Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync Speed Issue & Los Angeles - Phase One 645DF V-Grip?  (Read 2930 times)

heyyrobert

Sync Speed Issue & Los Angeles - Phase One 645DF V-Grip?
« on: August 09, 2015, 04:28:07 am »

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker here, finally made the switch from a 5D to a Phase One IQ140 and loving it!

Two questions:

- I seem to be stuck at 1/800 for LS shutter speeds. I've gotten it to go to 1/1600 for one shoot, by changing shutter latency to zero, but it hasn't returned since. Would an update fix it, or is there something I'm missing here?

- Is anyone in the LA area willing to let me borrow a V-Grip Air to update my 645DF to the latest firmware? Capture Integration here is currently out of business till they can find a new location (from what I know). We could do it over coffee or lunch! I'll pay.

Let me know. Looking forward to hearing from y'all!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Sync Speed Issue & Los Angeles - Phase One 645DF V-Grip?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 05:14:31 am »

We would be glad to arrange it for you. Just shoot me an email.

As to the underlying issue, are you using it with a wireless flash sync or a direct sync cable? If wireless is it Profoto Air and set to "fast"? Not all wireless transmitters support such fast flash sync. If wired, are you using a strobe which you are sure has a sufficiently fast flash duration to work well with fast sync?

We would be happy to help you trouble shoot further.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 05:21:26 am by Doug Peterson »

heyyrobert

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 03:56:23 pm »

Yeah, Profoto Air set to fast. The one time I was able to set it to a 1/1600 leaf shutter, I didn't have a sync cord or my air transmitter. I assumed you could just naturally set it to 1600 LS shutter speed even without a flash unit.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 04:16:08 pm »

The first time I read your message I was not clear on the fact you're having difficulty getting the LS to fire at 1/1600th (not just having problems getting it to sync at that speed). Yes, it definitely sounds like a firmware update is in order.  The back is also partly responsible for faster-than-1/800th flash sync, since the back uses an electronics trick to time the digital back's period of sensitivity within the frame of time that the leaf shutter is open.

In general the most recent firmware for the IQ140 is 5.20 and for the DF is 1.58.

By the way, if you are using AA batteries you may want to consider investing in the LiOn battery. It's more convenient, longer lasting. More to the point, it reduces instability that the DF non plus exhibited with many types of AA batteries. We could ship it out alongside a loaner VGrip. If you're on a budget you can also wait to see if you experience any instability first.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 04:25:24 pm by Doug Peterson »

heyyrobert

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 04:58:04 pm »

I'll shoot you an e-mail Doug, but I don't have the credit room (or insurance, as of yet) to cover the hold! Haha - really should get on it.

Side note - currently on firmware 1.21.0.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 04:59:38 pm by heyyrobert »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 05:59:06 am »

Yes please do email me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up