Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does strong UV light damage sensors?  (Read 7091 times)

Weldon Brewster

• http://www.weldonbrewster.com
Does strong UV light damage sensors?
« on: August 14, 2015, 09:38:39 am »

I've got an industrial shoot of hospital grade UV sterilizers.  Humans can't even be in the room when the machine is operating.  Any chance this is going to damage the sensor on my camera?  Thanks in advance.
Weldon Brewster
www.weldonbrewster.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Does strong UV light damage sensors?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 09:55:20 am »

I've got an industrial shoot of hospital grade UV sterilizers.  Humans can't even be in the room when the machine is operating.  Any chance this is going to damage the sensor on my camera?  Thanks in advance.

Hi Weldon,

Hard to say. It depends on the amount/level of light, it's emitted wavelength distribution, and duration. Also, most lenses do not transmit a lot of UV-light below 350nm, so the more glass elements your lens has, the lower the risk. Also, if the intensity is high, I assume that the exposure time will be short if an actual image needs to be made. A DSLR will of course reduce the actual exposure time to the moment that the mirror is flipped out of the way, the shutter is opened, and then the exposure time that is set.

The risk is that of bleaching the Bayer CFA (unless a monochrome sensor is used), and if prolonged exposure takes place, to upper layer of the silicon chip which will warm up a bit more than the inner lower layers.

Not sure what you want to record, if it even has to be the actual event, and if you can use one or more UV filters on the lens?

Just some thoughts to contemplate.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Weldon Brewster

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 10:11:41 am »

Bart, thank you for the quick reply.  The spec sheet says 254-nm and it is high intensity.  I'm somewhat concern about the possibility of "bleaching the Bayer CFA."  Do you think a UV filter would help?  I'm also thinking that I might use my Sony rather than my Phase One in case I fry it.
Weldon Brewster
www.weldonbrewster.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:50:34 am »

Bart, thank you for the quick reply.  The spec sheet says 254-nm and it is high intensity.  I'm somewhat concern about the possibility of "bleaching the Bayer CFA."  Do you think a UV filter would help?  I'm also thinking that I might use my Sony rather than my Phase One in case I fry it.

Weldon, do they specify what "high intensity" is, and anything about an emitted spectrum? I'd not be too worried if the glass of the lens stopped all wavelengths anyway. To shoot an image with 254 nm would probably require Quartz lenses or something like that, because normal optical glass absorbs a lot of short UV wavelengths (so the more lens elements the more absorption in the lens).

And consider if you actually need to shoot the UV exposure itself (it will probably look rather blue with some red mixed in if the wavelengths are long/strong enough to make it through the lens), maybe you can simulate it (unless they are looking for some change in the subject matter while it's being exposed)? Maybe it's possible for them to measure the spectum of the transmitted light through your lens?

Maybe a UV filter is just too effective, depending on what needs to be recorded, but if there is some longer wave UV emitted as well, and it's of high enough intensity/long enough exposure time, there might eventually be some bleaching of the CFA dyes. Try calculating (if you can find the details of) the expected exposure level, and compare that to a couple of 100,000 exposures of normal outdoor UV levels, to get an idea of the risk, if any.

Here are some chart of some transmission spectra of regular glass (optical glass may have a bit more transmission than regular glass):

The thicker the glass is, and the more layers there are, the less UV exposure there will be (for an actual image and for damage).
If the UV is supposed to provide for an actual exposure of an image, and there is enough of it, also consider that it will require a different focus position (behind the subject).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:55:07 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Chris Livsey

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 11:47:02 am »

I presume this is a unit to be used in rooms for cleaning rather than an steriliser unit for preparing injections etc?
This kind of thing, which carries photographs so they are possible!!
https://www.uvc-lightproducts.com/mbr/?product=uv-c-mobile-room-steriliser

In which case is this data any use in calculating the problem?
UV-C wavelength: 253.7 nm
UV intensity at 1m: 165 uW/cm2

I would have thought that any exposure, presumably as you will be out of the room for safety done on a self timer delay, will be sufficiently short to record detail and thus limit the amount UV entering the lens and hitting the sensor.

This one incorporates a digital camera in the kit to monitor, that would indicate little damage can be expected:
http://www.mrsa-uv.com/uploads/8/9/7/2/8972491/helix_450xl_brochure.pdf
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:55:00 am by Chris Livsey »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 11:49:42 am »

Weldon,

If you don't use liveview, the risk will be minimal. A UV filter is a good idea, anyway, it may also minimize imaging issues.  

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Weldon Brewster

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 01:10:54 pm »

I appreciate the everyone's reply and it would be fun to see what happens (might be an expensive lesson.)  After talking to someone at the company I'm shooting for today, I found out they use demo bulbs for trade shows and demos.  I'm going to make it simple and use the demo bulbs with blue gels to simulate the UV light.  Thanks again for your replies.
Weldon Brewster
www.weldonbrewster.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up