Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Combining Sony A7R2 to Arca DOs and DON’Ts  (Read 25122 times)

ctz

Combining Sony A7R2 to Arca DOs and DON’Ts
« on: August 04, 2015, 03:02:34 pm »

Hello Everybody

After ten years of using a Phase One P45, then P45+ mounted on a Sinar P2, starting last week, I’m a happy owner of a Sony A7R2. Which I intend to use on an Arca Swiss M, or M-two, or an Universalis. The only movements that I need, tilt/swing on front and rise/shift on back are available on all three if I understood correctly, so no contest here. Also, as much as I loved Sinar, they look like are lacking some motivation lately, compared to Arca or Cambo, and I’m not a big Cambo fan. Which makes Arca the obvious choice.
My jobs are mainly food and drink related, you can see some examples here: http://on.be.net/1K2hHCP

Some questions are looking for answers and I hope some experienced Arca or Sony users might chime in.
1. FOCUS PRECISION
Is there any precision difference between M, M-two, Universalis? I presume that Universalis, been the last one to the table, might be more precise, focus mechanism wise. I’m tempted with a very good and quite cheap second hand M 6x9 but I wouldn’t mind to spend more on Universalis, if it’s more precise.
2. USING A LONG 210mm LENS on Universalis
I presume that I would need another bellow and monorail extension, but would it be enough?
3. USING A 35mm LENS
Is this possible on any of the ARCAs? Do you need some recessed boards for that?

4. USING LIVE VIEW ON SONY:
To my dismay I found out that Capture One (a software that I use and like) don’t let me rotate or change the orientation in Live View AND Sony’s own Remote app does not provide Live View, AND you cannot use ipad app wirelessly when you’re tethered on USB. Bummer. Is there a hack around? Any other solution that let you use and focus on Live View AND let you shoot to computer?
Or is there a hdmi to iPad solution? Might be an option.

5. I’m still new for this Arca/Sony combination. Do you have any tips on some accessories, cables, hdmi monitors, carts, tripod heads, etc. I’ve found out and put on my list some Tether Tools accessories, for example.

Please feel free to describe your setups, regardless that you shoot products, interiors, architecture, etc.

Thanks in advance to everyone and looking forward for your input.

BTW, compared to P45+, A7R2 IQ looks very, very promising. I already adapted it artisanally on Sinar but i cannot wait to settle on one of the ARCAs.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 03:06:59 pm by ctz »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Combining Sony A7R2 to Arca DOs and DON’Ts
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 03:21:37 pm »

Here is an article I wrote about the use of the Sony A7r and the Arca DSLR2 which is an Acra M2 adapted for use with DSLR cameras.  It will give you some ideas I hope.

http://photosofarkansas.com/2014/11/07/the-arca-swiss-dslr-2-a-perfect-companion-to-the-sony-a7r-part-1-camera-review/

The Universalis will be a perfect companion to the A7rII. Only issue will be wide lenses as the widest solution is the 32mm HR-W rodenstock. Vertical shooting is also a bit challenging.

Live view is great and focus precision is excellent with the Arca.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 03:29:53 pm »

4. USING LIVE VIEW ON SONY:
To my dismay I found out that Capture One (a software that I use and like) don’t let me rotate or change the orientation in Live View AND Sony’s own Remote app does not provide Live View, AND you cannot use ipad app wirelessly when you’re tethered on USB. Bummer. Is there a hack around? Any other solution that let you use and focus on Live View AND let you shoot to computer?
Or is there a hdmi to iPad solution? Might be an option.

I use an Atomos Shogun, connected using HDMI, when I need a big live view image. The image is very bright and sharp. Atomos makes a nice sun hood. It's expensive, however. I happen to have one so I can record 4K video with the a7S.

There are many cheaper HDMI battery-powered displays.

By the way, I find the Shogun focus peaking inferior to the built in a7x peaking, although it is more adjustable.

Jim

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 03:41:44 pm »

I use an Atomos Shogun, connected using HDMI, when I need a big live view image. The image is very bright and sharp. Atomos makes a nice sun hood. It's expensive, however. I happen to have one so I can record 4K video with the a7S.

There are many cheaper HDMI battery-powered displays.

By the way, I find the Shogun focus peaking inferior to the built in a7x peaking, although it is more adjustable.

Jim

I think you could use a simple HDMI cable to your standard TV or monitor if you are in the studio.
A $200 TV will do the job very well.
Or a small dedicated monitor mounted on camera, as Jim suggests, but these often need power of their own and are a bit expensive.
Also, you can use one of many wireless solutions to transmit HDMI wirelessly to an offboard monitor. 

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 03:43:55 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ctz

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 03:50:57 pm »

The Universalis will be a perfect companion to the A7rII. Only issue will be wide lenses as the widest solution is the 32mm HR-W rodenstock. Vertical shooting is also a bit challenging.

Paul, of course that I already found and read you're article before posting :) A great one!

About vertical shooting, in what way is "a bit challenging"? Does this apply only to Universalis or also to the M and the M-two?

ctz

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:53:35 pm »

Jim, thanks for reply.
Indeed, the Atomos IS a bit too expensive, for me.
Maybe if I was doing video, there might have been another question, but no.

ctz

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 03:57:01 pm »

I think you could use a simple HDMI cable to your standard TV or monitor if you are in the studio.
A $200 TV will do the job very well.
Or a small dedicated monitor mounted on camera, as Jim suggests, but these often need power of their own and are a bit expensive.
Also, you can use one of many wireless solutions to transmit HDMI wirelessly to an offboard monitor. 

Edmund

Edmund, good tip!
I wasn't even aware that such wireless solutions might even exist :) Worth a look.

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 04:18:11 pm »

Owning both the Universalis and M2 I can say without question that the M2 is more precise and sturdy.  Since I'm all on location lately, though, I've been using the Universalis more (due to its compactness and lighter weight).

There aren't any great 35mm lens mounting solutions from Arca.  Here's what I had made up at SK Grimes...

My lens kit is:

Canon 17mm TS-E
Canon 24mm TS-E II
Contax 35mm PC
Hasselblad 40mm CFe
Hasselblad 50mm CFi
Hasselblad 60mm CFi
Hasselblad 80mm CFe

Arca does make a mounting board for the 'Blad glass.  I've done heavy shooting with the setup the last two weeks and am quite pleased.  Here's one from last night...

Longer lenses are a drag.  The included bellows will work with up to a 135mm.  I suppose you could add a carrier and bellows to go longer.  Arca also offers an extension that's a square tube.  I don't love that solution.  HDMI on the Sony works awesomely.  I've run it into a SmallHD DP4 with a wireless HDMI transmitter attached... sending the signal to a larger field monitor for art directors.  Live View through HDMI is world's better than C1Pro.

What else?

CB

ctz

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 04:35:00 pm »

Chris,

Very helpful, as always! Many thanks.

I'm not surprised that Universalis is a bit inferior to M-two, and considering that I work 99% of time in studio with a 100kg tripod, I care less about the smaller Universalis weight.
Now I wonder if there's more precision in M-two compared to original M Monolith, though ::)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 04:40:02 pm »

Edmund, good tip!
I wasn't even aware that such wireless solutions might even exist :) Worth a look.

miracast, dlna, etc. but those are mainly for comps, there are doubtless more genera purpose dongles.
Bolt is  pro video quality real time remote view/xmit

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 05:34:08 pm »

Owning both the Universalis and M2 I can say without question that the M2 is more precise and sturdy.  Since I'm all on location lately, though, I've been using the Universalis more (due to its compactness and lighter weight).

There aren't any great 35mm lens mounting solutions from Arca.  Here's what I had made up at SK Grimes...

My lens kit is:

Canon 17mm TS-E
Canon 24mm TS-E II
Contax 35mm PC
Hasselblad 40mm CFe
Hasselblad 50mm CFi
Hasselblad 60mm CFi
Hasselblad 80mm CFe

Arca does make a mounting board for the 'Blad glass.  I've done heavy shooting with the setup the last two weeks and am quite pleased.  Here's one from last night...

Longer lenses are a drag.  The included bellows will work with up to a 135mm.  I suppose you could add a carrier and bellows to go longer.  Arca also offers an extension that's a square tube.  I don't love that solution.  HDMI on the Sony works awesomely.  I've run it into a SmallHD DP4 with a wireless HDMI transmitter attached... sending the signal to a larger field monitor for art directors.  Live View through HDMI is world's better than C1Pro.

What else?

CB

Hi Chris:

How is the electrical connection being made on the TS-E to the Sony?  Did SK mount a metabones to a Acra plate for the front, but I can't figure out how the aperture is closing?  The bellows, does it have something different than the standard Arca Magnetic E mount?

Cool deal BTW.

Thanks
Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 05:37:55 pm »

Paul, of course that I already found and read you're article before posting :) A great one!

About vertical shooting, in what way is "a bit challenging"? Does this apply only to Universalis or also to the M and the M-two?

I wasn't clear on that one.  The Sony LCD only flips out horizontally, so if you go vertical, then you pretty much have to be up in front of the camera and since moving the screen only takes you off vertical, it's a bit harder to use.  The only screen I have seen that really would work is the excellent design that Sony has on the A99, or one of the Canon non Pro cameras (go figure).

The issue for me was outdoors, as the Sony LCD is pretty much a mirror in good to bright light.  When setup horizontally, I could easily move the screen to effect reflections, but vertical was not possible. 

Still a great solution and Chris B has figured out a way to get the Canon TS-E's to work, as Arca has never released their mount for Canon, but that also requires all the Arca Electronics.  Chris's solution is much simpler.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Chris Barrett

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 06:19:35 pm »

It's a dumb mount, Paul.  I leave the Cannons at f/11.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 07:24:15 pm »

Ah,

I thought something was up.  But how do you set the Canon to F11?  I should know this, but don't.  I know about the trick of pulling the lens a bit off the AF mount for video to avoid flicker in time laspe is that the trick?

Thanks
Paul
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:04:21 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Chris Barrett

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 08:54:29 pm »

I have a Meta bones Eos adapter. Mount the lens on the Sony. Set your desired aperture and trigger a long exposure. Remove the lens while the shutter is still open and it will hold the aperture.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 09:33:26 pm »

Chris,

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

ddolde

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 09:36:52 pm »

I don't see the point of such a bastardized combination. But then I am not a fan of tech cams including odd ball ones.

ctz

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 12:14:12 am »

The issue for me was outdoors, as the Sony LCD is pretty much a mirror in good to bright light.  When setup horizontally, I could easily move the screen to effect reflections, but vertical was not possible. 

Ah, that's not a big problem for me, working mainly in the studio.
But it's good to know.

ctz

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 12:17:14 am »

I have a Meta bones Eos adapter. Mount the lens on the Sony. Set your desired aperture and trigger a long exposure. Remove the lens while the shutter is still open and it will hold the aperture.

Hahaha,
I didn't knew this trick.
Off topic, i tried metabones (IV) on my Canon lenses and I was disappointed about AF speed.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 01:35:04 am »

Did you try with the A7rII? AF speed is supposed to be much better than with the older cameras.

Best regards
Erik

Hahaha,
I didn't knew this trick.
Off topic, i tried metabones (IV) on my Canon lenses and I was disappointed about AF speed.

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up