Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Product Assurance Plans a Scam?  (Read 4840 times)

ricwis

• http://www.ricwis.com
Product Assurance Plans a Scam?
« on: March 07, 2006, 07:42:01 pm »

Have you had experience with those product assurance plans?  I bought a Samsung 191T monitor at Best Buy about 30 months ago.  It came with a 3 year warranty but the sales guy convinced me their assurance plan was worth the extra $120.  He said "If anything goes wrong, even a stuck pixel, bring the monitor in and we will exchange it for a new one, on the spot."  The monitor has developed what looks like a dark smudge down the right side, then over the bottom, and less so through the middle.  The defect really stands out after about a half days work.  If the monitor sits overnight and then is turned on in the morning, things will look fine until a few hours later.

So two weeks ago, I took the monitor into Best Buy.  Their geek squad guy hooked it up to one of their computers and saw the problem.  I asked about the monitor replacement and he said, "Nope, we cannot do that until it has been sent in to repair four times."  They sent it in and it came back with no trouble and advised to check the video card.  Funny how the old monitor I am using now on the same video card does not have the problem. I refused to accept the monitor and just then the original guy came in and I told him what happened.  He remembered and said we will send it back with more notes to leave the monitor on and what to look for.  Today I get a call that it came back with no trouble found and I can pick up the monitor at my convenience.

Now I have been told three different things by three different people:
1.  There is nothing wrong with the monitor.
2.  If we replace the monitor, it will be one of our choosing that has the same specs.
3.  If it comes back with no trouble found, the manager has agreed to replace the monitor with one of my choice up to the original price I paid.

It seems to me those plans are a scam.  They are supposed to prevent this kind of hassle.  Now I have to do battle with these guys and it all depends on who you get and what they know.  One thing for sure, the monitor is not good for my photo work.  Oh, the guy I originally worked with.  He is on vacation and they were not sure when he would be back.
Rich Wisler
Wildlife and Scenic Photogra

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 08:16:35 pm »

Yet another reason to avoid best buy.

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 08:41:10 pm »

Yes, basically they'll tell you whatever you need to hear to buy one, including outright lies.

Best avoid....

Graeme

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 09:51:02 pm »

The upshot is that you only need to buy one once and then you can throw that in the face of everyone who ever tries to sell you another one.

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 06:56:44 pm »

Another reason why dealing with a local photo dealer is best.  If I have ever had a problem with anything I have purchased from my local dealer they have gone out of their way to help resolve the problem.  

A good relationship has also ensured that I am comfortable with the purchase before laying down the cash... a few times having used loaner equipment to be certain I'll be happy.  I pay more with my local dealer than shopping on the net or other larger centers but the comfort I get is always worth the extra price.

Kelly

MrIconoclast

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 09:19:00 am »

Don't you have Apple equipment?  If so, why not stick with them.  I do not own any Apple equipment, but a very good friend of mine swears by the quality of the equipment and the excellent service at the local Apple store.

Either that or wait for Windows Vista. It will fix all your problems.

ricwis

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 09:52:36 am »

Unfortunately, the smaller local dealers do not carry much in the way of quality LCD's.  When I was in the market for one, the 191 was highly rated and hard to find.  The only retailer in the entire area that had it was Best Buy.  I called every shop within driving distance and none carried it.

I stopped in to Best Buy last evening after work as they had called and said the monitor was ready for pickup.  I said no way.  You've got two work orders with your manager stating he saw the problem as did others on the "geek squad".  Now your repair shop says nothing wrong.  Since that manager is on vacation, the other manager said she would check out the monitor and let me know the results of their testing today.  When I said the purpose of the assurance plan was to eliminate hassles like this and asked why I am having this trouble, she looked at me with a blank stare.  I guess I did not realize the money I paid was for their enrichment and how dare I  try to use the service.
Rich Wisler

ricwis

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 06:56:29 pm »

I have to give some credit here.  At least Best Buy agreed to replace my monitor.  After more trips this week and one this morning for an hour, the third manager I talked to (the other two were not there) went and talked to her boss and they agreed to swap out the monitor.  It was the notes of the first manager that stated he saw the problem that saved the day for me as it comes back from their repair with no trouble found.  My suspicion is that they did not hook the monitor up using the DVI connection since they only have analog VGA at their repair facility.  I run the monitor using DVI.  The store manager did say that this is a real limitation for them and it could be the DVI input is the problem and they would not see it.

The replacement procedure is not quite what is stated but at least the monitor is replaced.  The first rep told me I would get a store credit equal to my original purchase price.  Today, I had to pick a monitor they had in stock.  Of course, they do not sell monitors in the store now for the original price I paid.

Guess what they tried to sell me with the replacement monitor.  Yep.  The product protection plan.  I declined.  The replacement is the Gateway 2185W.
Rich Wisler

bjanes

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 08:32:35 am »

Rich,

I read an article in Business Week stating that most of Best Buys profit comes from their buyer assurance plan. If it is such a great deal for BB, then it is decidedly not a good deal for the purchaser of the plan.

The article also said that Sam's is entering into the fray and offering a more reasonably priced guarantee. It turns out that the stores do not have their own repair department, but outsource the work, often to the same firm.

Bill Janes

ricwis

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 09:54:27 am »

Bill,
Thanks for the info on the Business Week article.  Do you remember which issue that was in?  Sounds like it would be interesting to read.

They really push the plans and will mislead if they think you will bite.  The only company I would conisder in the future for a service plan is Apple.  They seem to have the best customer service and  friends who have used the plan have had no hassle or problems.  It is also more reasonable in price.
Rich Wisler

Gabe

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 04:16:34 pm »

The only company I would conisder in the future for a service plan is Apple.  They seem to have the best customer service and  friends who have used the plan have had no hassle or problems.  It is also more reasonable in price.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, AppleCare is excellent. I've used it a couple of times in the 15 or so years I've been running Macs, and they have absolutely never given me a hard time. Not even for a second.

They'll even send technicians out to do on-site repairs if you've got a desktop Mac (and they really will send them, although you have to ask ).

Definitely worth the money for the peace of mind something like that provides, IMO..

bjanes

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2006, 12:00:02 pm »

Bill,
Thanks for the info on the Business Week article.  Do you remember which issue that was in?  Sounds like it would be interesting to read.

They really push the plans and will mislead if they think you will bite.  The only company I would conisder in the future for a service plan is Apple.  They seem to have the best customer service and  friends who have used the plan have had no hassle or problems.  It is also more reasonable in price.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Rich,

Sorry, but I can not remember for certain even the pubication. I think it was Business Week, but it could have been Fortune or the Wall Street Journal. The article appeared about a month ago.

Bill

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 12:48:29 pm »

When I said the purpose of the assurance plan was to eliminate hassles like this and asked why I am having this trouble, she looked at me with a blank stare. I guess I did not realize the money I paid was for their enrichment and how dare I try to use the service.
That's the Best Buy customer service experience in a nutshell.

I've rarely heard of BB ever honoring their extended warranties (via friends, family, clients and online forums). Heck, I've had trouble getting them to honor basic exchanges of defective products days after the purchase (and they lied to me during that stating California law prevented them from making the exchange!). Once they have your cash, they have little concern for you.

Just in case anyone was curious, this post explains what all those numbers are on the wall at Best Buy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up