Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best time of day for aerials?  (Read 8905 times)

andyptak

Best time of day for aerials?
« on: August 14, 2015, 08:33:10 am »

I'm working in Cancun next week and decided I'd treat myself to a helicopter ride.

I was planning an early morning shoot to catch that great light and because the sun will be directly illuminating the beach and hotel facades. The sun's rays will also just bounce off the water and not penetrate too far. The area is known for it's translucent, turquoise water so maybe I should shoot at noon when the sun's rays would be at 90 degrees and really show off that clear water? That screws up my buildings then, with little modeling on them.

I'm thinking that I should do the early morning thing and then just fudge the water in post. (???)

Anyone with experience in aerials have any ideas? Thanks

Herbc

Re: Best time of day for aerials?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 09:05:19 am »

I haven't shot aeirals in a long time, but if you are looking for scientific revealing shots, am is not a great time due to the shadows.
That said it is by far the best for "artistic" work.  The shadows are what makes the shot.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 06:50:10 pm »

Morning.  Hands down.  The earlier the better.  The air is clear and, most important, smooth.  As the day wears on and thermals develop, it just gets rougher and rougher. 

If you want to see deep into the water, use a polarizer.  In fact, if you have enough stop, use a polarizer anyway. Coastal atmosphere is notoriously hazy. Make sure they allow you to remove the shooting door off the helicopter. You can't shoot through the plastic windows with a pola.

Minimum shutter speed is 1/1000th. 

Have fun.  Helicopters are magic carpets.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 05:20:58 am »

I took a hot air balloon ride just south of Alice Springs in the early morning, the shadows were great.

I had a helicopter ride in the Kimberleys NT. The helicopter had no doors and lap sash seat belts, just be prepared. It was a great ride but very scary!

Cheers,

Tom Brown

andyptak

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 01:48:06 pm »

Peter, the use of a polarizer makes sense for the water. However, I'll lose a stop, stop and a half and I wanted to keep the ISO no higher than 400. If I'm shooting at the shutter speed you recommended, I think I'd have to go higher - ??

I want to keep my F stop above maximum wide open for better quality. Most lenses become questionable at the edges cranked wide open. I'll be shooting with a Sony A mount 24-70 and a Sony A7r.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:50:27 pm »

I want to keep my F stop above maximum wide open for better quality. Most lenses become questionable at the edges cranked wide open. I'll be shooting with a Sony A mount 24-70 and a Sony A7r.

You're well equipped.  I'd let nothing come between me and high shutter speeds.

I'd also do some tests with your short zoom and see just how much it suffers at the edges wide open. If your shutter speed is too slow, it'll all be soft.  Even wide open, you may lose less than you think.

Take the pola and use it if you have enough stop.  It helps lots of things besides seeing into the water.

A good headphones/intercom connection to the pilot is absolutely essential. 

Be prepared to shoot lots of frames.  Shoot everything that moves and most things that don't.  You'll be surprised.

Above all, relax and concentrate.  It's a stressful environment.

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 06:15:48 am »

I just shot a house from a helicopter Saturday.  I used the KenLab KS-6 stabilizer and shot with both my 24-70 Canon and very old but sharp 80-200 Canon on my 5DS.  My shutter speed was 1/1000 and the aperture was around 6.3.  I was quite happy with the sharpness.  I shot in late afternoon light.  Jim

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 10:04:57 am »

I just shot a house from a helicopter Saturday.  I used the KenLab KS-6 stabilizer and shot with both my 24-70 Canon and very old but sharp 80-200 Canon on my 5DS.  My shutter speed was 1/1000 and the aperture was around 6.3.  I was quite happy with the sharpness.  I shot in late afternoon light.  Jim

How do you like the new Canon, Jim?
Craig Lamson Photo

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 11:32:57 am »

very old but sharp 80-200 Canon.   Jim

I have one, love it. Wouldn't trade it for the newer ones. Soooo sharp.

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 11:48:42 am »

Craig, So far, it's working well.  I do find with my 17 and 24 a need to sharpen the corners 100% in C1.  I'm getting used to the file sizes and the ability to crop in is nice.  Jim

andyptak

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 11:58:39 am »

One more thing occurred to me.

With all of that sky and sea, I should set the AE to minus one.

Sound right?

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 02:24:28 pm »

Craig, So far, it's working well.  I do find with my 17 and 24 a need to sharpen the corners 100% in C1.  I'm getting used to the file sizes and the ability to crop in is nice.  Jim

Thanks Jim,  Im really interested in being able to crop.  I'm on the fence, Sony or Canon.  Leaning Canon, service being a big part of it.

Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: [1]   Go Up