Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Review: Epson Kills the Printer Ink Cartridge  (Read 2307 times)

Michael West

Review: Epson Kills the Printer Ink Cartridge
« on: August 04, 2015, 11:00:24 pm »

The new EcoTank printers cost more up front but can churn for years without running dry

http://www.wsj.com/articles/review-epson-kills-the-printer-ink-cartridge-1438683871

There was no word in the article about the possibility that   this feature be used throughout the epson catalog of printers. but we can hope

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Review: Epson Kills the Printer Ink Cartridge
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:54:39 am »

That is what I like about my Epson 9900: 750 ml carts!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 11:02:03 am »

Epson appears to have recognized the environmental cost of tiny ink carts.  Good on 'em.  I'm more than willing to pay upfront for a printer that avoids the inexcusable use of tiny carts. Unfortunately, I'm in the minority.  These units have apparently been so-so sellers in other markets, despite the money savings in the long run.

For day-to-day colour prints, these printers make sense.  Yes, I know they're only four-colour printers, but I believe for many uses they'll probably be good enough. Remember the Epson 1160? I still have excellent prints from those decade-old printers and they were CMYK only.

The bad news is they're letter-sized only and it appears that on all but the most expensive ET4500, (US$ 1200) the inks are dyes, not pigments.  It remains to be seen how long-lived these dye prints are.

Thanks, Epson, for bringing these printers to the North American market.  I'll be among the first in line.

Paul Roark

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 11:55:32 am »

Third party sellers have had continuous inking systems (CIS's) for years.  The Epson response has been in some more competitive non-US markets for quite a while.

Note that the inks appear to be dyes.  Pigment settling would be a problem otherwise.  With the third party CIS approach you can agitate the bottles separately.  I'm not sure if the Epson built-in CIS separates for agitation.

It looks like a reasonable response to competition. 

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Michael West

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 05:17:00 pm »

Third party sellers have had continuous inking systems (CIS's) for years.  The Epson response has been in some more competitive non-US markets for quite a while.

Note that the inks appear to be dyes.  Pigment settling would be a problem otherwise.  With the third party CIS approach you can agitate the bottles separately.  I'm not sure if the Epson built-in CIS separates for agitation.

It looks like a reasonable response to competition. 

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

I got done reading this thread...took out the garbage....and found this in the ""dumpster room" at my apartment building

enduser

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 05:48:20 pm »

Paywall.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 07:27:11 pm »

I've owned a half dozen Epson printers over the years, including a POS 9800.  I sometimes implemented a continuous inking system on several Epson printer with variable results. I swore that, if Epson ever made a printer that refilled from bottles rather than carts I'd buy it.  So I did.  From Taiwan.  An Epson L-805.  It's a six-ink unit that you refill from bottles.  (glug, glug, glug)  Very satisfying.

Some six years and hundreds of prints later, I have to say it's the most reliable, fun to use, highest image quality desktop printer I've ever owned.

The new Eco Tank printers will make a borderless 13X19.  That's big enough for me these days.  Anybody want a cheap, barely-used HP Z3200?

Michael West

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 07:34:08 pm »

I've owned a half dozen Epson printers over the years, including a POS 9800.  I sometimes implemented a continuous inking system on several Epson printer with variable results. I swore that, if Epson ever made a printer that refilled from bottles rather than carts I'd buy it.  So I did.  From Taiwan.  An Epson L-805.  It's a six-ink unit that you refill from bottles.  (glug, glug, glug)  Very satisfying.

Some six years and hundreds of prints later, I have to say it's the most reliable, fun to use, highest image quality desktop printer I've ever owned.

The new Eco Tank printers will make a borderless 13X19.  That's big enough for me these days.  Anybody want a cheap, barely-used HP Z3200?

theyve come a  long ways since the mid 90's when I liven in a nearly completely un insulated second floor apartment where it got so hot the rubber belt...on the epsons I had would snap every few weeks. I

the UPS guy and I became very closer very frequently.. Id give him the old printer to return....hed hand me the NEW replacement...this happened a half dozen times.

I couldnt fault the print quality when they were still working..but with a temperature a tad above 100 degrees inside.....they were over stressed ...m really surpised that epson  kept replacing them..
Pages: [1]   Go Up