Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod and head choice for MF  (Read 23660 times)

Scotty-S

Tripod and head choice for MF
« on: August 08, 2015, 05:02:34 am »

Hi all,
I am in the need of a tripod upgrade, currently using a Gitzo 1257 and RRS BH40 and would like something more heavy duty for my Pentax 645Z and lenses.

Currently I am looking at the RRS TVC-34 (4section, not the L) and either of the following heads, the RRS BH55, Arca D4m (non geared) or the Uniqball 45x.

One thing that I hate is having to recompose just to move the image a little up or down, but then blowing the nice level image that I have achieved.  So I think the BH55 has to be out.

Anybody else using the D4m or Uniqball with heavy MF gear that can chime in on the quality of either?

PS I will most likely change the clamp on the D4m for an RRS lever as they are the best to use with gloves on.

Thanks, Scott

torger

Re: Tripod and head choice for MF
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 07:46:06 am »

I use the geared version of the Arca-Swiss D4 for my Linhof Techno, a quite heavy camera. As you can easily unlock the gears (unlike the Cube) I strongly suggest to have a look on that too and not only the D4m. I love to have gears for fine-tuning the leveling. The drawback is the higher price and somewhat higher weight.

The quality and precision is very good (a huge upgrade from a Manfrotto geared head I used before which had quite some play in it). The only problem I've heard about it that some parts of it might rust. I've used it for a couple of years without such problems though, but when I've been out in wet weather I do wipe off any excessive water, and due to my locations I rarely see salt water.

I'm not so impressed by the quick-release locks of Arca-Swiss in terms of ergonomy, so the RRS is certainly better designed. However I'm perfectly pleased with the old-school original classic screw clamp, it works well enough with gloves too. But it will be 3-4 seconds slower setup which really doesn't matter for my Techno which means a quite slow workflow anyway, but might mean something to you.

Mind though that while it was easy before to replace the clamp on D4/Cube heads it's now virtually impossible due to the change of loctite used. With blowtorch and professional loctite removal techniques you can probably do it, but you need to know what you're doing. For us regular consumers consider the clamp permanent.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:51:13 am by torger »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 09:16:30 am »

Hi,

I use the D4, too. What I think it is lacking is gears on horizontal adjustment. I would say that it is a serious issue, at least if you use anything north of 80 mm. Otherwise it is just fine…

Best regards
Erik

I use the geared version of the Arca-Swiss D4 for my Linhof Techno, a quite heavy camera. As you can easily unlock the gears (unlike the Cube) I strongly suggest to have a look on that too and not only the D4m. I love to have gears for fine-tuning the leveling. The drawback is the higher price and somewhat higher weight.

The quality and precision is very good (a huge upgrade from a Manfrotto geared head I used before which had quite some play in it). The only problem I've heard about it that some parts of it might rust. I've used it for a couple of years without such problems though, but when I've been out in wet weather I do wipe off any excessive water, and due to my locations I rarely see salt water.

I'm not so impressed by the quick-release locks of Arca-Swiss in terms of ergonomy, so the RRS is certainly better designed. However I'm perfectly pleased with the old-school original classic screw clamp, it works well enough with gloves too. But it will be 3-4 seconds slower setup which really doesn't matter for my Techno which means a quite slow workflow anyway, but might mean something to you.

Mind though that while it was easy before to replace the clamp on D4/Cube heads it's now virtually impossible due to the change of loctite used. With blowtorch and professional loctite removal techniques you can probably do it, but you need to know what you're doing. For us regular consumers consider the clamp permanent.
Erik Kaffehr

sgilbert

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 10:05:25 am »

I think Precision Camera will replace Arca clamps for a reasonable fee. 

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/arca_core.html

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 10:44:54 am »

RRS TVC-3 series is a great set of legs.  I would consider the KPS T5 geared ballhead over the AS D4 variants. You can order the T5 without a top-clamp making it easy to choose the top clamp that you want to use. I currently swap between a pano clamp and a RRS lever release top clamp on my T5.  The T5 geared ballhead is similar to the Cube in precision of adjustments, yet the speed of a ballhead at the same time.  Fit, finish, and workmanship is on par with RRS and AS products.

Full review here on LL and on my blog, https://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2015/04/15/the-kps-t5-geared-ballhead-in-search-of-the-elusive-white-unicorn/

:)  ken

Scotty-S

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 06:14:22 pm »

Wow Ken, this might just be what I am looking for.

I have always felt that the cube was rather hefty but loved the geared adjustments.

I will look more into this.

Is there any sag or slip in the head after the movements are made?

Thanks, Scott

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 11:32:04 am »

Hi,

With gears there is no slip or sag as you don't lock down the head. You turn the gears until you are happy and than you don't touch it any more.

Best regards
Erk

Wow Ken, this might just be what I am looking for.

I have always felt that the cube was rather hefty but loved the geared adjustments.

I will look more into this.

Is there any sag or slip in the head after the movements are made?

Thanks, Scott
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:23:57 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 09:56:16 am »

I have seen "lift" or sag with the AS D4 and the less capable Sunwayfoto GH-Pro, particularly with heavier loads.

I have not seen lift or sag with the AS Cube or the KPS T5 geared ballhead.

I use the AS Cube primarily in studio or on my RRS TVC-33 tripod legs. I find the Cube is slightly top heavy on my RRS TVC-24 tripod legs. I use the KPS T5 geared ball head on both my TVC-24 and TVC-33 tripod legs.  I use a RRS DVTL-40 on both heads with quick releases on both sets of tripod legs and studio camera stand which makes for very fast swapping of the heads.  Primary gear used is Cambo WRS, Phase DF, and Canon 1Ds III, and A7r (ha ha) all handled with no problem.  RRS, Cube, and T5 provide a great stable platform.

Ken

Ken R

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 01:51:31 pm »

I use a BH-55 on a Gitzo Carbon 3 series pod. Works perfectly. For hiking I sometimes take my Gitzo Carbon series 2 instead (using the same head). Always use an RRS panning clamp. Love that thing. As with most things photographic it's a matter of preference. Lot's of setups do the job. With a head like the Arca D4 its good to try it out first since it works differently than your typical ball head.

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 06:06:35 pm »

You may also consider a manfrotto head. I use a 410 with a H5x and 35-90 with no issue, but you could bulk up to a 405 should you feel the need. You can use this adapter to still use arca style plates (I have a RRS 90 degree plate on my body)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/555498-REG/Kirk_SQRC_3271_Quick_Release_Clamp_for.html

This would give you the fine gearing with quick releases for faster composition

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 06:49:04 pm »

Chris Hejnar also makes some wonderful adapters for the 410 and 405 amongst others.

I have the 410 and it's great.

http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/category-s/146.htm
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

NancyP

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 06:49:16 pm »

You can also swap out the Manfrotto clamp for an Arca-style clamp:
http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/category-s/147.htm
It's easy, even I can do it.
This made my (bought used) 410 much more pleasant to use, the original Manfrotto proprietary clamp really wasn't that firm.

Professional

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 05:36:20 am »

I still use my Gitzo series 3 & 5 tripod paired with RRS BH-55, i never felt i need to change a thing even that BH-55 is slightly heavyweight compared to my Markins QT3, but talking about sturdiness i never look back.

Not sure what i may get if i detach my Gitzo tripod and go with RRS tripods, Gitzo is still a top notch quality and even through these years i have zero issue with the tripods, and my BH-55 is still going strong, need little lubricating and it will go as brand new.

Good luck with any gear you will get!

rhern213

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 08:10:35 pm »

I'm on a Gitzo 2542-LS with an Acratech GP head holding a DF+/IQ180.

I've haven't experienced vibration blur from insufficient support.

Scotty-S

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 04:49:42 pm »

Thanks,

My reasons for upgrading were not for lack of sufficient support, but for needing a taller platform, shorter closed length, plus more precise movement control of the head.

I am thinking that the KPS head and either the TVC24L or the TVC34 might be the go.

I need to look more into the KPS as I would love to try one.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 05:05:57 pm »

Maybe have a look at the Induro tripods.
I have the CT414 which looks to have been replaced now.
http://www.indurogear.com/products/induro-clt404l.aspx

I've found it a great fit from short closed length to tall if I need it to be.

Cheers

Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 02:55:03 pm »

Hi,

I had an Acratech and I loved it. I may buy one again. But, one with a lever type release!

Best regards
Erik

I'm on a Gitzo 2542-LS with an Acratech GP head holding a DF+/IQ180.

I've haven't experienced vibration blur from insufficient support.
Erik Kaffehr

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 09:25:14 pm »

The RRS BH55 is the best ball head on the market.....period

Some Guy

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 10:46:46 pm »

The RRS BH55 is the best ball head on the market.....period

Another biased vote for the RRS BH-55 head, especially their clamp-lever one as I hate turning knobs for locks.  Only one I use now too.

I have a Wimberley Sidekick Gimbal that slips into the BH-55 head for gimbal rotational action, but crikey that screw-clamp knob is a slow pain to use and I always need to re-check it over the lever that quickly cam-locks into place.  Makes it a lot easier and quicker to flip landscape-to-portrait position too if a L-plate is on the camera.

Personally, I vote for fewer leg extensions.  Four per leg is too slow to set up, more wobbly, and takes more maintenance to keep it working smoothly.  I'd even settle for 2 per leg instead of the three sections I have now.  If I need to go lower, I'll just splay the legs out at the yoke and its almost on the ground.

Somewhere down the line I'd like to try one of those Ries wooden tripods out of Washington State to see if they dampen vibrations more than carbon fiber, with the weight factor aside.  http://www.riestripod.com/

SG

jco611

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 11:40:49 pm »

Cube or BH-55
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up