Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3880 and Mac OS 10.10.4  (Read 2084 times)

meierruedi@hotmail.com

3880 and Mac OS 10.10.4
« on: August 12, 2015, 04:16:43 am »

Dear all

I got a new MBP Retina 15" (mid 2015) running 10.10.4. I'd like to print some b&w images on the Epson 3880 (printer driver version 9.33) but unfortunately the advanced black and white option is greyed out.

Any idea what's going on?

Cheers

Ruedi

ColourPhil

• Colour Management by Phil Cruse
Re: 3880 and Mac OS 10.10.4
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:47:54 am »

Hi Ruedi,

Did you download the latest driver from the Epson site (v9.33) as this may well be more functional than that which came from Apple?

I've checked on my Mac Pro with 10.10.4 and 3880 (v9.33) and I can see ABW isn't greyed-out, but I don't actually use it myself.

You need Printer Color Management (NOT Photoshop Color Management) and Epson Color Controls to use it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Phil

http://www.colourphil.co.uk

howardm

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 06:51:09 am »

As Phil said.

They removed the ability to use profiles (Eric Chan had released a number of them) w/ ABW mode a number of years ago.  You have to use Printer Manages Color.  I believe this only affects Mac's so if you can print off a PC, you should be OK.

There may be some form of work-around, I dont know.

meierruedi@hotmail.com

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 03:27:36 pm »

Hi Phil and Howard

Thanks. Yes I did download the Epson driver and yes I selected printer manages color. I'll try and delete the printer and the driver again. Might resolve the problem. Or it might be that I still use Photoshop CS 6....

Ruedi

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 05:00:43 pm »

Hi Phil and Howard

Thanks. Yes I did download the Epson driver and yes I selected printer manages color. I'll try and delete the printer and the driver again. Might resolve the problem. Or it might be that I still use Photoshop CS 6....

Ruedi
The Epson driver is independent of Adobe software.

Alan

Ferp

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 07:13:21 pm »

You have to use Printer Manages Color.  I believe this only affects Mac's so if you can print off a PC, you should be OK.

No such luck.  This may not be of interest to the OP, since he's on a Mac, but on Windows, if you select printer manages color in PS in order to print with ABW, then PS will convert the image to sRGB, in order to protect the color-management-challenged-user.  I believe that this doesn't affect Mac in the same way, although I also believe there are separate challenges in Mac PS printing, e.g. untagged images.

I don't know how Eric Chan created his profiles.  I never used them.  I can't see a way to use them now in Windows, if there was in fact a way to specify then in ABW settings.  You can use some of the tools that come with QTR to create profiles for ABW and apply them in PS before sending to ABW, but if you go this route then before printing you have to have the image in RGB mode and assign (not convert) to sRGB to fool PS into leaving the image alone.

Yes, the driver is independent of Adobe software, and on Windows that's part of the problem. Because of this, Adobe has made a safety-first decision about colour management in the printer manages color case. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 08:14:32 pm »

I got a new MBP Retina 15" (mid 2015) running 10.10.4. I'd like to print some b&w images on the Epson 3880 (printer driver version 9.33) but unfortunately the advanced black and white option is greyed out.

Here you go:

You must set Printer Manages Color.
You must set Color Matching to Epson Color Controls (that's not accessible IF you have Application Manages Color)
Then you can select ABW as see above.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up