Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i feel like a complete dunce regarding desktop lamps  (Read 3988 times)

sgwrx

i feel like a complete dunce regarding desktop lamps
« on: August 08, 2015, 11:20:24 pm »

i'm following a great thread about desktop lamps, didn't want to pollute that.

i am having a major misunderstanding of how to utilize a solux 4700k bulb (https://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/soluxbulbs.html).  i've found everything from lists of hardware from store A, screws and threads from store B, and engaging an electrician to create a power supply from parts found at store C and D.

LOL

it looks to me like these solux bulbs have to used in track lighting systems and such?

is there some type of "lamp" (desktop or floor standing) that i could purchase and discard their mr16 bulb and replace it with one from solux?

thanks,

EDIT: i suppose the par bulbs (https://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/soluxparbulbs.html) at 3700k should work in pretty much any desktop lamp or floor lamp right?  would that be OK for matching screen to print or is it too warm of a light?  i think the answer is, "yes it'll work but you might want to recalibrate your monitor to a lower color temp"?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 11:26:47 pm by sgwrx »

howardm

Re: i feel like a complete dunce regarding desktop lamps
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 08:45:17 am »

it's quite difficult to find a floor/table/task lamp that takes MR16 lamps, esp. these days when everyone is LED crazy (it was hard years ago pre-LED too).  Solux sells a couple that might interest you though they are often pretty ugly.

You should dbl-check w/ them that you can actually get the PAR lamps.  They are usually out of stock w/ unknown delivery times.

The 3700K Solux seems to be best w/ a monitor target of around 5500-5800.  Mine is 5500 and I know Andrew Rodney settled on 5750 for his setup (although he also uses a GTI booth  so I'm not sure how that all correlates, perhaps he'll chime in).

sgwrx

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 10:28:30 am »

thanks.  i'll stop beating my head against the wall!

i did find an interesting chart on their website last night showing the 4700k was the only "smooth" SPD response. the 4100k and 3500k were not as good.  http://solux.net/ies_files/SoLux%20Spectral%20Data.xls.pdf

howardm

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 11:53:35 am »

but you're not taking into account a different part of the Solux site where, when shown objects illuminated at different temp lamps, many/most chose the somewhat warmer temps as 'more pleasing'.

I'm not doing this so I can match an offset printer across the country via D50 and whatever the graphics arts community uses.

At a certain point, I run out of tolerance for all the dark little corners of color science & art and trying to get this to match that.

Ultimately, I just want to enjoy the 'art' I attempt to make.

TonyW

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 12:11:19 pm »

...is there some type of "lamp" (desktop or floor standing) that i could purchase and discard their mr16 bulb and replace it with one from solux?
If you need to use specific bulb that is only available in MR16 then have you considered finding your ideal desk lamp and using an adapter to change it to MR16 e.g.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lamp-Socket-Adapter-Converter-Bayonet/dp/B007XU4LT6
Or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lamp-Socket-Adapter-Converter-Bayonet/dp/B00IYNUPDC

howardm

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 12:18:53 pm »

Problem is that the Solux MR16's are 12v and E27 is 120VAC so the most likely outcome is that the Solux will explode when you flip the power switch  :o :-\

TonyW

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 12:27:38 pm »

Problem is that the Solux MR16's are 12v and E27 is 120VAC so the most likely outcome is that the Solux will explode when you flip the power switch  :o :-\
OHH!!! What a mistakaa to makaa  :o ???
In that case it would require a small transformer between socket and lamp

howardm

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 12:49:27 pm »

Yes, something between the wall and lamp.

Honestly, I didn't even know they made one of those types of adaptors. 

Be careful though, most of the E27 female sockets are bakelite plastic and can dry out (ie. fail) after subjected
to the kind of heat that a halogen puts out.

TonyW

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 01:16:17 pm »

Good point about heat output.  The link I gave for instance only mentions 60w incandescent therefore perhaps better choices available?

Most I have seen appear to be ceramic and I would hope capable of withstanding the heat of halogen
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/e27-to-mr16-led-halogen-cfl-light-lamp-bulbs-adapter-converter.html

Shower fan lamps in the UK appear be fitted with MR16 - I thought mine was GU10 and when it failed I had fun trying to twist it out and further enjoyment trying to remove the tiny pins stuck in the lamp holder  ;D

sgwrx

Re:
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 02:36:32 pm »

could u buy one of the picture lamp fixtures that extend and clamp that onto a desk or hunk of wood?  does it come with all the electrical?

yeah i know get on with having fun but i wouldnt mind something like a solux 4700k if its not totally a pia which really its becoming that quickly :) 

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up