Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Older Mamiya A lenses on 645 DF+ body  (Read 1633 times)

Chris1977

• Christian Nilson Photography
Older Mamiya A lenses on 645 DF+ body
« on: August 12, 2015, 02:15:09 pm »

From what I understand I can use the older "A" lenses on my 645 DF+ body. I would just set the aperture on the lens directly, shoot in manual and set the shutter speed manually as well. Have I missed something??? Thankful for anyone who has used or uses these lenses.
Cheers,
Chris

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Older Mamiya A lenses on 645 DF+ body
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 02:37:41 pm »

From what I understand I can use the older "A" lenses on my 645 DF+ body. I would just set the aperture on the lens directly, shoot in manual and set the shutter speed manually as well. Have I missed something??? Thankful for anyone who has used or uses these lenses.
Cheers,
Chris

You can use any legacy Mamiya lens on the DF+ without any adapter or modification. The lenses designed for the 645 Pro TL have a fully manual aperture, meaning you have to open up the aperture to compose/focus and close down the aperture before taking the picture. For this reason it can generally be said that they are most useful if you intend on using them wide open (where you don't have to fuss with the aperture at all) or on a tripod for slower work (where manually stopping down between frames is not a problem).

You can use metered modes such as aperture priority with these lenses, but you'll be limited to spot metering and the body will require about a 1.5 stop EV correction as it will otherwise have a tendency to underexpose.

Do note that some of these lenses would require physical modification to be used with the Phase One XF body. On the XF you could use the one-shot-AE function custom set to any hard button for improved metering experience as I wrote about here in XF Expose on Exposure; very handy.

Below is an article we wrote which included the Mamiya 80/1.9 from this generation:
Fast Portrait Lenses on Phase One

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:40:03 pm by Doug Peterson »

Chris1977

• Christian Nilson Photography
Re: Older Mamiya A lenses on 645 DF+ body
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 02:59:02 pm »

Thanks for the info and the link!
Cheers,
Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up