Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canada's Deep South  (Read 1991 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Canada's Deep South
« on: August 14, 2015, 10:14:36 am »

I know - what an oxymoron, but, yes, the Great White North has a "Deep South".

Along the north shore of Lake Erie there is a habitat zone called the Carolinian Forest. It's the only true deciduous forest in Canada, comprised of tulip trees, black gum, various hickories as well as sugar maple and beech - the type of forest one finds further south in the US. The best location to experience this is a place called Backus Woods just north of Port Rowan / Long Point. Another forest nearby - Jackson-Gunn Old Growth Forest - is perhaps the last remnant of original forest left in southern Ontario. Biologist figure it has remained undisturbed for over 600 years; i.e. pre-first contact. The rest of southern Ontario (and much of northern Ontario) has been mowed of its original growth forests or selectively logged of its best trees, except this one small place.

We spent a few days hiking, photographing and birding in this area and in another "remnant" habitat further west in Windsor (across from Detroit) called the Ojibway Tallgrass Prairie. Both are beautiful places if your a nature-nut like my wife and I are. Spectacular butterflies at this time of year in the tallgrass prairie plus a remnant Oak Savanna as well.

The four landscapes below are shot w/ D800E on tripod, except #1 which was handheld; processed in LR6.1.1

1 - Edge of Dusk: 18mm; ƒ5.6 @ 1/100; ISO400 –1-2/3 EV
2 - Ferns: 20mm; ƒ16 @ 2sec; ISO100 –1EV
3 - Morning Light: 22mm; ƒ11 @ 1.3sec; ISO 100 –1EV
4 - Dusk: 105mm; ƒ11 @ 1/20; ISO400 +1EV

More on Flickr - butterflies, wildflowers and the like.

Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Lloyd Mayeda

Re: Canada's Deep South
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 10:28:21 am »

Terry, thanks for shedding light (so to speak) on some of the lesser known parts of Ontario.

My particular favourites of your well composed and exposed photographs would be the third (Morning Light) and last (Dusk).

When working for the Ministry of Natural Resources in the mid-70s I was always excited to travel to Long Point and environs as I knew that we would be visiting a very special part of the province.

PS your Flickr link - butterflies, wildflowers, etc. is also well worth a visit!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:35:48 am by Lloyd Mayeda »

stamper

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 10:41:15 am »

#2 and#3 have wonderful tones and processing. Not sure about #4 though. It seems out of place compared with the other three.

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 11:26:58 am »

I particularly like #3, and on your flicker, "Port Rowan boathouses #2". Thank you!

I missed out on a number of photo opportunities when I lived in Toledo OH (1 hour from Windsor), and the tallgrass prairie was one of them. Nice to know that there are a few places in S. Ontario that are natural - driving through on the highway to Stratford or Toronto, I thought the farmland looked a lot like Ohio. Are your woods on sandy soil? The woodlands due west of Toledo have scattered tiny sand-dunes.

How are the north of lake woods and marshes for migrants? The south side, east of Toledo, has some well-known birding sites, Magee Marsh being the famous one for warblers.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 01:26:23 pm »

Hi Nancy,

Yes, farmland dominates the "flatlands" from Windsor through to London and the moraines and escarpment areas through to Toronto. Almost the whole area along the north shore of Lake Erie is one big sand plain with undulating dunes scattered throughout, now forested or farmed on.

All of these places are of great interest to birders for the spring and autumn migrations, in particular the Long Point area as it is a natural staging area and "funnel" for songbirds, waterbirds, hawks & accipiters heading south in the autumn. When we left the Port Rowan area, there were already about 50 sandhill cranes in a ploughed field. That number will grow into the hundreds through September.

Terry
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Lloyd Mayeda

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 01:43:32 pm »

Nancy,

Point Pelee National Park (west of Long Point) on Lake Erie's north shore in addition to being the most southerly point in Canada is know as the Warbler Capital of North America and the best place for observing migrating birds in inland North America.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/on/pelee/natcul/natcul6.aspx

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 02:39:52 pm »

All nice but I love #3. It has such nice atmosphere. Good work.

I grew up 40 Miles from Detroit and have been to Ontario a number of times but never knew about these old growth forests. Looks like beautiful country and you photographed it well.
-MattB

Arlen

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 12:13:37 am »

All nice but I love #3. It has such nice atmosphere. Good work.

I'm a few months late (out of town when this was posted), but just have to join the chorus praising #3. It is special.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 12:32:51 am »

They look film like.  Nice shots.
Pages: [1]   Go Up