Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I getting this 'street' thing?  (Read 33724 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Am I getting this 'street' thing?
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2015, 01:53:04 pm »

Interesting. I didn't check Isaac's history before I said what I said. Turns out he's been on here just a bit more than half the time I've been on here, so I'm surprised I didn't see the fence post. Knowing this, in the future I'll pay close attention to what Isaac has to say about the fence photography genre.
Yes, that fence post post was quite memorable, if I remember correctly...    ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2015, 02:14:37 pm »

Well, next time Isaac talks about the technique of fence post photography I'll pay close attention. ::)
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Isaac

« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2015, 05:10:34 pm »

If Isaac had done ANY photography he'd have posted it on LuLa by now…

You have said that before and been told photographs have been posted.

He claims to be an expert on several genres…

You have said that before and been told that no such claims have been made.

During that time I've never seen Isaac post a picture.

You have said that before and been told that your comment is there for all to see in a 2012 discussion of photos I had posted.

In February this year, you commented in that same discussion of photos I had posted -- "Come on, Isaac, you're pretty good at fence posts. Let's see more."

Your continued baseless-accusations will persuade people to disregard whatever you have to say, as at-best unreliable.

RSL

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2015, 05:15:53 pm »

Looks as if you're sort of running out of insults.

How about a link to the fence post picture. Is there just one? just one post? Just one picture?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:42:50 pm by RSL »

Isaac

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2015, 06:02:34 pm »

Evaluating an argument on whether someone chooses to post a photograph on this form is sophistry.

My POV would stand or fall depending on the quality of the argument including the illustrating image.

You may be interested in improving your own understanding by discovering the ways your current understanding is just wrong. You may regard argument as a tool for discovering what seems to be true.

Other people may not be interested in discovering that their understanding is just wrong. Other people may regard argument as a tool for defending their current understanding as The Truth.

For them - show me your photos -  becomes a way to evade a conclusion they do not wish to accept.

mezzoduomo

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2015, 07:34:13 pm »

It's pretty obvious Isaac does extensive reading on photography.....

Maybe. Or maybe he just gives good Google.

RSL

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2015, 07:45:02 pm »

No, you can't get some of the stuff we've been talking about from Google. Isaac knows photographs. He just doesn't know photography.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2015, 08:00:29 am »

Who would you rather be operated by: a surgeon with thousands of successful operations or someone who read a lot of textbooks on surgery?

Lets use an analogy a bit closer to this issue

Who would you rather be operated by:  A surgeon who is active on internet forums or a surgeon who is not active on internet forums?

The point being that it is irrelevant to the decision as choosing to post on internet forums is not associated with experience or skill of the surgeon.

Perhaps I am just too old, but I don't see how posting on the Internets Tubes can establish any credibility.. other than the ability to post on the Internets Tubes.  ;D

I evaluate a person's opinion based on the strength of their logical argument (or more often the lack of logic), and the facts they cite,  not on the number or type of posts they may have on an internet site.

But that's just me.   ;)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2015, 10:52:14 am »

Isaac

« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2015, 11:30:59 am »

But that's just me.   ;)

Indeed.

Others have commented on LuLa that they judge based on the quality of the argument.

spidermike

« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2015, 11:58:52 am »

Indeed.

I take a picture of 'street' scene and post it on here. Nay, I post hundreds on here.
How do you know whether I have ever experienced "A la sauvette"? I look at a photo and say 'great timing' (just like 'gare') and I have no idea whether the photographer got it with a single shot because they were 'in the moment' or whether they sat there on the other side of the piazza hammering away the shutter like a cricket on heat and choose the best one (OK, not applicable to 'Gare' even though he did take multiple shots with multiple people and choose the best )?
I take a picture where I can say 'this is a moment that I had 'that feeling' and you reply 'Natch. Rubbish shot (PS it isn't even street photography)'. I am not sure what that proves. 

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2015, 12:09:11 pm »

... to post on the Internets Tubes...

You got it wrong, it is teletubbies:

stamper

« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2015, 12:16:15 pm »

Indeed.

Others have commented on LuLa that they judge based on the quality of the argument.

Isaac you also fail on that basis.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2015, 12:19:44 pm »

Kool-Aid drinkers are as old as the mankind.

And how do you judge the "quality" of the argument? We are not talking about facts here, but their interpretation. That's where credibility comes into the picture. Having "skin in the game" is another concept as old as the mankind, where those who do command a greater respect than those sitting on the sidelines, sniping, however correct they might be.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2015, 12:21:37 pm »

I take a picture of 'street' scene and post it on here. Nay, I post hundreds on here.
How do you know whether I have ever experienced "A la sauvette"? I look at a photo and say 'great timing' (just like 'gare') and I have no idea whether the photographer got it with a single shot because they were 'in the moment' or whether they sat there on the other side of the piazza hammering away the shutter like a cricket on heat and choose the best one (OK, not applicable to 'Gare' even though he did take multiple shots with multiple people and choose the best )?
I take a picture where I can say 'this is a moment that I had 'that feeling' and you reply 'Natch. Rubbish shot (PS it isn't even street photography)'. I am not sure what that proves. 

Huh!?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2015, 12:31:33 pm »

... Who would you rather be operated by:  A surgeon who is active on internet forums or a surgeon who is not active on internet forums?...

You are misusing my analogy. You are talking about two (equally good) surgeons, one posting the other not. My original analogy was questioning whether the guy who read a lot of books on surgery (photography) is a surgeon (photographer) at all.

Isaac

« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2015, 12:31:54 pm »

Isaac you also fail on that basis.

Please quote the reasoning that you claim fails and show why you think the reasoning fails.

Isaac

« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2015, 12:36:28 pm »

And how do you judge the "quality" of the argument? We are not talking about facts here, but their interpretation.

A lot of different facts and different interpretations have been mentioned in these 5 pages of comment. What particular "interpretation" are you talking about?

stamper

« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2015, 12:39:35 pm »

Please quote the reasoning that you claim fails and show why you think the reasoning fails.

Please rephrase that in reasonable English and I will think about it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2015, 12:42:29 pm »

...What particular "interpretation" are you talking about?

Not in particular, in general. This thread is too odious to get bogged in its particularities.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up