Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First hand experience using the Canon T/S lenses on the Sony a7rII?  (Read 6085 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

Team,

Has someone tried those and performed critical image review?

I am curious how the new sensor of the Sony performs with the Canon T/S lenses in terms of color cast/color desaturation when shifted/tilted.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: First hand experience using the Canon T/S lenses on the Sony a7rII?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 04:28:40 am »

Team,

I am curious how the new sensor of the Sony performs with the Canon T/S lenses in terms of color cast/color desaturation when shifted/tilted.

I agree with Berhard that it would be interesting to hear from practical experiences with that combination, but I expect no real issues since the lenses are designed for a relatively perpendicular ray angle on the sensor. Resolution wise, one can only expect stunning results, even with the 'old' TS-E 90mm design. The 24mm II would still be limited to it's best image circle quality, say with no more than 6 or 7mm shift for a somewhat uniform quality from center to edge/corner of the image. The 17mm is too wide for my taste, so I wouldn't know the optimum quality image circle limits for that one.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

CptZar

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 05:47:47 am »

Can't tell you about the A7rII so far, as I am still waiting for it. But on the A7II, the A7r, the 17 and 24mm TS lenses work flawless. The Metabones Mark IV has an increased image circle for TS lenses. I can't see any difference to the usage on a Canon body.  Absolutely recommended.

Cheers

Jan

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 06:30:40 am »

Gimme a week. I expect my A7rII arrives this week. I have a 24/3.5 TSE but no camera to put it on. I did some tests on a Canon 5DIII and I was not that impressed.

Best regards
Erik

Team,

Thanks.

Cheers,
Bernard

Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 07:51:20 am »

Gimme a week. I expect my A7rII arrives this week. I have a 24/3.5 TSE but no camera to put it on. I did some tests on a Canon 5DIII and I was not that impressed.

Thanks. It will be interesting to get your objective view.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 09:08:05 am »

Hi Erik,

Is that a first generation TS-E 24mm, or the newer version  TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II one?

I recall a friend of mine swapped his initial new 24mm one for a better copy. We tested it against my resolution test chart, and it was worse and slightly decentered compared to my copy of the lens. His new copy was very good, within the usual region +/- 6 mm shift of the image circle at f/11, not the extreme edges. It's even good as a close-up lens with lots of DOF and tilt to boot ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 09:12:15 am »

Hi,

It is an LII, arrived two weeks ago.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik,

Is that a first generation TS-E 24mm, or the newer version  TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II one?

I recall a friend of mine swapped his initial new 24mm one for a better copy. We tested it against my resolution test chart, and it was worse and slightly decentered compared to my copy of the lens. His new copy was very good, within the usual region +/- 6 mm shift of the image circle at f/11, not the extreme edges. It's even good as a close-up lens with lots of DOF and tilt to boot ...

Cheers,
Bart
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 02:24:54 pm »

Update: Checked out Photozone results, the 24-70/3.5 TSE LII they tested was very marginally better than the 16-35/4 L in their tests.
Update 2: I just got new delivery date, around 21-th of August. So no report on A7rII/Lens before that.

Just to explain, I have the lens but still waiting for a body to mount it on. I was seeing a friend who owns a Canon 5DIII and had the opportunity to check out the lens with his camera. Also, we made a comparison shoot with his 16-35/4 zoom, which I would say is a very good lens. In those hasty tests, it didn't seem to me that the lens was really that excellent I have it expected to be. But, I need to make a lot of more careful tests before having a firm opinion.

I guess I will have my A7rII in a few days and I will test my 24/3.5 LII ASAP.

I would add that I have seen some discussions about the 24/3.5 TSE vs the 24-70LII and the Batis 25/2. Those discussions may indicate that the 24/3.5 TSE may be behind the 24-70/2.8 and the Batis, but neither of those lenses offer T&S.

Best regards
Erik

Hi,

It is an LII, arrived two weeks ago.

Best regards
Erik

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:40:43 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

adrian tyler

• http://www.adriantyler.net/
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 08:01:25 am »

hi bernard
i have been using the canon tsl 17mm and the sony a7r II for the last week, i'm not a critical user in a scientific sense but have pixel peeked for flaws as i'm going to use it for a work during the next 12 months. it is better than the d800e with the 24pce in terms of sharpness, contrast and CA and the camera is better than any digital 35mm i've used. i was so impressed with it's cousin the a7 II that i let all my nikon stuff go, happly, and that was before the a7r II. mind you i don't hammer nails all day long with my cameras.
sorry i can't post images at the moment as i'm out of town, i've found it works best, corner to corner, at f11. you have to be really careful with flare, the moment you let your guard down it'll turn up! the colour is not as nice out of the camera as the sony (zeiss) native 55, but that lens is amazing. i would certainly urge you to give this combo a try... be interesting reading all the upcoming reviews!
Pages: [1]   Go Up