Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FYI, interesting  (Read 3792 times)

tsjanik

FYI, interesting
« on: March 02, 2006, 11:05:23 pm »

jani

• Øyet
FYI, interesting
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 07:09:01 am »

Heh.

The crop of a test chart that apparently seems to claim to document 320 lp/mm seems to show 200-220 lp/mm resolution.
Jan

Ray

FYI, interesting
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 09:19:05 am »

Never mind whether it's 220 or 320, the important question is, 'what's the MTF at 40 to 60 lp/mm?', the resolution limit of most current DSLRs.

Gary Ferguson

• http://
FYI, interesting
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 10:49:10 am »

Good to see that even Zeiss photograph nerdy resolution charts in their back yard. That makes me feel much better.

BJL

FYI, interesting
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 02:16:42 pm »

Good to see that even Zeiss photograph nerdy resolution charts in their back yard. That makes me feel much better.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59601\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Actually, the Zeiss spec. sheets I have seen give MTF curves at scales like 10, 20 and 40 lp/mm for its medium format lenses and not maximum lp/mm data. So this 300lp/mm + "extinction resolution", at which fine high contrast lines are reproduced with about for stops less contrast than reality, seems to be of interest only to their marketing department. (Such measurements might be of interest in astromomy, aerial surveillance photography and other technical uses, but not to photographic art as far as I can tell.)

jani

• Øyet
FYI, interesting
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 03:15:57 pm »

(Such measurements might be of interest in astromomy, aerial surveillance photography and other technical uses, but not to photographic art as far as I can tell.)
Yeah, it might be useful for e.g. reproduction of pencil drawings.

Maybe there's some secret of Leonardo's that can be gleaned from photographing with a Zeiss lens rather than scanning.  
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up