Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: at the races  (Read 3124 times)

sgwrx

at the races
« on: August 09, 2015, 09:02:28 pm »

i can barely do panning shots lower than 1/180th shutter speed, however out of the 200 i tried today there were 3 that grabbed my attention even though the subject is not sharp by any means.  the more i look at this one example the more i like it.  i added just a little saturation, tiny bit of clarity and pulled the levels down a tad in highlights and up like 4 or 5 in shadows. i think i'm going to study this one for a while to see how i might like it - so much for my earlier thread on adjusting the heck out of images!  so sometimes what comes out of the camera is "how it felt" and i didn't even know it!

anyway, what are you thoughts.  does it evoke anything or is it just a sham "can't shoot moving objects"?

-steve

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: at the races
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 11:41:36 pm »

That shot is quite good. The background is nicely blurred, giving a sense that the car is moving very fast. And the slight blur of the car adds to the sense of speed. I think you've nailed it.

If the car were perfectly sharp, it would look like a composite: sharp photo put onto a blurred background. What you have looks realistic and effective to me.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 02:43:57 am »

I agree, the slight blur on the car is very effective. Given that you are already being non sports in your approach if you see what I mean have you tried various B&W treatments? It may respond well to a super smooth conversion or a very gritty conversion.

Mike

sgwrx

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:49:41 pm »

thank you both!  i reviewed one of the other images of this car and the car is sharper and yeah, i just didn't feel anything when looking at it compared to this one.  i haven't tried b&w but i can see that looking good too as long as i can get the tone of the car right.  i do somewhat wish i could get the car coming more towards me, but then i would lost the bright/harsh sky. 

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 02:43:23 am »

i do somewhat wish i could get the car coming more towards me, but then i would lost the bright/harsh sky. 

And you'd lose the absolutely essential wavy lines. I think of the many car shots I've seen this one conveys speed and excitement more than most.

sgwrx

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 08:19:07 pm »

thank you again!  i've looked at this a few days now and continue to think it's probably the best shot i have from the day.  there is one which is more crazy blurred and specifically up/down blur. when i first saw that picture, i thought it captured the incredible sound this car makes in visual.  this one is more the speed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up