Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much does the sheen of canvas, ink, and varnish impact the final sheen?  (Read 632 times)

printbreakr

A canvas print has at least three "layers of sheen." The bottom layer's sheen comes from the canvas material itself which is often sold as matte, satin, or gloss. On top of the canvas is the ink -- one can print either with photo (gloss) black or matte black. On top of the ink is/are one or more layers of varnish which can be matte, satin, gloss, or combinations of these. The varnish layer(s) could either be a mixed layer (ie. BC Glamour 2 matte + gloss mix), or separate layers (ie. a solvent varnish spray followed by a roll-on varnish) with different sheen characteristics.

I'd like to ask: how do the various layers of different sheen impact the sheen of the final product?

My original thinking was that they would blend together layer-by-layer (ie. matte canvas + gloss varnish = satin), perhaps with the higher layers having a greater impact, however, from my limited testing it seems to me the top layer rules. Perhaps this is because the top layer has a dominant impact on how light is reflected. (Let me emphasize this was very limited testing.)

If you've had extensive experience mixing canvas, ink, and varnish with differing levels of sheen, could you please comment on what best practices you've developed and what combinations produce the best results to your eye. Or, if it really is just the top layer that matters, please confirm that.

Finally, on the topic of ink (photo black vs matte black), the matte black by itself may be darker so this might have more of an impact than just sheen. Would perhaps a matte black covered with a gloss varnish produce a deeper black than photo black covered by gloss varnish?

Ernst Dinkla

90 % of the sheen is the result of the last coating. It is mainly the canvas texture, not the sheen, that delivers the 10%. To keep the image quality high I always use some layers of gloss varnish and finish it off with a thin layer of satin or matte varnish, few gloss finishes.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

printbreakr

90 % of the sheen is the result of the last coating. It is mainly the canvas texture, not the sheen, that delivers the 10%. To keep the image quality high I always use some layers of gloss varnish and finish it off with a thin layer of satin or matte varnish, few gloss finishes.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Thanks for the response. What you're saying is what I saw in my tests so it makes sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up