Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Europe river Cruise Advice?  (Read 10106 times)

aross007

Europe river Cruise Advice?
« on: August 12, 2015, 08:39:28 pm »

We will be cruising from Antwerp to Budapest the last two weeks of November.  Any advice about photography?  Will it be as cold as I expect?

Thanks,
Alan

glacierfan

Re: Europe river Cruise Advice?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 09:14:36 am »

I think it is not the best time for a river cruise. Temperatur could be around 0º C and you can expect a lot of rain. But there is one think you have to keep in your mind: sundown will be around 4.00 or 4.30pm. So there is only 8 or 9 hours daylight.

But anyway, there a lot of nice places on the river tour to Budapest.
You might have a stop in Vienna.
A really great place for picture in November in the Central cemetry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zentralfriedhof
http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#user=2014230&with_photo_id=81414642&order=date_desc

I was there in early Dezember and found a really great place for unique pictures

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:27:17 am »

We will be cruising from Antwerp to Budapest the last two weeks of November. Any advice about photography?

Leica M  Monochrom  ;)

aross007

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 01:58:39 am »

So, I could afford the Leica or the cruise. My wife choose the cruise! I'll dress warm and do the best I can. Thanks for the replies.

Alan

Dominique_R

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 04:39:50 am »

It will not be that cold I think. It could reach freezing point at the very lowest, pre-dawn temperatures, but during the day you will probably be more in the range of 8-12° Celsius. Overcast quite probably, sometimes rainy as well, but unobscured sun in a claer sky doesn't make for the best lights, as we all know... I'd pack one warm dressing option, but a couples more "medium" ones.

As regards photo ops, it will depend on the boat schedule: at what times of day will you be sailing? Through what kind of countryside? Where will the light shine from then? With the help of internet resources (Google Earth first and foremost) and a good photo app such as Photographer's Ephemeris on the iPhone, you can really plan a photo trip very easily nowadays.

You will basically be shooting in two types of situations: from the boat, as the countryside rolls by, and on terra firma, during stops. By studying carefully when each of those situations will happen, you will be able to plan some shots in advance. Of course, there will always be an element of surprise, and that's maybe when you will take your most prized photos...!  :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 05:10:03 am »

One of our forum members, David Eckels, did that trip, though in summertime, I think. PM him for tips.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 09:38:37 am »

So, I could afford the Leica or the cruise. My wife choose the cruise! I'll dress warm and do the best I can. Thanks for the replies.

Alan

I have similar problems.  :)

One advantage of earlier sunsets.  You can photograph during magic hour before dinner so it won't impede on eating.  Your wife will appreciate that.

aross007

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 08:52:34 pm »

Thanks again for the tips.

Alan

fletcherp

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 03:52:37 pm »

We did a similar trip a few years ago at the last week of October to start of November-worked out fine.  The early sunsets provided time for night photography.  In Budapest, the bridges are very well lighted as is the parliament building-from the East side of the river some nice night scenes.  Even in the last week of October-first week of November we had some fall color along the banks of the Danube, and  a short telephoto came in handy for those cases. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up