Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To "upgrade" from an Epson 7800?  (Read 1097 times)

deliberate1

To "upgrade" from an Epson 7800?
« on: August 09, 2015, 10:37:04 pm »

Friends,
I have been using a very reliable 7800 for going on eight years, more or less. No issues of any kind - clogging, software or otherwise. While I have no great "need" to purchase the current version, I wonder if there is a material reason to do so. Yes, I would like to have the gloss and matte inks both integrated in the machine and perhaps the newest generation of inks with another black and additional colors may be an advantage. Speed , if there is  difference, is of little consequence to me.
Ultimately, to those of you who have graduated from my printer generation to the X900 iteration, did you find that the quality of the output was worth the expense and learning curve.
And to those of you who move to the latest Canon offerings, how would you compare the user experience and output.
Obliged,
David

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: To "upgrade" from an Epson 7800?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 03:41:56 pm »

My 9800 was perfectly fine when I upgraded to a 9900. I needed to run a lot of canvas and not having to cut it by hand is why I upgraded.

Changing the PK to MK on the 9800 is a major hassle and when I bought mine second-hand, changed it over from the MK over which took a lot of ink.

For all practical purposes, using the PK on matt and fine-art papers with good profiles is perfectly fine in quality. Side-by-side, you notice that the MK is richer and more velvety in the deepest blacks, but realistically for most, the difference isn't worth the change-over.

If your 7800 is still doing well, why change? If you really need MK and you have the room, why not find a second-hand 7800/7880 and dedicate it to the second black?
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

deliberate1

Re: To "upgrade" from an Epson 7800?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 09:43:59 pm »

Larry, I appreciate your kind reply. It is good to know that I am missing little by not having the latest generation. I am very pleased with the output from my rig with little or no drama.
Interesting to know that you can use PK inks on matte paper. Never really occurred to me. My favorites include Museo Silver Rag and Ilford FB Gloss, if I remember correctly. It has been several years since I used PK papers. Mostly now I use Epson Ultrasmooth which I have been very happy with. I am cheap with ink and tend to print with the same paper to match the ink so as to avoid the purging costs. I do like the smooth transitions with this paper even if the Dmax is not so hot. It has been my experience that the difference among papers largely fades away once the image is behind glass.
Curious whether you have used the PK ink with this Epson matte paper.
Again, thanks.
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up