Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing tonal consistency and WB  (Read 418 times)

RobinFaichney

Printing tonal consistency and WB
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:47:50 am »

Been playing with Colormunki Photo and discovered apparent inconsistency between tonal values in successive prints, also maybe a colour issue.

Using a still newish Epson 4900, the original ink set and Innova IFA-06 paper, I've been printing pics of the Colorchecker Classic reference target and comparing them with the original. The camera was calibrated a few weeks ago (but see below) and the printer/paper combo earlier today.

Something caused me to wonder about printing consistency so I made two identical prints. Using Photo Colorpicker the mid-grey patch (third from top) reads 121, 122, 117 RGB on the first print and 125, 125, 121 on the second. Is that difference worth worrying about?

Re the low blue value, I just re-calibrated the camera using this same image, loaded the new profile and reset the WB in LR using the same patch, printed again and get 124, 124, 121. So we're now looking at discrepancies of up to 4 in RGB values, between prints and in supposedly neutral tones, which is about 1.6%. Is that a matter for concern?

(I do a lot of copy photography where both tonal and colour matching is important and I've been putting my difficulties down to lack of experience but maybe I should be blaming my tools?)

Later: just did another print, no changes from last time, same numbers, which is somewhat reassuring.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 09:44:30 am by RobinFaichney »
Pages: [1]   Go Up