Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post-storm overlook  (Read 2752 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Post-storm overlook
« on: August 05, 2015, 04:37:27 pm »

This was taken last fall. I saw the light getting interesting from my house which is in that town in the distance (Gunnison, Co). I was hoping for a good rainbow and jumped in the truck to this nearby recreation area. It's only a couple of Miles on paved roads but then a few more on 4x4 trails to get to the overlook. It rained hard and the trails got slippery. I almost put the truck in the ditch trying to hurry and look at the rainbow that had formed but eventually made it. The big rainbow that had distracted me from driving had faded but the light and rainbow remnants were even better. I only got a few minutes of this quality of light and tried a few compositions. This favorite tree was one of the first frames I shot and it ended up being my favorite from the session. A few minutes later it all turned gray.
Pentax K-3 & DA* 16-50/2.8
IMGP1745-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr
-MattB

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Post-storm overlook
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 04:49:19 pm »

That is quite a scene and I like your photo a lot. I do think that the rock at the lower right could be cropped out, have you tried that?

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 05:08:31 pm »

That is quite a scene and I like your photo a lot. I do think that the rock at the lower right could be cropped out, have you tried that?

I have not. I might have an alternate composition that doesn't include it. I definitely have one that includes more of it and a nice lead-in shadow line.
My concern with cropping would be putting the tree too close to the edge, especially that little twig that extends the farthest.
-MattB

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 07:11:02 pm »

It's a lovely image.

I have used photos as a reference for my paintings over a twenty year period. During that time I have usually studied a photo over a 3-15 hour period while I have been painting. The lighting in your photo is very unusual, especially the highlights under the branches. I would love to know more about the lighting.

As to the rock on the right, my painting teacher has always emphasied a hot, warm, cool, cold and neutral palette, so I wouldn't mind seeing a little more of it.

It is an intriguing image, well done.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

BradSmith

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:21:09 pm »

Matt,
It is a beautiful image, but my brain has a problem with it.   I keep being drawn back to the limbs on the tree which appear to be lit by the sun from the bottom.  Was all of he bark gone from the bottom and the wood bleached, with the dark bark still on top?  Or??????

Brad

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 03:41:47 am »

Tree, rainbow, clouds, all enveloped by golden light. Wonderful shot.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 12:37:20 pm »

Matt,
It is a beautiful image, but my brain has a problem with it.   I keep being drawn back to the limbs on the tree which appear to be lit by the sun from the bottom.  Was all of he bark gone from the bottom and the wood bleached, with the dark bark still on top?  Or??????

Brad

Thanks!
It's a dead tree that is sun bleached. A rain storm had just passed that wet the tops of the branches darkening them. Kind of an odd illusion, isn't it?
-MattB

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 12:43:18 pm »

It's a lovely image.

I have used photos as a reference for my paintings over a twenty year period. During that time I have usually studied a photo over a 3-15 hour period while I have been painting. The lighting in your photo is very unusual, especially the highlights under the branches. I would love to know more about the lighting.

As to the rock on the right, my painting teacher has always emphasied a hot, warm, cool, cold and neutral palette, so I wouldn't mind seeing a little more of it.

It is an intriguing image, well done.

Cheers,

Thank you.
The sun was setting over my left shoulder behind me, breaking in and out of the clouds.
The highlights are an illusion from the rain wetting just part of the wood.

I'll find one with more rock, it's got a lot greate lichen on it. I visit this rock and spot every now and then, lots of character here.
-MattB

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 12:49:28 pm »

Here is an alternate take with more rock. I like it but I think I prefer the other one.
-MattB

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 12:53:54 pm »

#2 for me, Matt. I like trees and rocks better when they are clearly attached to the ground.  ;)

MTGFender

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 06:11:34 pm »

Fantastic light and composition. I really like it. Pramote

NancyP

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 07:09:37 pm »

Gorgeous light. #2 preferred. Congratulations on your work.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 10:12:42 pm »

Beautifully luminesce photograph Matt. Knowing "your own backyard" like you do, Matt, certainly pays dividends.

The question was asked elsewhere on this forum about photographing the same thing more than once. Coming back to the same place you know so well has resulted in a remarkable photograph and answers the question with a definite yes.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up