Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else taken the Adobe Cloud pricing survey?  (Read 14848 times)

jrp

Re: Anyone else taken the Adobe Cloud pricing survey?
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 07:42:10 pm »

Just guessing, but I wonder whether Adobe is trying to find out what it would take to entice photography-bundle subscribers to upgrade either to the full suite or to some subset thereof that included more than the photography bundle.

That would be fair enough, if it did not involve a price increase for those that do not need or want the extra applications and signed up to the photography bundle on the basis of the assurance that no price increases were being contemplated for it.

ButchM

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 11:22:21 am »

What isn't speculation is the history of the subscription pricing.

What is also not speculation due to historical record, is that the executives at Adobe have implemented sweeping changes without prior warning.

I offer that observation based upon being an Adobe license holder for over 23 years and a current subscriber to the Photography Package.  If you recall, the price adjustment came as a result of "listening" after the fact .... the adjustment of the pricing for photographers was NOT a result of forethought and critical analysis before implementation ... but the result of uproar and pushback from a significant number of traditional users.

Yes, it is speculation as to what data this particular survey is attempting to collect and what motivated Adobe to conduct the survey ... however, it is not speculative to cast a doubtful eye on the intentions on the executives making decisions. They have proven to be quite fickle and self-serving in their decision making. Which has resulted in having to re-address those decisions after the fact. They don't seem to have a great track record of making wise decisions initially.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 12:10:42 pm »

IF I understand Simon's description of the survey, not every question about pricing was about a higher than current price. Did I understand that correctly Simon?

Andrew, that is correct.

I need to be clear that the photographic package was not one of the options offered.  It appears that they were looking for feedback on the pricing of other single applications and packages.  By way of personal example, I also use InDesign but have not updated since CS4 since even the current subscription price to CC is, in my view, prohibitive – especially when compared to pricing of the photography package.  [WARNING – SPECULATION  ;D] Perhaps Adobe are trying to see what pricing would encourage users like me to subscribe to other CC software ?

If I recollect correctly the pricing seemed to start high and came down as I rejected the various options.  From my own experience of completing the survey I do not believe that Adobe were simply trying out a simple ‘what price can we get away with’ but what kind of subscription model was preferred and what kind of packaging was preferred.  The data they would have gleaned will be complex.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 05:24:13 pm »

By way of personal example, I also use InDesign but have not updated since CS4 since even the current subscription price to CC is, in my view, prohibitive – especially when compared to pricing of the photography package. 
A bit OT but I'm on the same page as you with respect to ID. I'm hardly a power user but I'm not sure what new 'features' it has that would make me go to the CC version. And that's kind of key, if Adobe doesn't make other items in the suite a must have for our work, why subscribe to a more expensive package?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ButchM

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 05:48:02 pm »

And that's kind of key, if Adobe doesn't make other items in the suite a must have for our work, why subscribe to a more expensive package?

Me too ... I stopped upgrading to ID at CS3 because the amount of documents I was creating for print were beginning to decline ... and ... ID is a bit of overkill for wedding album design.

I do occasionally accept projects where I must use the latest version of ID for compatibility reasons ... then I'll just do a single app, one month rental for $29.99 and pass the cost onto the client as part of my fee. While I am a huge fan of ID, it's not worth it to pay a single app annual or whole package fee to have it accessible each and every work day.

If Adobe would be inclined to offer mid-range packages ... say any 3 CC apps for an appropriately discounted monthly fee ... I would consider such an offer with great interest. Not that I don't find the $50 whole enchilada offer a reasonable investment ... there's a lot of dead weight in there for the work I do. Many of the apps would never be used at all. No sense in investing in tools I'll never utilize.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2015, 12:10:45 pm »

A bit OT but I'm on the same page as you with respect to ID. I'm hardly a power user but I'm not sure what new 'features' it has that would make me go to the CC version. And that's kind of key, if Adobe doesn't make other items in the suite a must have for our work, why subscribe to a more expensive package?
+1

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2015, 12:13:01 pm »

Talk about a complete POS, look at (or don't) Acrobat DC. Awful! Looks like it was designed for idiots and unlike version 9, I can't find how to do anything based on it's 'work by icon' approach.

Stephen Ray

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2015, 02:34:46 pm »

I can't find how to do anything based on it's 'work by icon' approach.

Certainly not to defend Acrobat DC, but isn’t the toolbox in Photoshop a “work by icon” approach? The Macintosh and others from 30 years ago a “work by icon” approach?

I think, Andrew you’re being dragged by Adobe into a touch-screen / mobile tactile world and you’re not comfortable yet with that notion. It is 30 years later now, after all.

It is true people don’t like changes that seem to be too different than what they expect. (Subscriptions vs Perpetual.)

Again, not to defend Adobe.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2015, 02:57:20 pm »

Certainly not to defend Acrobat DC, but isn’t the toolbox in Photoshop a “work by icon” approach? The Macintosh and others from 30 years ago a “work by icon” approach?
What I was referring to was an approach where nearly all of the items for editing or processing are totally icon based and separated. Few menu items to look for to find the tool you need. So no, nothing like Photoshop. I deleted DC but if you'd like, I can go back and provide a screen capture. I'm back on Acrobat 11, where I can find the tools I need.
There's a screen capture here: http://cdn1.tnwcdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2015/04/Screen-Shot-2015-04-03-at-10.54.58-AM.png
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up