Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture 3.6 available  (Read 200536 times)

Gigi

• some work
Aperture 3.6 available
« on: August 10, 2015, 03:11:13 pm »

Aperture 3.6 is around and healthy. Its not listed at the App Store, but if you call Apple, they can walk you through how to get it.

Two techniques exist - look into your "App Store" history under the apple on the upper left.

1) if it shows you have bought Aperture from the App Store:  they say you can  delete the application, and then go to your App store panel of purchases, and download the new version. NOTE: I have not done this, and do not know if this works!!! PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. Make sure you have a backup copy.

2) if Aperture is not in your App Store record of purchases, you can contact  someone in the Pro Care Dept. at Apple Support (takes a while, ask for Tier 2 support). They accepted proof of purchase for a version 3.x of Aperture software, and then emailed a redemtion code to be used in the App store. It worked and Aperture 3.6 was immediately downloaded. It works with Yosemite.

They say you can use the code on all the machines that are registered under your Apple ID.

Note that when Aperture 3.6 opens older libraries, it upgrades them to the new 3.6 software. Old Aperture versions will NOT open these files, so it  is recommended that you backup your Aperture library before making the conversion. 

Geoff
Geoff

jwstl

Re: Aperture 3.6 available
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 09:44:30 pm »

#1 does work. I know because I had to do it. I waited quite awhile before upgrading to the latest OS and when I did my version of Aperture wouldn't open due to being incompatible to the new OS. And the compatible version of Aperture had been removed from the app store. I looked in my purchases just to be sure and it wasn't listed. So I put Aperture in the trash, relaunched the App Store app and it appeared in my list of purchases. Downloaded and all was well. You shouldn't have to actually delete the old version. Dragging to the trash should be enough. I'm no longer using Aperture but it's nice to have a working version just in case.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 01:50:22 pm »

I'm in this same predicament. Just bought a new iMac, since the old white (2006) one could not be upgraded past Lion. Of course my Aperture 3.4.5 (originally 3.x CD purchase) won't run on the new Yosemite machine so I am going to try for a Redemption code for 3.6, because I'd rather keep using Aperture. I understand that Aperture has no future, but what it does now is fine for me and probably will be for a few years. It has reached the point of sufficiency for me. I think it's a good combination of image management and processing.

The last time I noted Aperture's price on the Apple store, it was $79 or something, but I originally paid much more than that. I can't help but wonder if pros (or non-pros like me) weren't so obsessed with rock bottom consumer pricing (though I never was, I'm willing to pay more for something better) for advanced products like Aperture, it might have been worthwhile for Apple to continue its development. Money talks, but if we aren't willing to pay, then why should we expect long-term support? You want cheap or free, you get iPhoto or Photos, not hard to understand. For some reason, everyone expects software to be cheap. Odd because not that many years ago Photoshop sold for $600+, and people bought it then.

--
Robert

jwstl

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 10:42:08 am »

#1 does work. I know because I had to do it. I waited quite awhile before upgrading to the latest OS and when I did my version of Aperture wouldn't open due to being incompatible to the new OS. And the compatible version of Aperture had been removed from the app store. I looked in my purchases just to be sure and it wasn't listed. So I put Aperture in the trash, relaunched the App Store app and it appeared in my list of purchases. Downloaded and all was well. You shouldn't have to actually delete the old version. Dragging to the trash should be enough. I'm no longer using Aperture but it's nice to have a working version just in case.

I thought I would add to my previous post just in case I wasn't clear. You don't need to move the database to the trash, just the app. And if the new version doesn't appear in the App Store purchases, you can always just move Aperture from the trash back to the Applications folder. Just be sure you don't empty the trash until you have and confirm the new version is working.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:31:35 am »

So what is in the upgrade or is it just compatibility?
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Whitney Dunn

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 04:30:45 pm »

There's nothing new, Aperture 3.6 was released last October. What the original poster was getting at is that, even though Aperture's been pulled from the App Store, it's still possible to download a copy. Certainly if you purchased it previously, possibly if you haven't.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 07:52:12 am »

Just following up. I reached Pro Support at Apple and got access to 3.6 under Yosemite using a Redeem code as OP stated. It helped to have my original purchase CD box.

Thanks very much for the head's up.
--
Robert

Lundberg02

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 12:11:49 am »

Method 1 worked well for me under Yosemite. I dragged Aperture to the Trash, found Aperture in Purchases, clicked on Install, and it showed up in Applications. Opened it and it was ver 3.6.  Thanks Gigi.

jamesn

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 12:59:32 pm »

I called Apple support today and inquired about getting a download code to update my Aperture 3 files to 3.6 (I installed 10.10.4 and then 10.10.5 finally after all the talk about Yosemite finally not trashing your computer anymore)- the support person said the Aperture 3.6 was OK for Yosemite 10.10.3 but that it NO LONGER WORKS  for 10.10.4 or 10.10.5.  Is this really true or am I just getting a story from my Apple support person?

I've bought a copy of Lightroom 6.1 but I don't enjoy using it as much as I did Aperture.

ButchM

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 01:58:40 pm »

Works for me on 10.10.5 ... though I don't use it as often or as in-depth as I did before so their may be some ancillary issues I have not encountered.

Could be a problem of semantics ... Apple may be stating Aperture 3.6 is not "supported" for 10.10.4 or higher ... that is different from "NO LONGER WORKS" ...

Bottom line is, if you are entitled to the 3.6 update, they should issue a code to download regardless.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 06:07:09 pm »

Working fine on my 10.10.5 as well. In fact, it's a new machine and was running 10.10.5 when I bought it and install Aperture 3.6. Did you reach the 2nd tier Pro Apps support desk (or whatever it's called)? I had to speak to 2 others before they escalated to Pro App support.
--
Robert

jamesn

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 08:54:00 pm »

No, I just got to the regular person who didn't seem too knowledgeable about the subject, but who did maintain that while it worked for 10.10.3 it no longer worked for 10.10.4 or 5.   I'vej never had much luck with the telephone support people from Apple- very friendly but usually no useful support.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 10:21:26 pm »

The first level person I reached asked me to spell Aperture, she had never heard of it. This might not be surprising. I don't know how many Aperture licenses they sold, but my guess is that compared to everything else, the number is miniscule. The next person she passed me onto had actually used it, so he knew the issue I was having, but he had to pass me onto someone higher than him to obtain the install code. The entire telephone process took almost an hour, and I received the code and installation instructions by e-mail 2 days later. Must be some internal accounting process that they have to follow.
--
Robert

jamesn

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 03:26:35 pm »

I tried again with Apple support.  This time I got through to the intermediate people and then finally to the Pro apps support, Ms. Cassandra, who were all very helpful.  She got the access code for 3.6 and also for iTunes and emailed them to me so I'm back with Aperture as a viable alternative to Lightroom now.  Thanks for all the helpful tips on how to proceed.

avantst

Re: Aperture 3.6 available - App store fixed!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 12:45:57 pm »

Thanks for the info All-

While I was on the phone with Apple support This Morning - Sept 29 '15 - The Support Advisor received an email stating the problem with the app store had been fixed for those who had purchased a boxed version.
I refreshed my app store & lo and behold - Aperture was now available for the install.
I simply drug the old (3.5) version to the trash, went to the app store and was able to click "Install"
No code needed!

Hope that helps -
Glad to See the issue addressed by Apple -
still sad to see Aperture left on the side of the road by Apple.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 08:53:55 pm »

Maybe a change of direction? We can only hope.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 10:32:01 pm »

Maybe a change of direction? We can only hope.

I don't think we'll see an Aperture 4, much as I might want it :-/

Nora_nor

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2015, 06:14:32 am »

Thanks, I looked at the history in the app store, and downloaded Aperture, and it was 3,6.
Aperture was greyed out until now.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the library etc back. And all the images I had worked on.

Aperture library was kidnapped by  photos back then.

Nora_nor

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 11:27:21 am »

Update: It worked on the Mbp:
I got the Aperture 3,6 from  the history page in App store  no problem, and it did find and convert the Aperture Library just fine!
Must figure out if I moved the Aperture library from the macbook air (since it has a much smaller disk)
Pages: [1]   Go Up