Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider Kreuznach 120 f4 LS  (Read 2236 times)

aztwang

Schneider Kreuznach 120 f4 LS
« on: August 08, 2015, 11:33:22 pm »

I was curious if anyone has had the opportunity to use the new Schneider Kreuznach 120 f4 LS. It has peaked my curiosity as a portrait lens and secondly as a close up lens. If you have I would love to hear some feedback and some images.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 02:31:42 pm by aztwang »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Schneider Kreutznach 120 f4 LS
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 12:44:25 am »

Optically the same as the other 120mm macro lenses from Team Phase One (120AF D, 120MF D), but with a leaf shutter which makes it larger and heavier but provides flash sync up to 1/1600th.

Focus speed is only okay, and occasionally goes the wrong direction resulting in a long transit time before it locks. This can be greatly reduced by using the limiter switch.

We maintain a database of sample raw files showing various lens+back+subject combos. You're welcome to contact us and we can pull a few relevant to you.

DucatiTerminator

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 01:32:21 am »

Aren't you on the Right Coast, Doug? Night owl?  ;) LOL

Don, I did get a chance to handle the lens a bit, though I didn't shoot more than a few frames with it. Lance from DT was nice enough to bring one by with the XF last weekend along with the new 35. I'm new to the digital MF scene, and it was a bit overwhelming taking everything in (more my inexperience than anything else -- Lance was very helpful and patient with my newb questions). It does have some heft to it, especially when mounted to the XF, but I'm confident I could shoot handheld for a long day with it. I did find the focus to be a little on the slow side, certainly something I could live with. The limiter switch did make a big difference (as Doug mentioned). Perhaps it's my limited perception, however, to me, the new 120mm seems to be more solidly built than it's predecessor. I'm not certain if this is the new direction that SK will be taking with all their new lenses, but the new 35 and 120 are built with the same solid feel that the XF has over the DF, IMHO.

Alvin
La gallina vecchia fa buon brodo

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 02:56:08 am »

Currently on west coast but heading back to east coast tomorrow. We spend a lot of time going back and forth.

Yes, the new "blue ring" lenses do have a more solid feel.

ced

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 04:25:39 am »

Nit picking but it's like spelling Kodak with a "Codak".
We all know what you mean.
http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/

aztwang

Re: Schneider Kreuznach 120 f4 LS
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 02:33:25 pm »

Really...LOL... Thanks for the spelling lesson. Shame on me as thats the only glass that I own in MFD....LMAO
Pages: [1]   Go Up