Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question: Sony A7Rii Eye focus tracking  (Read 5274 times)

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
Question: Sony A7Rii Eye focus tracking
« on: August 12, 2015, 07:59:54 pm »

Has any one tested the A7Rii's Eye Focus tracking In Continuous Mode?

Could some one test this feature using any of Sony's native primes at f/1.4 or especially the Zeiss batis lenses wide open at f/1.8 please?
I'd really like to hear if the eye focus tracking works successfully with the subject off center and for shallow depth of field portraits both in studio and/or on location
as this is a feature that I would consider using for beauty/fashion work.

Here's a video Gary Fong posted on how to set up eye focus in camera I'd really appreciate hearing real world opinions from current A7rii owners as the camera is not
yet available in NZ

Cheers  ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 08:26:20 pm by KAHA »

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
Re: Question: Sony A7Rii Eye focus tracking
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 01:20:05 pm »

I tested it with the 55/1,8 fe and it works surprisingly good.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 01:55:47 am »

I tested it with the 55/1,8 fe and it works surprisingly good.

Did you find eye focus was fairly accurate/consistent especially when shooting wide open or off center? thanks for that Rainer, Cheers!

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 05:25:36 am »

yes, very acurate, out of center too. The widest i have in e mount is the 55/1,8. My canon lenses dont do it.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 06:38:50 am »

When AF gets fast enough to be reliably used for wildlife photography, I'd like a version that can track animals' eyes too, not just human. Preferably also compatible with third-party lenses (as far as I know, the current eye tracking only works with native lenses).

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 03:22:38 pm »

Does anyone know how this works?

KAHA

• www.davidpoata.com
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 08:16:07 am »

Does anyone know how this works?

Here's an excerpt explaining how (eye) focus tracking works full article here;

"Given its access to image data off the image sensor at high speeds, the a7R II is capable of understanding subjects (via pattern recognition), which allows it to stick to an initial subject quickly and accurately. This ensures the camera continues to know what to focus on as the framing changes and as subjects move around within the scene. On-sensor phase detect AF points then ensure the camera actually focuses on what it knows to focus on, and does so accurately since the phase measurements are made by the imaging sensor itself and, therefore, do not suffer from the AF inaccuracies separate dedicated PDAF modules in DSLRs suffer from. That's right, no microadjustment needed, folks.

In fact, it's this accurate phase-detect AF that allows the a7R II to focus the Sigma 50mm F1.4 lens with far more accuracy than a DSLR. We have to microadjust F1.4 primes all the time on DSLRs to get accurate focus out of them, and even then, peripheral AF points may continue to be off (as they may be miscalibrated relative to the center AF point). But when we slapped the Sigma Art on the a7R II, pretty much every single shot was in focus.

You'll note that none of the shots in this video show any sort of systemic front or back focus. Put simply, no calibration is needed for accurate shots at F1.4 with the a7R II, because the system is accurate to begin with, as phase measurements are made on-sensor and do not need any correction factors for optical artifacts like residual spherical aberration. This is potentially game-changing: focus at F1.4 without microadjustment? Yes, please."
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:18:46 am by KAHA »
Pages: [1]   Go Up