Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Large Printing job advice  (Read 4593 times)

disneytoy

First Large Printing job advice
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:43:55 pm »

Hi Gang!

I have a 9890 new from January.  Mainly for my personal projects.

I have a printing job, 100 24x36, and 100 36x48 glossy prints. I figured 6 rolls (and a bit more) of Epson Glossy 250 36" x 100' rolls.

Total is 1,800 square feet.

As my first large run. Is there a better way to approach this?  I mean duty cycle to keep the printer happy?

I don't have to do this super fast. Any idea how long a 36" x100 foot roll would take to print?

I just don't want to find out later, I should have done things differently for the printer.

Any thoughts

Thanks

Max

aaronchan

Re: First Large Printing job advice
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 02:20:26 pm »

For this type of job,
I'm not expecting you are printing everything in highest quality mode (1440x2880dpi with uni-direction)
Stay at 1440x1440 and bi-directional.
36 x 100foot should take more than a day to finish it.
1800 sq.ft should take you more than 4 days (9hrs per day) to finish all the print.
It's a very easy job to do since you don't have to personally trim anything.
Just stack the print with tracing paper in between to make sure you don't get scratchings or whatever when you are done and need to ship them out.

aaron

disneytoy

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 02:42:17 pm »

Thanks,

How long should I print without giving the printer a break? 2 hours on 30 min rest, etc?

I should have 2 weeks for delivery. I will pack everything flat and delivery it that way to be laminated.

thanks

Max

aaronchan

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 02:50:24 pm »

9890 is a production grade printer
It does not need a rest
I had run my 9880s 24hrs 4 days straight without a single problem.

aaron

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 01:00:20 am »

Patience is the key to long-run printing. Check the nozzles daily and keep feeding it paper and ink. Make sure you have enough ink on hand so you don't have to idle your printer a few days as you await a new cart.

As you print, spread out the photos so they can properly air dry overnight or longer. Counter space for drying is always an issue for me on these long runs.

Several years ago, I had a 600+ print run, 18x24 on Somerset Velvet. It's only 50 feet per roll. I ran it on my 7600, a much, much slower printer than my 9800 and 9900. I ran the printer 24/7 for ten days stopping only to change ink and paper. 10 hours per roll was the average speed and I would go out to my studio to check the run several times each night. My 9800 is at least twice as fast and the 9900 even faster.

It took over 25 rolls to do this job. I think I figured about 20-25% wastage. My actual was around 30 bad prints, 5%, mostly from a little ink spatter on the margin and a few dinged corners. The artist told me he would have been happy having the "defects" since it didn't affect the artwork. I figure my ink consumption on the high side at 2cc/sf and I'm usually on the high side.

With the 9900 I've run even larger print runs of even larger prints and canvas. These printer are workhorses and the more you print, the better they run!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

stcstc31

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:30:54 am »

if its being laminated, would ask if they want them as sheets, you might find they would prefer them on a roll, so you print and roll back up

Stephen Crozier

www.360-dpi.com

Conner999

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 08:27:00 am »

If drying space will be an issue, those cheap(ish) fold-out clothes-drying racks sold in most major chain stores work great as print drying racks. Fold away easily, yet create safe, multi-level (they're about 4-5' tall) drying area.

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 06:00:11 pm »

We've got a fair amount of wall space in corridors offices and teaching areas. With big print runs off the 8400 (and or 9800), we'll tend to run maximum 7', then masking tape to the walls, top and bottom, so you can walk past. Helps the initial drying, and helps remove the curl from the art papers.

When wall space runs out, prints are laid on one 8x4 table and trimmed, then stacked with tissue interleave. Much less stressful to trim 30x40's on something like Fiba Print, when they've been hung flat.

On occasions, I'll forget to stop loading the rip, and play the fun game of 44"x10' print carrying, or even less fun, run two eight or ten foot runs together. Single handedly (it's always late in the evening), trying to negotiate two thirds of a roll of premium paper, through doors and corridors, is not fun, but, with practice, just about doable.

Prints are being laminated? Talk to the guys next in the production chain. Do they want long lengths (unlikely, as if the laminate goes awry, then someone has to pay for a reprint). Would they like a handling edge (costs slightly on paper usage, saves a lot of stress for handling, and saves you a lot of trimming time and blades). Do they have a preferred length for the lamination process.

So, space is often the biggest issue, work out plans B and C for how you're going to traffic the prints. Have available spares on the inks and maintenance carts, and a spare roll of paper, so you don't get caught by "the fear" of only just having enough paper.

And stocks of rolls of tissue, scalpels, card to package, as you go etc... And coffee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up