Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Combining Sony A7R2 to Arca DOs and DON’Ts  (Read 25130 times)

ctz

Re: Combining Sony A7R2 to Arca DOs and DON’Ts
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 01:51:45 am »

Did you try with the A7rII? AF speed is supposed to be much better than with the older cameras.

Best regards
Erik

Yes, with an A7R2 it's the only one Sony I have (the latest camera, latest software on metabones IV). AF it's terrible. Kind of Minolta AF in the late eighties. Even with a small and fast lens as EF50/1.4. Not usable.

chrismuc

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 10:11:32 am »

Chris,
why do you use the Universalis and M2 set-ups and not simply Metabones Canon EF - Sony E
+ TSE 17/24
+ Contax CY - Canon EF Adapter + Contax CY 35 PC
+ Mirex Hasselblad V - Canon EF Adapter + Hasselblad 40/ 50/ 60/ 80
?
Christoph

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 10:38:03 am »

Tilt/Shift lenses and Tilt/Shift adapters have never been as functional as a real view camera.  Being able to shift X and Y axis independently as well as having real Tilt and Swing make the workflow greatly more efficient.  Having to shift diagonally on a T/S lens always drove me nuts and it was harder to get a precise composition.  Also, the built-in shift on the 24mm TS-e II is, what, 12mm?  On the view camera I can push it to it's limits, a little beyond 15mm.  Lastly, stitching is not for me, but if you want to... it's way more accurate to do it on a view camera than a T/S lens.

CB

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 03:42:02 pm »

Chris,

Thanks,

Paul

Also, many (maybe all?) Canon lenses mounted natively to a Canon body will retain the aperture if you press the depth of field preview, then turn the camera off. I've done this with several of my lenses (Canon and Sigma) on my 6D. Workaround if you don't have a metabones adapter.

Steve Hendrix
CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 04:00:10 pm »

Hi,

Thanks! I need to wait another two weeks for my A7rII. The only Canon lens I have is the 24/3.5 TSE and that has no AF. Nice to have some feedback.

For me, AF is long down on the priority list but it is still nice to know!

Best regards
Erik

Yes, with an A7R2 it's the only one Sony I have (the latest camera, latest software on metabones IV). AF it's terrible. Kind of Minolta AF in the late eighties. Even with a small and fast lens as EF50/1.4. Not usable.
Erik Kaffehr

ctz

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 04:46:52 pm »

Hi,

Thanks! I need to wait another two weeks for my A7rII.
For me, AF is long down on the priority list but it is still nice to know!

Erik,
I was a bit lucky, I catched one of the first three coming in to town :)
For me AF is also a low priority (as long as I'm desperate to put the A7R2 on a view camera  ;D ). But I would not keep those Canon lenses just as non-AF lens. And as the most expensive adapter on market, Metabones IS a disappointment. IMHO.

Graham Welland

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 01:54:06 am »

Also, many (maybe all?) Canon lenses mounted natively to a Canon body will retain the aperture if you press the depth of field preview, then turn the camera off. I've done this with several of my lenses (Canon and Sigma) on my 6D. Workaround if you don't have a metabones adapter.

Steve Hendrix
CI

I use the Alpa FPS and I'm kind of thinking what's the problem? It all just works on that camera ....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 01:56:49 am by Graham Welland »
Graham

Graham Welland

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 01:55:48 am »

Btw to the OP - if you're looking for a new platform and aren't constrained by the lens mount then I'd recommend looking at the Cambo Actus system.
Graham

ctz

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 04:22:50 am »

Btw to the OP - if you're looking for a new platform and aren't constrained by the lens mount then I'd recommend looking at the Cambo Actus system.

Yes, I considered Cambo Actus also, but I'm not big fan of Cambo, in general.
I'm inclined to pass on Universalis also, and looking for an M or M-two. Arca seems to have better accessories in their system. Plus I might get one S/H Arca Swiss 6X9 Monolith at a good price.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 04:29:36 am by ctz »

Chris Barrett

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 08:37:32 am »

Ciprian, the big difference between the M-Line and the M2 are:

M2 has no shift on the front standard, just swing and tilt.
M2 also has no swing nor tilt at the rear, just shift.

Arca designed it this way to be lighter and less expensive.  It also makes it a bit more precise.  The M2 has been extremely good for me with the Sony as well as digital backs.  If you need front and rear tilt/swing, go with the Monolith.

I also considered the Actus, but it has no geared shift and Cambo cameras have never been quite as nice nor versatile as Arcas.

Graham,  Alpa makes awesome cameras, but I don't see how the FPS would work for Ciprian.  There are no movements built-in, right?  Also, tech cams are not a great way to use long lenses.  Lastly, it would restrict him to MFDB as a capture platform.

-yada yada, etc, etc

ctz

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 05:30:34 pm »

M2 has no shift on the front standard, just swing and tilt.
M2 also has no swing nor tilt at the rear, just shift.

Arca designed it this way to be lighter and less expensive.  It also makes it a bit more precise.  The M2 has been extremely good for me with the Sony as well as digital backs.  If you need front and rear tilt/swing, go with the Monolith.

@Chris: Yes, I know that M2 has cut some of the original Monolith movements, but I never use back tilt or front shift anyway. Also, micrometric shift are a must also in my case.
And you're right having less movements might make the all rig sturdier or more precise. I also presume that the focus mechanism (important to me) might have been a little improved on the newer M-two, but that might be just wishful thinking from my part :)
I lean a bit towards the Monolith just because I mght get one at a very good price S/h, otherwise I'll go for a brand new M-two.
And of course, Alpa was never a contender for me.

One last question.
My old Sinar has a rocking mechanism similar to Arca's Orbix, but for me, adapting a 4x5 P2 to digital, the 2/3 mecjhanism axis was outside of the smaller digital sensor, which resulted in a lot of head scratching when I tilted, because the constant focus axis was already outside the frame.
So is the orbix more efficient, as Arca claims, having the rocking axis in the center? When you tilt/swing, do you have a line that remains in focus? Forget my poor English, but somehow I hope that you understand the  point I try to ask about :)

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 09:54:58 pm »

One last question.
My old Sinar has a rocking mechanism similar to Arca's Orbix, but for me, adapting a 4x5 P2 to digital, the 2/3 mecjhanism axis was outside of the smaller digital sensor, which resulted in a lot of head scratching when I tilted, because the constant focus axis was already outside the frame.
So is the orbix more efficient, as Arca claims, having the rocking axis in the center? When you tilt/swing, do you have a line that remains in focus? Forget my poor English, but somehow I hope that you understand the  point I try to ask about :)

Solution: Carrier Frame Wide for Sinar cameras. But I think you have it, don't you?

Kumar
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:59:44 pm by Kumar »

ctz

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 12:35:34 am »

No, I didn't manage to find one. :|
Later edit: Sorry, you're RIGHT! I HAVE ONE :D
The problem with that wide carrier (haha, I even forgot its name, hence the confusion) is that it introduces a couple of centimetres more between lens and camera, which is not ideal when you want to use a shorter lens. Even a 55 mm unshifted is a challenge without a carrier, already, let alone other shorter lenses. I need a 35-40mm field of view which, right now, even with a digital back, is not feasible for me.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:09:54 am by ctz »

ctz

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 02:38:01 pm »

OOPs, and another one:
@Chris, did you happen to use hdmi AND usb simultaneously?

It looks like if you are using USB for capturing the files and HDMI for Live Viewing, the hdmi monitor goes blank, only showing iso/f-stop/speed, but on a black screen (the pc monitor is blanking, the camera display goes blank anyway, when you connect the hdmi, but there’s no settings displayed)
Is this normal? Is there a workaround?
I use, in the studio, two monitors, one on my Mac, for tethering with Capture One, and another one, hooked on HDMI to the camera’s microHDMI, for LiveView. I’ve tried pushing the Display button on camera, the infos are alternating, but there’s no picture for live view on the HDMI monitor, just the settings. However, as soon as I pull the USB out, everything’s back to normal and I can see the liveview back on the dedicated monitor. Strange.

Thanks in advance, again.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:04:45 pm by ctz »

Chris Barrett

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 05:29:09 pm »

Yeah, you have to go into the settings to get the feeds set up the way you want.  It's been a little while since I've done it so I can't say exactly.  I'll look into it it tomorrow when I get back from location... but yeah, I had HDMI out to a big monitor while also capturing tethered via USB.

CB

ctz

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 11:54:14 pm »

I think I tried a lot of settings on the camera, guess I browsed each and everyone of them, but no luck for now. I'll still try.
But if you find the settings required, please let me know. I'm all ears  ;D

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2015, 03:43:13 pm »

OOPs, and another one:
@Chris, did you happen to use hdmi AND usb simultaneously?

It looks like if you are using USB for capturing the files and HDMI for Live Viewing, the hdmi monitor goes blank, only showing iso/f-stop/speed, but on a black screen (the pc monitor is blanking, the camera display goes blank anyway, when you connect the hdmi, but there’s no settings displayed)
Is this normal? Is there a workaround?
I use, in the studio, two monitors, one on my Mac, for tethering with Capture One, and another one, hooked on HDMI to the camera’s microHDMI, for LiveView. I’ve tried pushing the Display button on camera, the infos are alternating, but there’s no picture for live view on the HDMI monitor, just the settings. However, as soon as I pull the USB out, everything’s back to normal and I can see the liveview back on the dedicated monitor. Strange.

Thanks in advance, again.

I'm having the same problem, has anyone found a solution to the USB/HDMI issue? Apparently this wasn't a problem with the older A7R.
While shooting tethered to a computer, and having a small monitor hooked up via HDMI for live view the screen goes blank. This only happens when the USB is hooked up, but when the USB is disconnected the live view comes right back on the external monitor.
After contacting Sony several times I've come to the conclusion that their support is completely useless.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

ctz

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2015, 02:01:40 pm »

I'm having the same problem, has anyone found a solution to the USB/HDMI issue? Apparently this wasn't a problem with the older A7R.

Yes, @Chris, "Help Us, You're our only hope" :)
Only if there is, indeed, a problem specific to A7 R II.
I tried all the relevant setting combinations for HDMI, USB, etc, no luck for me.

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2015, 02:05:24 pm »

Yes, @Chris, "Help Us, You're our only hope" :)
Only if there is, indeed, a problem specific to A7 R II.
I tried all the relevant setting combinations for HDMI, USB, etc, no luck for me.

I got Sony support to escalate this issue to their engineering department after numerous calls with no resolution, but they have not gotten back to me yet.
I'll post an update once I hear back...
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

ctz

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2015, 02:12:50 pm »

I got Sony support to escalate this issue to their engineering department after numerous calls with no resolution, but they have not gotten back to me yet.
I'll post an update once I hear back...

Great, so now I've got TWO only hopes :P
Thanks, Zachary, looking forward for any news.
Fingers crossed.

I still use Capture One's Live View which is ok, in absence of other solution
Just that bloody window does not (automatically or at least MANUALLY) change the orientation when you change the camera from landscape to portrait. What a bummer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up