Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Driver and Windows 10 - SUCCESS!  (Read 10589 times)

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Z3100 Driver and Windows 10 - SUCCESS!
« on: August 14, 2015, 04:08:18 pm »

I'm setting up a new machine with Window 10 as the OS and when I try to load either the Win 7 64-bit or the Win 8 64-bit driver, Win 10 notifies me that the driver will not be installed because it is not properly digitally signed.

Has anyone had time yet to figure out a way around this, if there actually is one? I really don't want to keep my current, older Win 7 machine around just to run my Z3100.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:53:48 pm by Jim Cole »
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

tektrader

Re: Z3100 Driver and Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 05:18:21 pm »

That's odd... Mine loaded up just fine and its running.

Cant you just select it off the list in "add a printer" ? Those drivers are from Microsoft and should work.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 05:25:26 pm »

Hi, I can add the default Windows driver, but that only provides very limited capabilities. That's the one that is loaded if you do not do the "Have Disk" option.

Did you load the actual HP 64-bit driver downloaded from HP? If so, I'm curious what you did differently. I tried several different drivers from HP, including the one used on my Win 7 machine and all were denied.

Thanks
Jim Cole

printbreakr

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:26:59 pm »

Here's how to disable driver signature verification: http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

Otherwise you'll have to get signed drivers from HP.

Related: I have not had issues installing Epson drivers on a new Windows 10 system one day after the Windows 10 release. They seem to be a bit ahead of the curve on this one. If only they cared so much about clogging . . .
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:20:43 am by printbreakr »

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 01:54:40 am »

printbreakr,

Thanks for that tip. I didn't know about that functionality. However, after trying it twice using option #7 and each time trying with a different driver, I still got the same "not digitally signed" failure.

Maybe there is something else that is not allowing the disable function to not work.

If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Jim
Jim Cole

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 08:10:50 pm »

While I'm still trying to figure this out, I noticed an odd behavior on printbreakr's suggested procedure.

1) Normally, when selecting an option in Windows, there is a confirmation step which doesn't seem to occur here. When I press the "7" key or the "F7" key on the Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/Startup Settings page, the computer goes directly to reboot without confirming my selection.

2) When returning to the Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/Startup Settings page, the seventh option is always to "disable" the certificates. It would seem that if the certificates have indeed been disabled, the option would change to "enable" on the next visit.

Has anyone else played with these features yet?

I think I'm going to try using the 32-bit driver and see what happens.

EDIT/UPDATE: The 32-bit driver  wouldn't even start to load as it is "incompatible" with the operating system.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 08:45:08 pm by Jim Cole »
Jim Cole

printbreakr

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 10:48:42 pm »

1) Normally, when selecting an option in Windows, there is a confirmation step which doesn't seem to occur here. When I press the "7" key or the "F7" key on the Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/Startup Settings page, the computer goes directly to reboot without confirming my selection.

2) When returning to the Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/Startup Settings page, the seventh option is always to "disable" the certificates. It would seem that if the certificates have indeed been disabled, the option would change to "enable" on the next visit.

It certainly seems like there may be a bug at the point where you try to disable sig verification. Instead of making the change, something goes wrong and causes your system to reboot before making the change. Microsoft seems to take signature verification for drivers very seriously given how hard it is to disable, so this might not be an easy fix.

I wish I could offer more suggestions but I'm just not that much of a Windows expert. I would suggest you find a forum where you can speak to someone who knows Windows inside out, especially low-level operations like drivers. I'm sure there is some way around this, but it would probably take someone who knows the ins and outs of how and where drivers are installed to do it manually. One of the Stack Exchange networks (Super User seems like it would be most appropriate, though Stack Overflow might work as well) might yield you a solution. Alternatively, you might try Microsoft's own answers site.

Have you tried to contact HP? Putting some pressure on them might help as well. If HP released correct drivers that would be the most correct and easiest solution.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 01:20:33 am »

It certainly seems like there may be a bug at the point where you try to disable sig verification. Instead of making the change, something goes wrong and causes your system to reboot before making the change. Microsoft seems to take signature verification for drivers very seriously given how hard it is to disable, so this might not be an easy fix.

I wish I could offer more suggestions but I'm just not that much of a Windows expert. I would suggest you find a forum where you can speak to someone who knows Windows inside out, especially low-level operations like drivers. I'm sure there is some way around this, but it would probably take someone who knows the ins and outs of how and where drivers are installed to do it manually. One of the Stack Exchange networks (Super User seems like it would be most appropriate, though Stack Overflow might work as well) might yield you a solution. Alternatively, you might try Microsoft's own answers site.

Have you tried to contact HP? Putting some pressure on them might help as well. If HP released correct drivers that would be the most correct and easiest solution.

Thanks for the links. I just looked briefly on HP's site and it looks like printer support has been dropped for a lot of legacy printers. I was going to open a ticket, but you need a current warranty to do that.

There may be some access afforded in the "certificate" section of the god mode, but I don't know how to use any of that stuff. The super users group may be able to help with that.
Jim Cole

tektrader

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 06:45:19 am »

It says on the HP site that WIN 10 is supported for the Z3100. Go to the link on the bottom

HP Printers - Windows 10 Compatible Printers

This document is for HP printers and the Windows 10 operating system.

Confirm that your HP printer is supported on a computer or tablet running the Windows 10 operating system, and find out how to install the best available print driver and software.

If you are viewing this document from the Windows 10 computer that is connected to your printer, you can quickly install the driver using the HP Printer Install Wizard.

The HP Printer Install Wizard automatically finds the best available print driver for your HP Printer. It is available only for Windows 10, 8, and 7. Download and run Printer Install Wizard () a free tool from HP. When this link is clicked, HP Printer Install Wizard is downloaded using your Internet browser's download capabilities.

Otherwise, use one of the following sections to see if your printer is supported and get steps to install available drivers. To quickly locate your printer model, click or scroll to the section for your printer and type the CTRL and F keys. When the search box displays, enter the printer model number to automatically find your printer.

HP Designjet Z3100 HP GL2 and RTL Driver

HP Designjet Z3100 Photo

HP Designjet Z3100 Postscript

Windows in-OS driver

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04658195 

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 09:28:38 am »

Hi Tektrader,

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

According to the link you provided, the Z3100 is only supported in Win 10 by the Win 10 built-in driver, which only provides basic functionality (paper size and choice, at least from what I see after it's loaded) and is no longer supported by a fully functional HP driver. I think the built-in is the one you mentioned earlier.

What driver do you actually have loaded on your machine? Did you start with a clean Win 10 machine or convert to Win 10 on a machine that was already running Win 7 or Win 8?

Thanks again for your help.

Jim Cole

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Success: Z3100 Driver and Windows 10
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 12:48:29 pm »

Finally!

I had to do an extra step or three:

I disconnected the LAN cable from the printer and then removed the z3100 from the list of installed printers.

Then I had to turn off the auto driver install in Win 10:

Open File explorer (Win+E)
Right click "This PC" and select properties
Click "Advanced system settings" and select "Hardware" tab
Click "Device Installation Settings"
Select "No, let me choose what to do" and check "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

Then:

1) Reboot
2) Re-connect the LAN cable from the printer
3) Added printer by using the IP address method
4) Followed the prompts to install a new driver and used the "Have Disk" option
5) Located the Win 7 64-bit driver on my hard drive
6) Selected the correct option (24" or 44")
7) Bingo, I now have a fully functional driver.

Seems the issue was trying to install the new driver over the generic Win 10 one.

Well, that only took a day and a half...

Thanks for everyone's help.
Jim Cole

tektrader

Re: Z3100 Driver and Windows 10 - SUCCESS!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 07:06:20 pm »

Glad it worked out, I still have an address problem with Ethernet where I cant get the advanced functionality from the software provided and often have to reinstall the driver.

I am teetering on jut going back to USB as its only being used on one machine.

Think I will or a 10 meter USB cable later today and try to sort this finally. 

My Win 10 install was over Win7 not a clean install

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Re: Z3100 Driver and Windows 10 - SUCCESS!
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 09:47:59 pm »

Good luck, I hope you get your network issues solved.

I think maybe the previous install on Win 7 and then the upgrade to Win 10 made your driver install less of an issue.

Thanks for you help.
Jim Cole
Pages: [1]   Go Up