18:15 am »

+1. Count me as your second fan. Plus, the accompanying story is great and added a lot to your fine photograph.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 09:09:51 am »

Lakes drive me crazy, lots of water, a little bit of land and lots of sky. Yet they are great if you don't want to take a photograph.

Well done, sky, water and land all interesting. A great capture!

Cheers,
Tom Brown

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 03:25:24 pm »

Amazing definition! What are you using for processing?

A little strong in the sky for my taste... all I can see is a dragon looking for supper.  ;)

mseawell

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 03:28:27 pm »

Thanks for all the comments, especially the dragon comment! That made my wife and I laugh! I use Lightroom 6/SEP 2

Mark
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 07:17:40 pm by mseawell »

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 07:46:05 pm »

A nice photo, too much contrast for me, but the detail and composition is excellent.

Paul
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 08:58:01 pm »

Beautiful location and photograph. I agree with it appearing a bit contrasty. While the clear air would contribute to that effect, the processing seems to have exacerbated it. The edges, especially seem contrasty rather than sharp.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

mseawell

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 09:15:44 pm »

Loving the observations and they are being noted. I've already "rebuilt" this image. On first glance it appears to go easy but of course it isn't! But, I think it is worth it. I also have a horizontal version I want to attack.

Mark
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:48:57 pm by mseawell »

francois

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 03:51:49 am »

Lovely shot and great story! But I join the previous comments about the slightly over-processing.
Francois

KMRennie

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 10:38:08 am »

I really like the image apart from the sky which, to my eyes, looks too contrasty and the large almost central white cloud just grabs my eye. Also, although the range does not go to 255, many of the brighter parts of the clouds look as though they have been "blown" as they all measure the same (238 / 239), the histogram has a large spike at this point usually due to overexposure resxued in pp and have no detail. I love the tree in the water and the processing of this part of the image. I find that just dimming the sky draws my eye back onto the tree. Only my opinion though and I would be more than happy to have taken it. Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up