Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshelter's new Pro account Unlimited storage  (Read 84983 times)

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
Photoshelter's new Pro account Unlimited storage
« on: August 06, 2015, 03:16:54 pm »

Photoshelter has announced they are offering unlimited storage for their Pro account now($549). You can upload any image file. This along with the greatly improved Lightroom plugin now allows you to sync your files at Photoshelter with your images in LR.
I currently have their Standard account with 160gb of storage.
I'm trying to weigh the advantages of having my DNG's stored on Photoshelter as opposed to my current BackBlaze regime.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

thanks
Rob

AlterEgo

Re: Photoshelter's new Pro account Unlimited storage
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 03:58:43 pm »

Photoshelter has announced they are offering unlimited storage for their Pro account now($549). You can upload any image file. This along with the greatly improved Lightroom plugin now allows you to sync your files at Photoshelter with your images in LR.
I currently have their Standard account with 160gb of storage.
I'm trying to weigh the advantages of having my DNG's stored on Photoshelter as opposed to my current BackBlaze regime.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Code42 (CrashPlan), unlimited storage of any data is ~$60/year ... if you are just storing raw files then what is the point, unless you want to have one more extra option (vs "as opposed") ? Code42 is at least professionally in the business of data backup - which business Photoshelter is in ? beautifully displaying/presenting your photo ?

rcdurston

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 04:08:45 am »

I already use BackBlaze which is unlimited, any file format image or data for $60/year.
I use Photoshelter for mostly client delivery but having the RAWS in the same location seems like a solution when travelling and clients request changes to files.
Just wondering if anyone else is using it like this?

Rob

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 10:20:31 am »

I already use BackBlaze which is unlimited, any file format image or data for $60/year.

right, the point was not to suggest replacing BB with Code42, but to question the replacement of BB with Photoshelter whose business is not data backup

I use Photoshelter for mostly client delivery but having the RAWS in the same location seems like a solution when travelling and clients request changes to files.

well - and here goes the issue - if you change something you want to have the data backup, why in the world you want to avoid backup to BB and use instead dudes from Photoshelter for whom this is not the core business... ? what prevents you from having access to your data in BB while traveling, working with the data (raws, parametric adjustments, LR/C1/whatever catalogs, you name it), backup /differential on top of that to save time and bandwidth/ back to BB and copy output (tiff/jpg) to where it belongs for presentation/download by client purposes ? 

rcdurston

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 10:25:50 am »

Yes,
I would keep BB as well as PS. I was just thinking of having visual internet access to my images with metadata syncing would be handy.

thanks
Rob

AlterEgo

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 01:35:21 pm »

visual
well, if BB stays then the question is how to properly sync your new data back to BB when you download raws from Photoshelter by visually picking them from the set to work when you travel... when home where does the data resides that you backup to BB - external storage ?

rcdurston

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 02:40:07 pm »

That shouldn't be a problem, BB does incremental backups continuously. So if I came back from a trip where I had to download a DNG from PS to work on for a client, I could just replace the current DNG on my system, with the one from the laptop. Then when BB came to that drive to back it up, it would see a new modified time on the DNG and replace the one on their servers with the new modified one.

Thanks for questioning all this, its really helping me run through the scenarios in my head.
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up