Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sinar digital backs and Capture One software  (Read 7324 times)

daz777

sinar digital backs and Capture One software
« on: August 09, 2015, 10:58:29 am »

Hi,

I have two questions regarding sinar digital backs and capture one software:

1. Has anyone have any ICC profile for sinar digital backs? If yes, could you please share? That would be great!
2. How about editing sinar raw files in capture one? New ones come as dng so its almost ok to edit, but how about older backs, with STI fromat only? Is the only way to export from capture studio as tiff and then edit in capture one or is there any STI to DNG converter for sinar backs?

Thanks!

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
Re: sinar digital backs and Capture One software
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 12:18:19 pm »

Hi,

I have two questions regarding sinar digital backs and capture one software:

1. Has anyone have any ICC profile for sinar digital backs? If yes, could you please share? That would be great!
2. How about editing sinar raw files in capture one? New ones come as dng so its almost ok to edit, but how about older backs, with STI fromat only? Is the only way to export from capture studio as tiff and then edit in capture one or is there any STI to DNG converter for sinar backs?

Thanks!

Hi,

To answer question 2. Sinar Capture shop 6.1.2 shoots DNG.... not STI. I use and old 54H and my files are DNG.

If I wanted to, I could import into Captureone. However I find that Sinar Capture shop does a sterling job with my raw file exporting. Since the program is made specifically for Sinar hardware. Tools like Colour alchemist are something I wish were integrated in other softwares. Or maybe there are similar that I am not aware of?

Best, Deano
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:20:51 pm by Dean Elliott »
Web: www.deanelliottstudio.com
Insta: @deanelliottstudio

andyptak

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 02:11:42 pm »

I assume that if you're a Windows person, you'd have to use C1?

Thanks

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 04:07:43 pm »

Maybe Im missing your question here, because I am not sure why you are saying I would have to be using C1 (which I assume is referring to Capture One) or that I would have to be a 'windows person'.

If you shoot with the latest sinar Capture shop software, you are creating dng files. You can then import to an editing software of your choice, be it Capture one, photoshop raw, Lightroom etc. The point is, there is no STI files since a few years ago... ie: Sinar Captureshop (6.1.2) produces DNG not STI. Have you looked on the Sinar website for the latest Sinar Captureshop software and read the "readme" file?

I hope this helps? If not feel free to clarify a bit more and Im sure I can help.
Regards.

fpoole

• http://www.frankpoole.com
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 05:16:07 pm »

Dean,
 I believe STI files are history. The latest Sinar software is CaptureFlow Studio.  Technically they are not supporting Capture Shop anymore. That said, I shoot with an 86H and still use Captureshop 6.1.2.  Before that I shot with the 54H.  I found the profiles in CaptureFlow to be a little bit better, especially in subtle highlight gradation and color.  But the workflow and interface is very frustrating to use and slows me down.  Partly it is my own fault of not taking the time to really learn it to the point where I can use it without thinking. The interface is so completely different than Captureshop and not very intuitive in my opinion. I agree, the Sinar software makes the best dng conversion. I've tried ACR and it doesn't come close. I have not tried Capture One but I can't imagine it would give a better conversion than the Sinar software. I always use 4-shot capture and then convert to 16 bit tiff and send to the retoucher. He works on files from every back manufacturer and says the Sinar files are the cleanest he sees.  He said that about the 54H also.  The only reason I traded up to the 86H was that Sinar made me an offer I couldn't refuse.  Are you using the HR lenses? I have found they make a very visible difference in resolution. 

And to answer andyptak question - Sinar software is Mac OS only.  There has never been a Windows version. 

I would love to hear about anyone's experience with Capturflow Studio.  Maybe I'm missing something.

Best,

Frank
www.frankpoole.com   

andyptak

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 05:57:01 pm »

Maybe I'm going on old information because I understood you had to use the Sinar software and that it was Mac only.

I was in the market for a used 54H with Firewire and a Mamiya back and when I learned this I forgot it because I couldn't afford a back and a Mac - being a Windows guy and all.

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 02:15:54 am »

Hey guys,
Sinar Captureshop had its own propriety file format for many years until they entered the "portable" shooting arena with the Emotion 54, 75. Upon which more and more people were complaining about the limitations of the files. The excuse as far as I can remember was that the STI is able to supply a better quality file. I might be wrong, but thats what I seem to remember.

There was a file converter that came out, such as Braumber tools. which was quite a difficult thing to use. I am not sure if it was only for the emotion dDB's or for the 54H too. I never tried... The Braumber software was later was implemented by Sinar in a collaborated effort from its creator (I seem to remember?) to make DNG accessible to Sinar users. Then came Sinar eXposure. This was both MAC and WINDOWS compatible and was open to Sinar DB's. So there has been a software compatible with windows.

Finally they came out with Sinar Captureshop 6.1.2 and the DNG file was implemented into this software, I assume based on popular demand. eXposure was discontinued. Im a little rusty on all the facts and can only tell you what I remember or was exposed to. If I am incorrect in any of my points here please correct me.

I was in the market for a used 54H with Firewire and a Mamiya back and when I learned this I forgot it because I couldn't afford a back and a Mac - being a Windows guy and all.

@andyptak buying an old used Mac is relatively inexpensive in comparison to the 54H system. Especially if you are using it for the sole purpose of the camera and its software. If you are willing to invest in a 54H system and have the funds for it, I can 100% vouch that you will not be doing wrong by extending your budget a little, and get a decent second-hand Mac. This will complete the system perfectly and you will not be disappointed with the quality. Provided your lenses are equal to the task. I have found that the software nor the shooting process takes a lot of computing power. So if you can source the oldest compatible mac laptop that can take the latest Sinar software and the correct firewire port, you're in business. If the opportunity comes up again, look into it. Its hard to part with cash for such old hardware now days though when comparing what money can buy. So its easy for me to stand for what I already have. I can say that my 54H has been in regular use for over 10 years and is still "wowing" my clients with quality. Ive had 3 canons between that. They're okay.  :D

Regards

andyptak

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 07:36:43 am »

Thanks Dean

What are the minimum requirements from a Mac that I would need for this set up? More is always better, I know. I just don't know the starting point here.

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 08:13:37 am »

Hi @andyptak

as per the Sinar website...

Sinar CaptureShop 6.1.2
Capture- and Workflowsoftware for Sinarback eVolution75H/86H, Sinarback eXact, eMotion-series, Sinarback 54M/MC, Sinarback 54H/43H/23H.
For any further information please refer to the ReadMe file included in the download.
(Mac OSX 10.6 – OSX 10.8)

In terms of hardware, and also the best value for money Apple Laptop I would suggest going for anything intel based. If you read the readme file (which I dont have) Im sure it will inform you of what processor is the minimum requirement.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:15:16 am by Dean Elliott »

andyptak

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 10:02:45 am »

Thanks Dean.

I downloaded the file, but can't read the Readme because it's only Mac compatible, which I don't have (yet).

Catch 22 strikes again!

Dean Elliott

• Dean Elliott
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 10:17:18 am »

Its a PDF? Surely those are readable on PC?

Minimum system requirements
o G4, G5- or Intel based Apple Macintosh Computer
o 2 GB RAM
o Mac OS 10.5.8 or higher
o Sinar Fiberoptic-PCI-Card1 or Firewire-Socket2

As per PDF readme file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up