Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod and head choice for MF  (Read 23664 times)

mueller123

Re: Tripod and head choice for MF
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 01:50:07 pm »

Hello,
i use my Linhof Micro Head on my RRS 24. Like a brick....like it so much..:

Mueller

pemihan

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 02:22:16 pm »

Hello,

Mueller

Would it be possible to replace the clamp on the Micro Head with one from RRS?

Best
Peter

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 09:54:56 pm »

Is the 'Pan' movement geared on this?

This is the one thing I despise about my cube...would love it to be geared like the rest of the head.

Hello,

Mueller
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 12:06:10 am »

If the Linhof is as heavy as the Cube, then imho it is a bit top heavy for the RRS TVC-24 legs---and the reason why I finally opted for the KPS T5 geared ball head for use with my TVC-24. The Cube is perfect with the TVC-3 series.

ken

mueller123

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 04:53:58 pm »

Hello guys, in my option the clamp could not be removed. But I use it with RRS brackets very good. It is compatible with Arca Swiss.

The Linhof head is a bit lighter than the cube. But ways smaller.
The gear of the Linhof is ways better than the cube. But the gear is very fine. You have the rotate the knob a lot of times....

mueller123

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 04:55:38 pm »

If I understand right: you mean the horizontal turn? No this is not geared...

Is the 'Pan' movement geared on this?

This is the one thing I despise about my cube...would love it to be geared like the rest of the head.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 05:00:44 pm »

Yes that's what I meant.
Thank you.

I really wish it was geared...All this precision and then you loose it at the last step!

IanB

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2015, 08:04:34 am »

I'm also with the Manfrotto 410 crowd. It seems to handle most MF equipment very well - all movements geared and quick-move very easily, including pan.

It's also extremely keenly priced. In UK prices (including tax):
You can buy 5.6 Manfrotto 410s for one Arca D4;
       "         6.8                  "              Linhof 3D Micro, or
       "         7.6                  "              Arca Cube!

And for that price you can take it apart and shim/lubricate/adjust as many times as you want with very low risk!

Why would anyone want more?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 08:26:12 am »

I have used both the Arca Cube and the Manfrotto 410; the Cube is much much better.  I have never had the camera move not even a mm when it was mounted on the Cube. I can not say the same thing about the 410. 

Also, I have spoken to a couple of photographers who shot with the 410s for years, and they would need to replace them once every two or three years and always have a back up on hand in case one failed on a shoot.  They finally broke down and bought the Cube and kick themselves for not getting it sooner. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

AreBee

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 08:39:36 am »

mueller123,

The Linhof head is a bit lighter than the cube. But ways smaller. The gear of the Linhof is ways better than the cube. But the gear is very fine. You have the rotate the knob a lot of times....

In addition, the means by which the Arca C1 Cube and Linhof 3D Micro are levelled differs in orientation by 90°.

ddolde

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2015, 01:12:05 am »

I'm all for the big RRS and AS Cube

IanB

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2015, 06:22:08 am »

I have used both the Arca Cube and the Manfrotto 410; the Cube is much much better.  I have never had the camera move not even a mm when it was mounted on the Cube. I can not say the same thing about the 410. 

Also, I have spoken to a couple of photographers who shot with the 410s for years, and they would need to replace them once every two or three years and always have a back up on hand in case one failed on a shoot.  They finally broke down and bought the Cube and kick themselves for not getting it sooner. 

I've heard people say this, but I can't see how it happens - do you hit things with it or something??

micek

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2015, 08:18:30 am »

For what it is worth, I have used the same Manfrotto 410 head for the last 12 years. No falling apart, no repairs. Right now my 8x10 is sitting on it.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 09:35:40 am »

The only real negatives imho with the AS Cube is the price and weight. Once you invest in the Cube, it is one of those "a-ha" moments, and then you wonder how you got along without it for so long.  With heavier RRS legs (TVC-series) the Cube is perfect. With lighter legs, the Cube is a bit top heavy. Here is where the KPS T5 geared ball head really is the best choice. I use the T5 and Cube interchangeably.  The Manfrotto simply is not in the same class imho in terms of both build quality or capacity as the KPS T5 or Cube. The Manfrotto is heavier to boot---much cheaper, and simply not in the same class of tripod heads.

ken

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 05:48:43 pm »

Yep.  Further to Joe and Kens remarks.

I've had my Cube for 6 months.  Still have my 410.  I find the cube easier and more intuitive than the 410 and the levels are more accurate.
The only thing I wish for is a geared pan movement, but I won't be going back to the 410.

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 07:08:03 pm »

Manfrotto 405

Once a year some service. Take everything apart and grease it.
12 years without problems during daily use....only the weight and size
is sometimes painful.

sam@

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 09:05:46 pm »

Used a couple of the Manfrotto 405's for many years (don't bother with the 410)
never serviced / never pampered / never a problem / geared pan

I've always lusted after the cube on a looks / design basis but every time I nearly buy one I think will it really be such an improvement for the price?

Still.. damn sexy that cube!

Sam

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2015, 04:27:03 am »

I've always lusted after the cube on a looks / design basis but every time I nearly buy one I think will it really be such an improvement for the price?
Still.. damn sexy that cube!

That's so true.......
But why all theses knobs? I only need three.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2015, 06:49:46 am »

That's so true.......
But why all theses knobs? I only need three.
That's a good question. Starting from the bottom:
The little base pan lever: spins the whole head. I find that very useful because with a geared head it helps to orient the tilt and yaw movements.

The single knob at the base: this one is questionable if you use L-brackets. It tilts the whole head so you can conceivably shoot portrait. I don't know anyone who shoots that way. An L-bracket set up is much more handy I think (or dual plates if you have a tech camera). It does allow you to shoot straight at the ground though, which I don't think the Lindhof can do.

The four tilt and yaw knobs: Obvious main controls. Note this is really two, but it allows you to use either hand.

The top panning lever: This one is really important to me and another reason why I no longer use ball heads. I really like to level the camera and be able to swing it around without screwing up the level. I know you can add a panning clamp to ball heads, but that is something else to buy and carry.

I've used the A/S B1, BH-55, BH-40, Cube, and D4 geared. I currently use the cube for the technical camera, the BH-40 for light travel with the Sony, and the D4 for normal use with the Sony.

I think Ken's recommendations for the KPS T5 is an excellent option but I haven't tried it myself.

The cube stays on RRS 34 legs, the other two swap out on the RRS 24 legs with the TA-2-LC base.

BTW, I really like that base, and once I get the new L bracket for the A7rII, I will try shooting with only that base for a while to see really how limiting it is. Backpacking without a ball head at all is enticing, and that thing is solid as hell. Not only would I lose the weight, but the tripod sits so much nicer on the backpack without a big heavy ball head.

Dave
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:52:30 pm by dchew »

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 09:52:42 am »

Arca Cube, no contest.

I've been going through one Manfrotto 410 head after another, each lasted about 3 years.  Because I shoot architecture I find a ball head utterly hopeless, I want very small adjustments.

Had a credit note from a gear company burning a hole in my pocket and finally decided to use it to get the Arca cube a few months ago...  its fantastic.

I'll never be going back.  The speed of adjustment is a dream.

As for legs, I have loads, each to their own, of different heights and sizes. Yes the Cube is a meaty head, but I currently have it on one of the smaller manfrottos and while it feels a little top heavy when I pick it up its fine when set up.  For a heavier camera I'd use a heavier set of legs, there are horses for courses.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up