Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get Windows to open Lightroom from an image file  (Read 8361 times)

John R

Can't get Windows to open Lightroom from an image file
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:13:36 pm »

Can't get Windows to open Lightroom after installion of Lightroom and PS. When I right click image file and try to open the file with "Lightroom", it won't open and keeps reverting to Photoshop. Anyone have any idea what I did wrong during installation? I have to open Lightroom and find the file to open. Not what I want.

JR

aduke

Re: Can't get Windows to open Lightroom from an image file
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 12:26:47 am »

On my Windows 7 system, the file-associations for .DNG and .CR2 are set to Photoshop. The file association for the Sigma X3f files is SPP, the Sigma raw processor. ]

On Windows 7, you can see and modify the file associations by START -> Default Programs -> Associate a filetype...

Alan

John R

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 01:08:10 am »

Thank you. That was very helpful, but it didn't work. When I go to reselect the default program, the only options that come up do not include Lightroom, only PS, Elements and Fast Raw reviewer. So I select Choose other programs, find Lightroom, select and still it reverts to PS. Must be designed that way.

JR

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 01:52:24 am »

Must be designed that way.
Correct. Lightroom is based around a catalogue and images need to be imported into a catalogue in order to open them. You can import individual files or whole folders and their sub folders.

I'd strongly suggest reading some basic tutorials on the programme before starting to use it. It's a very intuitive programme to use once you understand the fundamentals, but if you rush into creating huge catalogues without due consideration, you may find you'll need to spend a lot of time at a later date correcting novice errors.

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 04:56:42 am »

Correct. Lightroom is based around a catalogue and images need to be imported into a catalogue in order to open them. You can import individual files or whole folders and their sub folders.

I'd strongly suggest reading some basic tutorials on the programme before starting to use it. It's a very intuitive programme to use once you understand the fundamentals, but if you rush into creating huge catalogues without due consideration, you may find you'll need to spend a lot of time at a later date correcting novice errors.
This is very solid advice.
Try downloading the Lightroom tutorial series available from this site - excellent hands-on stuff.

Tony Jay

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 05:10:36 am »

On my Windows 7 system, the file-associations for .DNG and .CR2 are set to Photoshop. The file association for the Sigma X3f files is SPP, the Sigma raw processor. ]
On Windows 7, you can see and modify the file associations by START -> Default Programs -> Associate a filetype...

You hold down shift, then right click the raw file and choose Open With. You can then click Browse to point to Lr.

However, for the reasons given by Rhossydd and Tony, I recommend you don't use this tip. Also, by not learning to do things the right way you'll be puzzled by the tip not working when you update to the next version of Lightroom or if you change computer.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 09:30:00 am »

+100!

I have used every version of Lightroom since 1, and there are still fundamentals that I never bothered to learn (because I liked my old bad habits).

I have just finished spending several painful hours redoing my PC's file structure because of novice errors back in version 1.   :(
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John R

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 09:44:05 am »

Thank you for all the info guys. I will read up on Lightroom and avoid creating a catalogue for now. Up until now, I was shooting almost always jpegs only, not finding any difference between it and raw, unless I want to do extensive work with the files. I installed a codec so I can view my Raw files in Windows viewer only to find out it doesn't support DNG, just the Pentax Pef raws. My big issue is that I do a lot of experimental camera-motion work, so I want to be able to immediately view and delete the obviously bad experimental work files, and avoid having to upload and delete them later. Of course, I wouldn't normally do this with traditional techniques. Thanks again.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 10:26:27 am »

Lightroom does not "open" files, it imports them, and that's something that you have to do from within LR. You MUST have a catalog in LR, that is central to its operation. My all means "read up" on LR, it is an extremely useful program.

Arlen

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 11:53:08 am »

My big issue is that I do a lot of experimental camera-motion work, so I want to be able to immediately view and delete the obviously bad experimental work files, and avoid having to upload and delete them later. Of course, I wouldn't normally do this with traditional techniques. Thanks again.

John, for the purpose of quick review and deletion of obvious rejects, you'll probably find Adobe Bridge much more useful, if you have it. If not, something like FastRAwViewer or the free Faststone Image Viewer are good alternatives.

richardpeters

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 03:59:10 am »

John, for the purpose of quick review and deletion of obvious rejects, you'll probably find Adobe Bridge much more useful, if you have it. If not, something like FastRAwViewer or the free Faststone Image Viewer are good alternatives.

Just to point out: during the LR Import process, there is the opportunity to accept or refuse particular images. I find the previewing involved in this is fairly fast (since it just extracts a thumbnail, and does not need to generate anything afresh). If this is done directly from the camera card, then the refused images will not get copied into the computer at all.

LR can take care of filing the images in the computer to a preferred system - with zero, some or full user involvement each time. So that's file management, initial triage and physical organisation all rolled together into one operation. I import with almost zero input from me, only ensuring a particular Import preset is selected and some common keywords entered for the batch. One could type a specific folder name here too, if desired.

There is also of course, the opportunity to have images present in the computer, but not imported into the LR Catalog. LR's idea is to selectively show all the images that YOU consider to form part of a useful working library, but not present all the incidental ones (such as exported versions, rejected images etc).

That selectivity means that less effort has to be expended on micro-managing the filing arrangements, in order to maintain control and keep track of what is what. With something like Bridge, you more or less have to exert continual vigilance over what is put where and named what. With LR + PS, I have a hands-free import and editing process where I never have to think about that. Only Exports need a little thought as to where things should be put; I use a separate filing structure for those, distinct from the originals and working files, so the possibility of conflict is zero. The originals and the PS working files constitute a "black box" under the full control of LR, and that area of storage Just Works all by itself. If I want to find something, LR takes me straight to it. When a database is the front end - not the file system - all kinds of virtual aids to the search become possible.

Tony Jay

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 06:13:59 am »

John, I have read your last post and I understand your desired workflow (and the the suggestion of using Bridge may suffice) however if you are willing to learn to use Lightroom (and modify your workflow slightly in the process) then Lightroom can still give you a very rapid workflow around the issues that you raise.

It is true that when I shoot I do sometimes delete some images in-camera however the camera LCD is not good for really judging an images merits so I mostly upload and import all the images from a shoot into Lightroom.
However, there is NO need to wait until Lightroom has finished importing to begin the process of judging and culling images. In fact it is possible to do this and keyword at the same time. I can finish the process usually just as Lightroom is finishing its import. I view full-size previews critically reviewing focus, motion blur, and occasionally composition. Poor images are marked as rejects.
It isn't necessary that one race Lightroom's import process per se but it is possible.

Nonetheless any rejected images are deleted once I get to the end of process and then I rename the retained images.

I would not let concerns about downloading (importing) and then subsequently deleting rejected images deter you from using Lightroom.

Best wishes

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up