Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Review: Epson Kills the Printer Ink Cartridge

(1/2) > >>

Michael West:
 The new EcoTank printers cost more up front but can churn for years without running dry

http://www.wsj.com/articles/review-epson-kills-the-printer-ink-cartridge-1438683871

There was no word in the article about the possibility that   this feature be used throughout the epson catalog of printers. but we can hope

langier:
That is what I like about my Epson 9900: 750 ml carts!

Peter McLennan:
Epson appears to have recognized the environmental cost of tiny ink carts.  Good on 'em.  I'm more than willing to pay upfront for a printer that avoids the inexcusable use of tiny carts. Unfortunately, I'm in the minority.  These units have apparently been so-so sellers in other markets, despite the money savings in the long run.

For day-to-day colour prints, these printers make sense.  Yes, I know they're only four-colour printers, but I believe for many uses they'll probably be good enough. Remember the Epson 1160? I still have excellent prints from those decade-old printers and they were CMYK only.

The bad news is they're letter-sized only and it appears that on all but the most expensive ET4500, (US$ 1200) the inks are dyes, not pigments.  It remains to be seen how long-lived these dye prints are.

Thanks, Epson, for bringing these printers to the North American market.  I'll be among the first in line.

Paul Roark:
Third party sellers have had continuous inking systems (CIS's) for years.  The Epson response has been in some more competitive non-US markets for quite a while.

Note that the inks appear to be dyes.  Pigment settling would be a problem otherwise.  With the third party CIS approach you can agitate the bottles separately.  I'm not sure if the Epson built-in CIS separates for agitation.

It looks like a reasonable response to competition. 

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Michael West:

--- Quote from: Paul Roark on August 05, 2015, 11:55:32 am ---Third party sellers have had continuous inking systems (CIS's) for years.  The Epson response has been in some more competitive non-US markets for quite a while.

Note that the inks appear to be dyes.  Pigment settling would be a problem otherwise.  With the third party CIS approach you can agitate the bottles separately.  I'm not sure if the Epson built-in CIS separates for agitation.

It looks like a reasonable response to competition. 

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

--- End quote ---

I got done reading this thread...took out the garbage....and found this in the ""dumpster room" at my apartment building

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version