Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refilling R2400 cartridges from Epson 110ml cart's  (Read 17181 times)

David R. Williams

Refilling R2400 cartridges from Epson 110ml cart's
« on: March 08, 2006, 02:11:32 pm »

With the ink for the Epson R2400 being the same used in the larger format models (4800, etc.), I'm wondering if anyone has experience with using the 110ml or 220mll cartridges as a less expensive (per ml) source of ink for refilling the R2400 cartridges.

If you've done this, what has your experience been?  What type of cartridge do you use in the R2400 (standard Epson, or another supplier?), how do you manage and reset the ink levels for the installed cartridges in the R2400, and how do you refill the R2400 cartridges?  Finally, how do you store the opened 110ml or 220ml cartridges?

Thanks in advance...

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 04:21:09 pm »

With the ink for the Epson R2400 being the same used in the larger format models (4800, etc.), I'm wondering if anyone has experience with using the 110ml or 220mll cartridges as a less expensive (per ml) source of ink for refilling the R2400 cartridges.

If you've done this, what has your experience been?  What type of cartridge do you use in the R2400 (standard Epson, or another supplier?), how do you manage and reset the ink levels for the installed cartridges in the R2400, and how do you refill the R2400 cartridges?  Finally, how do you store the opened 110ml or 220ml cartridges?

Thanks in advance...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59800\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm seriously considering this, only downside (aside from the potential for making a big mess) seems to be the large up-front investment in a set of 4800 ink cartridges and the refillable cartridges. From what I understand you cannot refill the OEM Epson cartridges; you have to buy refillable blanks from someplace like Weink or MIS, along with a chip re-setter. If you search on DPreview in the printing forum there are some threads from users who are doing this.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 01:02:25 pm »

There is an ebay retailer in the UK refilling original Epson cartridges with original Epson inks from these printers, so it must be possible. I have no idea how he does it though.
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 03:07:59 pm »

If you're going to refill, why not use clone inks?  They're a quarter the cost of Epson's and according to reports, are indistiguishable from the original.

Peter

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 05:36:37 pm »

If you're going to refill, why not use clone inks?  They're a quarter the cost of Epson's and according to reports, are indistiguishable from the original.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60089\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That may have been true for the previous UltraChrome inks but I've not seen any convincing comparisons done to indicate that the 3rd party inks can match the K3 inks with regard to metamerism, bronzing, and DMax. The main reason I bought the 2400 was because of the quality of the K3 inks, image quality is more important than price for me so I'd rather use the original inks.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

phlai

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 07:10:12 am »

I used a refill system bought in Hong Kong.
No problems encounter in using the continue ink system.
Initial I spend lot of money to buy the 15ml ink cartidge(HK$90each).  The initial cost of 220ml ink(HK$545 each) is expensive but then the running cost is very cheap.

I don't think it is reasonable to buy a expensive printer and use generic ink because you can't get a perfect result.

abaazov

• http://
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 11:35:31 am »

phlai do u have a link to where you bought your refill system?
how much was it?

thanks...
amnon

phlai

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 11:08:20 pm »

The continuous ink system is bought from i-best from a local computer mall.
The whole system cost HK$500.
I think the system is made in China but it did not have any label or marking indicate the origin of maker.
The shop did not have any linked web site and I found many similar products in Hong Kong.
I used a 10ml slip tip syringe to aspirate the ink from the opening of 220ml ink cartidge and injected it into each.

[attachment=355:attachment][attachment=356:attachment][attachment=357:attachment
]

CharlieCharlie

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 11:13:13 am »

I have been using a continuous ink system purchased from eBay for over a year with absolutely no problems for my Epson R1800 and  R2400. I have also been searching for the best one on the net but they are look the same but with different names.

It looked quite simple when I got with tubes attached to empty cartridges and tanks. How different would it be from one manufacturer to the next and is it worth paying $200 for one (often empty) when I can get it for under $80 on eBay already with ink? If you properly install it and take care of your printer well such as turning it off when not in use, the system will save you hundreds and even thousands of dollars a year.

All printer manufacturers make most of their money off of selling you their expensive cartridges so it is in their best interest and the interest of websites selling the manfucturer's printing supplies to bad mouth products that will block their profits. Beware of bias forums set up by such websites. There are many of them all over the internet.

The best thing to do is to look for actual buyers of these systems on eBay and read their comments. I have also seen posts on forums from what looks like the ink system manufacturer's themselves self praising their own products and pretending to be actual customers.  

eBay members are real and ordinary people who have no bias.  Printers are so cheap now but the cartridges have remain very expensive for obvious reasons (making money and breaking the backs of hard working individuals). My system came with a 60 day money back return policy but I had it for over a year and have seen no problems. The bulk ink is very cheap at only $25 to fill all 8 of my colors with 100 ml each or 8x100 ml of ink. 800 ml of ink is about 80 cartridges that I would have had to purchase from Epson if I did not have this system. Each Epson cartridge is around $14 so you do the math ($14 X 80) and find out how much I saved for $25. When purchasing a system just make sure you buy it from a seller with a reputable feedback.

Chris
Menomonee Falls, WI

CharlieCharlie

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 11:14:45 am »

To solve most people’s worries about purchasing the correct Continuous Ink System for their printer, you may want to try http://www.kyson.yangportal.com. They offer a 30 day free trial and their ink is made in the USA. Not imported. They also provide a Printer Protection Program where if their product damages your printer in any way, they will pay for the cost of replacing the printer.

Chris

JMG

• Afrique Togo
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 05:47:02 am »

My first language is French, but I am happy to share my experience of one of 3 CIS systems I have tested. Hope this will help those of you looking for a good CIS for your R2400 or R1800.

You can also see my reviews in French in other French forums.

I've tested several continuous ink systems and I was disappointed either by the quality of the inks or the CIS
I had first tested the MIS system but after too many problems I had given up:
- the cartridges reset did not work
- the ink feed ribbons/lines were wedged
- I have waited for 3 weeks and no reply from MIS

MIS CIS

I had also tested a system from Ebay seen in the URL below:
Ebay's CIS

- the system functions well but inks are not of the quality I expected

Here is a system I found which gives me complete satisfaction from efillink:

Efillink

I received my package from Efillink last month. Packing is of quality and the parts are well protected in the package. I print more than 500 picts and i'm very happy.
I use this with Efillink's inks:
- Epson Premium Glossy paper ==> SPR2400 PremGlsy PhotoRPM.icc
- Epson Semi-gloss paper ==> SPR2400 PremSmgls PhotoRPM.icc
- Moab KOKOPELLI paper ==> MOAB KokopelliS R2400 K3 PK.icm
- Kodak Professionnal Gloss ==> KProIJPaper_EpSPR2400_v2.icm
I love this paper...

I always print in RPM mode.
There is a version of the R2400 Ink System Pro that allows exchange of the PK and MK cartridges. Both cartridges are connected to the system and they are easily interchangable:
Swap

I did not find other suppliers who has the chip/cartridge that reset so nicely.(The chip will reset at 20% to 90% )

9 syringes are provided with the system for filling the bottles and the cartridges

You can see my CIS in the URL below:
My CIS

efillink

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 03:18:41 am »

I think the system is made in China but it did not have any label or marking indicate the origin of maker.
The shop did not have any linked web site and I found many similar products in Hong Kong.
I used a 10ml slip tip syringe to aspirate the ink from the opening of 220ml ink cartidge and injected it into each.

[attachment=355:attachment][attachment=356:attachment][attachment=357:attachment
]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60972\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

phlai,

I happen to know the company that manufacturer the CIS you purchased.  I also see that you are using Epson 220 ml cartridge for the CIS and have issue with what seems to be clogging.  In your other forum posting, you said you have to run the auto nozzle check or have to turn off the printer daily to get a good nozzle check pattern.  You should consider lifting the ink bottles a couple of inches, but not to elevate it to above the cartridge.  I believe you will have the problem solved.  Write ot me if you need further assistance if you still have clogging issues with Epson inks.

Incidentally, Epson ink may be better than 3 rd party ink.  As you suggested.  But I also have learned from people who is using US made pigment inks with excellent results.  The one thing that stands out is the bronzing effect is less with the 3rd party ink from a specific manufacturer.

efillink

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 06:07:11 pm »

]
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

phlai

I have taken a look of your photos.  You ink bottles are too low.  Knowing the CIS you are using.  The ink ribbon might have been crimped and flow restricted.  If not, just raise the ink bottles a little.  You will not falsely saying Epson ink clog as you did in dpreview.  

Look at what JM has set up : [a href=\"http://www.jmg-photos.fr/photos/thumbnails.php?album=37]http://www.jmg-photos.fr/photos/thumbnails.php?album=37[/url]

scho37

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 08:27:16 am »

I've been using the MIS K4 inks and refillable spongeless carts.  They both work well with the 2400 and print quality is excellent.  I also have a new technique for producing B&W and toned monochrome images without resorting to expensive RIPs.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat...thread=19661755
Pages: [1]   Go Up