Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Schneider 35mm 3.5LS question  (Read 2106 times)

aztwang

New Schneider 35mm 3.5LS question
« on: August 10, 2015, 09:48:50 pm »

If I want to use a filter system on the new 35mm 3.5 LS, 105 MM filter thread, what would I use. Is there any thing available right now for this lens?

Thanks

Don

OrleyD

Re: New Schneider 35mm 3.5LS question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 10:08:16 pm »

The Lee 105mm adapter fits nicely but will cause vignetting.  Since I have an significant investment in Lee's 100 series filters, I modified the adapter ring.  Using a lathe, a chamfer cut on the outside reduced the vignette to a light minor,but detectable shadow in the corners.  This was eliminating by opening up the 4 corners.  A textured anti-glare coating was applied to the machined surfaces.  Pictures will follow.  It works perfectly with the standard filter holder but the lens hood/filter holder still vignettes.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:00:57 am »

These are the options I am working on:

1.  Use the Firecrest 105mm slim ND filters, if Hitech ever makes them.  The reviews of smaller sizes of the firecrest line are good.  They are a slim ND and should fit the 105mm diameter of the 35 LS.  Lee has a 105mm CL-PL that will fit and is also slim.  The Lee may not fit well as I believe the 35mm LS is coarse  threaded 1.0mm pitch.  I have not had a chance to try my Lee 105mm on the 35mm LS.  However as both of these are slim filters you should be able to combine 2 and not vignette unless close to wide open on the lens.   Hitech has had the 105mm on their list now for months but they are not shipping yet, and I am starting to wonder if they will even make them.

2.  Consider the Cokin X-Pro setup.  Don Libby has successfully used the X-pro on his 40-80 LS which is also 105mm.  You need the 1.0mm coarse threaded 105mm adapter from Cokin, which tends to be special order.  Then the standard Cokin X-Pro filter holder.  Cokin's X-Pro filters are 130mm x 170mm and are glass.  Lee makes a glass 4" x 4", 100mm x 100mm that will fit in their wide angle holder, but I like the idea of the Cokin as it's wider thus less chance to vignette.  Cokin makes both grads and solid ND in the 130 x 170 size.  The solids are glass, I believe the grads are resin but not sure.  I am still waiting for B&H to get the 0.9 ND Cokin back in stock. 

Hood options, still unknown.

With option 1, I am not sure if the Schneider hood will fit over the 2 or 1 105mm filters.

With option 2, hood will be a problem.  The Lee wide angle hood I don't believe will mount easily to the Cokin setup.  Cokin shows a large hood in their lineup but it's around 400.00 US and never in stock.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Cokin+X-pro+hood&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

ddolde

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 01:21:08 pm »

I have one on order myself but aside from a screw on thin polarizer I've really not much need or desire to use filters like grads.
Pages: [1]   Go Up