Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica S007 coming, how Sinar, Hassy & Contax are affected? ...competition?  (Read 81069 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram

Personally, it has been a long time since I have ever finished an image in 3:2. Almost all of my 135 format images get cropped to 4:3? square or 16:9.
The format is just too damn long for portraits and not wide enough for landscapes.

Ironically, the world can thank Leica for coming up with it. :D

Indeed, it is such a pity that Phase One were not around in 1930. They would have been able to show everybody else how it should be done.

European typerwriter paper and magazine page formats are much longer, traditionally, than US ones. It's a big issue with computers because a screen which will perfectly well display a US page format at 100% will clip or scale the european pages, driving anyone who does page layout crazy.

I am tired of people who want to demonstrate that format X or Y is "better".  I have my preferences, but they won't and shouldn't always match everyone else's.

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:35:49 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

synn

• My fine art portfolio

Indeed, it is such a pity that Phase One were not around in 1930.

A shame indeed. The world could have witnessed your off topic, verbal diarrhea against P1 before color TV was invented! Perhaps in the form of flyers? I heard they were quite the rage back then.

I am tired of people who want to demonstrate that format X or Y is "better".  I have my preferences, but they won't and shouldn't always match everyone else's.

No one here tried to demonstrate that any format was better. I for one, started my post with the word PERSONALLY, which indicates that it is a very personal OPINION. I also do not recollect asking anyone to follow my lead.
Crawl back under your bridge, Edmund.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

eronald

Can someone point me to the process for ignoring a certain member's posts?  I want to save myself some time and temper.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Manoli

Can someone point me to the process for ignoring a certain member's posts?  I want to save myself some time and temper.

Profile>Personal Message Options> Ignorelist
Works for posts as well as PM's

M

synn

• My fine art portfolio

Edmund

Not posting in a forum meant for equipment you don't have or plan to have saves even more time and temper!
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

Overall, I am impressed with what Leica has done here.  Their use of the CMOSIS chip was a risk but the risk seems to have paid off.

The images shown by Michael are impressive.  In the past, the price point Lecia was enough to keep me away from the S2, however at the entry point of 16K for the body, it's definitely a good alternative.  The glass has a legendary reputation and is not anymore expensive that what Phase One now asks for the newer Schneider glass (35mm SK and 40-80 SK).  It's CMOS, (which I prefer) and has the 3:2 or 2:3 (I have seen it shown both ways) layout of 35mm camera, which I also find I am drawn to as that is what I learned on for 30 or so years. 

I also agree with Michael that Pentax has the best implementation of the Sony 50Mp CMOS, at least over Phase One.  Pentax has much more high ISO reach and even at base iso seem to have a slightly cleaner file, (in the shadows). 

Alternatives just keep getting better.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Kolor-Pikker

Edmund

Please don't, the exchanges between you and synn are why I visit this forum, it's great material for my book.

Theodoros

Please don't, the exchanges between you and synn are why I visit this forum, it's great material for my book.

They surely are great laugh... as long as they don't happen in every single thread, do not ruin threads and have some sense that offers something... Otherwise one may as well turn on the TV and watch the loony tunes...

eronald

Done. Ah, passive-aggression feels wonderful. Write *that* in your book, and open a new chapter  :)

Edmund

eronald

Profile>Personal Message Options> Ignorelist
Works for posts as well as PM's

M

Thank you!

Edmund

Theodoros

Overall, I am impressed with what Leica has done here.  Their use of the CMOSIS chip was a risk but the risk seems to have paid off.

Paul
I personally don't see any risk in a pre calculated move... It's rather a pre-designed move that because of Sony's sensor quality will be appreciated less than Leica ever aimed... IMO, Leica decided to use their own sensors on all their products with the CMos "M"... After that, it was a development path that hasn't ended yet... IMO, Leica is after to succeed "the best sensor in the best mechanical engineering" for their marketing to be undeniable and they won't let the path unless they will succeed that people will think of this as being "common sense" either if they are possible customers or not... Also, Leica doesn't what to only relate the "Red Dot" with premium quality... they aim all their products, including brands that will be implemented in the group during the near future to be uder the same culture...

So... in the near future, MF Sinarbacks that will challenge directly any competitor are to be expected, an MF platform to house these same backs "in factory" is expected to be added into the group and may even invest to control a sensor maker company...

eronald

I personally don't see any risk in a pre calculated move... It's rather a pre-designed move that because of Sony's sensor quality will be appreciated less than Leica ever aimed... IMO, Leica decided to use their own sensors on all their products with the CMos "M"... After that, it was a development path that hasn't ended yet... IMO, Leica is after to succeed "the best sensor in the best mechanical engineering" for their marketing to be undeniable and they won't let the path unless they will succeed that people will think of this as being "common sense" either if they are possible customers or not... Also, Leica doesn't what to only relate the "Red Dot" with premium quality... they aim all their products, including brands that will be implemented in the group during the near future to be uder the same culture...

So... in the near future, MF Sinarbacks that will challenge directly any competitor are to be expected, an MF platform to house these same backs "in factory" is expected to be added into the group and may even invest to control a sensor maker company...

Back in film days one could put Kodachrome, or high-speed Ilford film in a camera. Now the choices are made once for all, a year or two ahead of when the camera comes to market - and if a company makes a "bad bet", all the owners of its lens system will pay for it for several years.

I think Leica realize they are very close to getting pushed out, and are turning the S into a value proposition to increase their user base. Not that I am going to complain :)

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:38:51 pm by eronald »

PeterA

I guess Leica wishes they had as many buttons as a Pentax and a flip up screen like Sony after Mr MR's review...

Chris Livsey

What about the incisive and helpful Amateur Photographer review?

"...on first impressions it looks like a very capable piece of kit."

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/dslrs/leica-s-typ-007-review-hands-first-look#y6Bs8sDv45fkuWDw.99

Theodoros

Re: Leica S007 coming, how Sinar, Hassy & Contax are affected? ...competition?
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2015, 06:47:55 pm »

Another short "review"... This time there is a comparison with the S006 which the photographer also uses. http://www.jupitersnake.com/review/leica-s-typ-007-s-007/

eronald

« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2015, 07:04:09 pm »

The Leica S007 galleries from dpr are here. Unfortunately, I cannot see much wrong there.

Edmund
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:01:17 pm by eronald »

JV

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2015, 07:41:17 pm »

Another review (with lots of images as well) of the new Leica by Jono Slack:
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2015/09/leica-s-test/

For people who don't know Jono Slack, he is very well respected in the Leica world, tests/reviews pretty much every Leica camera but this was the first time that he reviewed a Leica S.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2015, 08:18:28 pm »

The Leica S007 galleries from dpr are here. Unfortunately, I cannot see much wrong there.

Very nice files for sure and very pleasant look overall.

Cheers,
Bernard

mgrayson

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2015, 09:33:01 pm »

Unfortunately, I cannot see much wrong there.

A quote of Blagojevician incisiveness!  ;D

(I think the portrait of the red haired kid is way too saturated, but the RAWs are great to play with.)

--Matt

torger

« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2015, 02:40:20 am »

Looked at the images (not raws), I think the default look seems to be quite warmed up, perhaps a bit too much, and perhaps too high saturation, especially in the skin tone range. It's hard knowing when not having been at the scene myself though, it can be an effect of the light too. Or the junk screen I'm sitting at now :-).

If there's a problem it's just a profile issue though, make your own if you don't like it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up