Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 8.3x auto mask  (Read 4771 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
C1 8.3x auto mask
« on: August 12, 2015, 09:06:26 pm »

To me the auto mask seems to have taken a step or two backwards from 8.2.2. 

Before with 8.2.2 most times I could get the auto mask to work in fine tree limbs, (trying to mask a sky)  With 8.3 I can't get a good hit at all.  8.2.2 was about 50/50 but 8.3 can't see to differentiate sky and trees at all.  Either at normal view or 100%.

But overall the auto mask seems really good on a solid line, like buildings in a skyline. 

Is this a tool that will see improvements?  Maybe up to the standard of the automask in LR? 

Thanks
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: C1 8.3x auto mask
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 11:22:15 am »

Wow, I guess I am the only person who feels that the "auto" mask in C1 could be improved?  possibly to a more powerful selection algorithm? Something that works on something besides a straight edge?

Maybe? With just power in the adjustment layers, the auto mask feature is lacking to me.

Would love to hear comments from Phase One, on this, as I know they read this forum.

Paul 

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 11:36:44 am »

Wow, I guess I am the only person who feels that the "auto" mask in C1 could be improved?

Hi Paul,

Not really, I wouldn't mind an improved auto masking feature, but I cannot verify the claim that it got worse.

I'd have to reinstall an older version and do a side by side comparison to find that out, but I do not have the patience to do that since I'm going forward with what we have.

possibly to a more powerful selection algorithm? Something that works on something besides a straight edge?

An improvement would be if we got the possibility to select/switch between (what in Topaz plugins is called) Edge-aware and Color-aware masking. When luminosity differences are small, which makes it difficult for an auto mask to determine the in/exclude region, then maybe there is more of a color difference to help out.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 12:08:49 pm »

Hi Bart,

I assume the LR auto mask must be using some form of luminosity to work since can make such detailed masking (like in fine tree leaves/branches).  I find that the LR auto mask can get fooled about 25% of the time, mainly in darker overall shots where I am trying to capture a sky.  But it's still a vast improvement and would love to see that in C1's toolset. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

HCS

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 03:18:42 pm »

Like Bart, i can't verify whether it's gotten worse.

What i do know (i'm not using auto mask often), is that zooming in increases the precision with which auto mask is selecting.
Hans Cremers

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 04:06:35 pm »

That is a good point, I have discovered that also, zooming to 100% sometimes can kick off some better accuracy in the areas that concern me.

C1 has such a great advantage with the layers, that LR does not offer.  So with LR even though you can have multiple adjustment brushes, you can't turn off individual brushes to see their effect as you can an adjustment layer in C1. 

Just would like to see some improvements in the Auto mask capabilities.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up