Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PhotoPlus Expo?  (Read 11051 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
PhotoPlus Expo?
« on: August 13, 2015, 08:10:34 pm »

Anyone going to New York in October?  I'm gonna check it out.  I don't typically go to these things, but I'm always up for visiting New York and it might be nice to catch up on gear... you can always use more gear!  Right?

CB

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
Re: PhotoPlus Expo?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 08:56:50 pm »

Yeah - I go most years for the portfolio reviews, will be there this year.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 09:04:41 pm »

DT will of course be here running the booth with Phase/Mamiya/Eizo/Arca/Cambo/Profoto gear. Feel free to email me for expo passes.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 11:30:26 pm »

I plan to be there.  It would be great to catch up with you.  It's been a while.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Chris Barrett

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 07:58:39 am »

You know any Brazilian joints?   ;)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 09:18:18 am »

My girlfriend and I already signed up.  Usually there are a few after parties as well.  And most years the Architectural Photographers sub-group of the ASMP has an get together to talk about the industry and want not. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Barrett

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 10:47:49 am »

Hey, I just joined the ASMP.... will check that out!

JoeKitchen

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 11:05:43 am »

Hey, I just joined the ASMP.... will check that out!

Glad to have you Chris!  I think you would be a great asset for the community, not to mention almost every well known architectural photographer in the country is a member. 

By the way, we have a private forum for the architectural photographers in the ASMP that is very active.  It is not quite setup like this forum or as condusive to posting work by its layout, more business oriented.  Overall though, a great resource since everyone shoots the same thing. 

You need to be invited into the group, which is pretty easy by just reaching out to one of the moderators.  I believe Jim Cavanaugh is one of them.  After that, you're pretty much in and have access.

Jeff Totaro use to be one of the sub-group presidents and pushed for a get together every year.  Last year, he stepped down and the new presidents opted for an online chit-chat, which I thought was not so great since we already had the forum.  I am hoping they decide to have a get together this year again.  Sooner or later, we will probably start talking about it on that forum. 

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 11:53:21 am »

I've never been to New York, so this is a pretty good excuse!
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

pixjohn

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 06:59:45 pm »

I spent a good part of my life living in NYC and can say it is one of the best cities in the world to visit and explore. I have not attended a photo expo the past 10 years, Its ok to visit if you live in NYC but not sure its worth the money to travel to NYC just for the show. If you have always wanted to visit NYC its a good excuse and tax deduction at the same time.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 09:48:31 am »

Honestly I feel more at home walking the busy streets of Manhattan then anywhere else I have been.  New York is New York, and there is no other place like it. 

The expo is a great time of the year to visit the city.  It use to be that it was just the Expo, but it has grown substantially.  The Expo is still the main thing, but many off shoots have popped up; Hassy & BranColor have a separate event a couple of blocks away.  There are a couple portfolio reviews that take place at the same time.  Also, since so many photographers come to the event from out of town, many parties and events happen each night.  Weather is not too hot or too cold.  Not to mention, it is NYC; there are so many great photo opportunities if you just want to explore the city on your own for a little while.  (Just keep in mind it is illegal to use a tripod in any city park; the park rangers will confiscate it if you are caught.) 

I plan on being there for part of the show, would love to get a drink with anyone from the forum who may show up too. 

Ken R

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 11:14:10 am »

Honestly I feel more at home walking the busy streets of Manhattan then anywhere else I have been.  New York is New York, and there is no other place like it. 

The expo is a great time of the year to visit the city.  It use to be that it was just the Expo, but it has grown substantially.  The Expo is still the main thing, but many off shoots have popped up; Hassy & BranColor have a separate event a couple of blocks away.  There are a couple portfolio reviews that take place at the same time.  Also, since so many photographers come to the event from out of town, many parties and events happen each night.  Weather is not too hot or too cold.  Not to mention, it is NYC; there are so many great photo opportunities if you just want to explore the city on your own for a little while.  (Just keep in mind it is illegal to use a tripod in any city park; the park rangers will confiscate it if you are caught.) 

I plan on being there for part of the show, would love to get a drink with anyone from the forum who may show up too. 

Good summary.

I went a few years ago and it is worth going. Highly suggest to go to the off site events / demonstrations as well. I went to the Digital Transitions event, the Leica event and the Broncolor/Hassy one and they were all worth it and in each one I was able to handle and use high end gear. Some you have to sign up in advance. Plan ahead and your time there will be much more productive.

The main Expo (convention center floor) is somewhat hectic (typical), specially the camera booths, but there is a LOT more than just cameras/lenses. Many cool products are there to experience. There is also some amazing photographic work on display. The Epson booth was particularly impressive. The prints by Timothy Greenfield-Sanders (celebrity portraits) were worth going into the EXPO. Absolutely Stunning. 

If you like photo gear and photography you won't regret going.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 03:23:00 pm »

It's a great show and . . .
                                     you can run the New York City Marathon while you're there (as I did last year)!
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 04:14:43 pm »

Michael and I will be there and we are trying to find a place for a casual Thursday get together after the show.  We'll make an announcement if we can make this happen.

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 07:24:16 am »

I go every year. It's daddy's day off.

On Friday I drive to the Weehawken ferry which is about 100 minutes from my home in North Wales, PA. The ferry drops you right at the Javitts convention center. After walking the show for few hours, I catch a cab to the Carnegie Deli for lunch followed by another cab ride to B&H Photo, before heading back to the show for a final walk before catching the ferry to drive home.

Since I've been a huge Fuji-X fan for the past two years, I plan on spending a good amount of time at their booth. It's always packed since they introduced the excellent Fuji-X cameras.

The Epson gallery display is usually awesome and inspirational. All good stuff!

If anyone is interested in joining me for lunch, send PM.

Cheers.
Bud James

www.budjames.photography

Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 07:40:46 am »

Hi Bud, just so you know, the Carneigie has been shut down for a couple of months. It seems they were found to be siphoning off natural gas through a jry rigged connection prior to the meter.  I would check their website to get the latest info.
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell
Pages: [1]   Go Up