Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shadows  (Read 2807 times)

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
Shadows
« on: August 07, 2015, 05:18:08 pm »

Took these photos today and decided they might make good B&W images.
Hopefully they speak for themselves.
Comments?

Paul

[/url]P8074158.jpg by

P8074180.jpg by
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

Willard

Re: Shadows
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 01:23:05 am »

Just a thought about shadow pictures.  This is a personal taste thing so take it as that.  As a general rule (a rule I admittingly break on more than one occasion) I feel that when taking shadow pictures I try not to include the subject creating the shadow, or maybe just a small piece of the subject to give an anchor.  I feel this adds some mystery and interest for the viewer trying to fill in the rest of the scene that would create such a shadow. 
And I am not dissing your photos, my first thought was "I would have shot that", but then I would have tried to compose out the subjects and keep their shadows.  The bridge would be tough, but I like what you are seeing.

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 02:40:22 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, always welcome and appreciated :)
The images were meant to show the "mirroring effect" the shadows have on the subject, from my POV the first shot of the bridge shows how the diagonals and lines of the bridge are mimicked by the shadow and I thought it made a strong composition as it is, the one with the leaf has you looking at the leaf then invariably drawn to the leafs shadow, that was the intention, I was hoping for a bit more feedback but oh well.

Paul

Just a thought about shadow pictures.  This is a personal taste thing so take it as that.  As a general rule (a rule I admittingly break on more than one occasion) I feel that when taking shadow pictures I try not to include the subject creating the shadow, or maybe just a small piece of the subject to give an anchor.  I feel this adds some mystery and interest for the viewer trying to fill in the rest of the scene that would create such a shadow. 
And I am not dissing your photos, my first thought was "I would have shot that", but then I would have tried to compose out the subjects and keep their shadows.  The bridge would be tough, but I like what you are seeing.

Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:02:07 am »

I think they stand on their own: good shapes and textures. I would retain the objects that cast the shadows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up