Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Logo's and Grain!  (Read 8951 times)

Hidden Grid

Logo's and Grain!
« on: August 07, 2015, 01:39:13 am »

Are logo's really that bad on landscape photo's? Someone please explain why it may or isn't a bad thing to do.

Why is grain bad on most images of landscape?
Keep your finger on the shutter and your eye on the view finder...

I need an appraiser for my work. HiddenGrid0@Gmail.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Logo's and Grain!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 03:33:00 am »

Are logo's really that bad on landscape photo's? Someone please explain why it may or isn't a bad thing to do.

Hi,

Depends on what you are trying to sell, an image or a name.

Not sure of "most landscapes", but when I look at a landscape with my eyes, I don't see grain ...

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:08:36 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 08:50:39 am »

A logo on the back of a framed print or on a card included with it wouldn't be a bad thing. A logo that is actually on the front of the print or its mat would IMO be quite tacky. I can't imagine anyone wanting a logo on a print they hang in their home.

When it comes to grain I don't think there are any absolutes. I have known photographers who deliberately emphasize grain in some photos, especially black and white ones, to create a mood. It depends on the image and how you want to do with it.
- Dean

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 11:25:56 am »

... Why is grain bad on most images of landscape?

There was a discussion about it when I posted two landscapes with a grain effect in this thread:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=99796.msg817350#msg817350

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 12:24:31 pm »

I think grain substitutes for proper sharpening in many cases. The eyes like to "lock onto" sharper areas. Too few photographers I see at art shows understand proper sharpening for landscapes, at least to my taste. My own preference is for less obvious overall grain.

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 04:45:43 pm »

Grain was a real problem with film - especially 35mm. Some photographers who wanted to work in 35mm just began to accept it. Some even said that it was equivalent to an artist's brush strokes. After a while, a grainy looking B&W was sometimes seen as "gritty" and, depending on the subject, some thought it more expressive. But grain was always a consequence of the limitations of the film process.

Some, me included, fought grain most of the time and used larger formats to minimize grain - as well as to achieve smoother tones and colors. I came to the conclusion that sharp but as minimal as possible grain was preferable to chemically induce softening of grain because you also lost sharpness with grain reduction. I used Agfa Rodinal for my film developer because it produced crisp images and clear grain. I used 6x7 and 4x5 to minimize grain and rarely shot in 35mm unless absolutely needed. As a little aside, I have watched magazine art directors look at my 35mm and 6x7 chromes side by side on a light table and almost disrespectfully brush the 35mm aside. Given a similar subject and treatment, the larger chrome would always get selected.

Edward Weston, Brett Weston, Ansel Adams, Paul Caponigro, Wynn Bullock, and a whole raft of legendary 20th century masters spent a good deal of effort controlling grain and used larger formats for the increased IQ and reduced grain. Before them, the Pictorialist school of photographers (Gertrude Kasebier, Laura Gilpin, ect.) used grain and soft focus to get emotional results - much like impressionist paintings. BTW if you don't know the work of these photographers, you should. Most larger public libraries have extensive photography books collections and every photographer should know the history and the luminaries of the field - especially those who only came of age during the digital age.

Film has a certain charm but one of the attractions of digital in my mind is it's total lack of grain (digital noise and film grain DO NOT look the same) which is why it always puzzles me when digital photographers artificially introduce grain into their images. But that's a case of each to his own. Long winded answer complete, rant over.

bassman51

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 07:06:52 pm »

"Film has a certain charm but one of the attractions of digital in my mind is it's total lack of grain (digital noise and film grain DO NOT look the same) which is why it always puzzles me when digital photographers artificially introduce grain into their images. But that's a case of each to his own. Long winded answer complete, rant over."

All art - painting, drawing, photography, music - is constrained by the technology it employs to create the art.  Great artist (and not-so-great ones, sometimes) turn the constraints into a virtue; they make grain part of the art of their film images, brush strokes part of the art of their paintings, distortion part of the art of their electric guitars.  As technology improves, it is sometimes possible to eliminate the old constraints, but so much quality art has been created using the old technology that artists find ways to emulate the old constraints in their new art, even though they are no longer constraints. 

Black & White photography, anyone?
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.
Pages: [1]   Go Up