Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cecret Lake  (Read 3854 times)

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
Cecret Lake
« on: August 01, 2015, 08:54:29 am »

Another journey to a new destination. The Alta Ski resort in little cottonwood canyon has long been on my destinations to see. Finally, I resolved to make the trip before the autumn snows claimed it. Setting off in the a.m, too late actually but I pressed on. Unfortunately, I forgot a number of things like a hat, water and real food. If Lutgart would have been with me this would have all been in order but she was nursing our lab Bailey who was attacked by something (raccoon?) and had her chest scratched so badly she received stitches so Lutgart stayed home. Driving through the canyons, I arrived at warm site next to the Alta ski resort. After securing water and some snacks off I went to Cecret lake, no problem...or so I thought. I started my trip at 8950ft for elevation. This changed and quickly. I was huffing and puffing five minutes into my journey and the sun was already too high for my liking. Did I mention I forgot my hat? Anyway, I was not disappointed by the views and they only improved as I walked. Beautiful fields of flowers, reds, yellows and purple dominated the fields with the mountains. Gorgeous but the walk up had my attention. I consider myself a decent hiker but I was feeling this. Hmmm, am I actually short of breath? Yes. I do love the land but I detest man's ability to ruin it. In the middle of this beauty is a ski resort. You can't miss it. And the lifts abandoned for the summer but don't worry. They'll be back with the first snow. We just can't leave well enough alone can we? Keep pushing but I am being punished for my late start. People. Too many people. Families, screaming children, overprotective parents. They are all there. I'll be honest I'm annoyed.

One of the attractions for me of hiking and photography is the solitude. I think. I appreciate and dream a little. But that is impossible this morning. I've been zigzag walking for about an hour now and the sign informs me "Cecret Lake" 1.6 miles. The woods and shade beckon but I'm seriously considering whether to go because I know I will have company. Well, I'm here so I go. The woods are cool and I enjoy some moments of respite from the heat and the crowds. Gorgeous scenery but damn near impossible to photograph with the deep shadows. A mini-waterfall tempts me but I resist, eager to get the walk on. I hear more people and spot a campground in front of me full of human beings and loud ones at that. What did I expect? I veer right and follow the path of solitude. I encounter 3 young lads ahead of me speaking a language that sounded Russian but I was wrong. They were from the republic of Czech. They greeted me with a good morning in perfect English, very good! I stop to rest. The land continues to elevate and I'm really overheating. Fortunately I bought two bottles of water and I'm very thankful I had the patience to wait for the store to open. The path continues and merges as I'm joined by families all on the road to Cecret Lake. Abruptly, the woods end and a huge field emerges with a path straight through. Fields of flowers loom and the elevator continues to rise up. In the distance I can see groups of people ahead of me and at this point I think "How much further can this be??". The land laughs and I get my answer "Further than you want".

Then I see it. Not the lake but the path TO the lake and this is not good. Well, if you were not prepared it is not good. For me to reach the lake I can't even see I have to climb the mountain! A very rocky path at that in the blazing sun. I'm tired, getting hungry and my eyes are burning from sweat. Am I really going to do this? Then I see him. Walking slow with a cane. Slightly hunched over. He must be in his late 70's, minimum. And he is doing it, up, slowly up, step after step. My God! I'm ashamed. This gentlemen wants to see the lake and he is going to do it. I take a deep breath as young people sprint by me. Seemed like they were sprinting at the moment at least. I put down my tripod, my camera, and take off my backpack and have a drink. I pour some on my head washing the burn out. Did I mention I had company? Horseflies. Some fast, some slow but always there. When I stop they seize their moment and attack. I kill one (I have fast reflexes!) and nearly kill his brother. Time to go and so I do. I cross the timeless desert, this Mojave of the mind and continue my journey. From a photography perspective this is stupid. Any experienced photographer reading this is shaking his head and thinking "This clown is much too late. He should have been at the lake at sunrise when the walk would have been much cooler and he would have been alone." I can't argue any of that. But the old man shamed me so I cross the burning land and start my final ascent to the mount. My legs are burning and I'm definitely struggling for my breath. Wow, haven't felt this way in a while. I catch the old gent and he greets me with a hello, I nod and press. I still can't see the lake and the switchbacks are getting tedious but this close I refuse to give in. Finally, with my legs and body at their limit, with one final push I reach the summit and see it all....Cecret Lake revealed.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:17:01 am by mseawell »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Cecret Lake
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 09:44:53 am »

That lovely image is worth the pain (since it was your pain and not mine!), but the story is magnificent. It reminds me of a couple of my earliest serious hikes over forty years ago (I am now 76; no cane, but sometimes a trekking pole).

My worst such experience was on my first visit to Yosemite Valley. A friend and I decided to take the Four-mile Trail to Glacier point (four miles can't be too bad, can it?) After hiking through the woods for about a mile we came to a sign saying "Glacier point 4.6 miles," and I was annoyed at the incorrect rounding off used to name the trail.

We made it to the top and asked some other hikers if there was a gentler way down. They pointed us in another direction. The alternate trail went down a good ways and then back up, and eventually took another ten miles to get back to the valley. The icy cold water of the Merced River felt so good after that.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and your photo.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mseawell

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 12:04:50 pm »

Eric I enjoyed your story! I can picture you in my mind's eye making that journey. We've only been in Utah for a year but we are really enjoying exploring this beautiful land. Already looking forward to our next trek back to the Grand Staircase-Escalante in September. Thanks for the comment!

Mark

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 07:59:42 am »

Great story, Mark, and a photograph worth the effort.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

stamper

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 08:02:43 am »

Great story, Mark, and a photograph worth the effort.

Yes!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 04:16:34 am »

Good story, perseverance almost always pays off... did you go for a swim to cool off?

mseawell

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 07:26:26 am »

Thanks Paul! Sadly, not permitted. I heard this father explaining to his very young son why he couldn't swim, pretty funny.

francois

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 09:30:52 am »

What a beauty!
Francois

mseawell

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 11:45:11 pm »

Thank you kind sir!

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 04:27:14 pm »

Nice shot and a great effort! Way to push through your discomfort. If you do this a few times it gets a whole lot easier. Loved the writing too!

I love wilderness and dislike crowds as well so my first piece of advice is to try a less popular location. Ski areas are typically going to have the highest concentration of tourists in the area. Often they are the ones who have more of an amusement park mentality than a backcountry mindset. Surely there are more lakes and trails nearby that will have far fewer people.

Considering the people and the light the photo looks great. B&W is a good choice for harsh light landscapes and this example works well.

-MattB

mseawell

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 05:08:42 pm »

Thanks! I'm still learning this area and there is a lot to see. And I departed from home much too late and paid a stiff price. I will continue my hunt for solitude and to explore this breathtaking state.

Mark

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 06:47:01 pm »

Great photograph. If you'd got there for dawn, you'd have missed this one. Every cloud, silver linings & all that.

mseawell

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 12:26:31 am »

This is true! I feel fortunate I was able to catch this, believe me.

Mark

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 02:44:01 pm »

Been on that hike many times; late Spring and especially early Fall are better. Love your B&W rendering.
I have one from the opposite shore in your shot. Late afternoon, long exposure with ND filter at f/22 where I discovered the phenomenon of refraction (Nikon D7000). Was glad for the cloning features of PS to remove a couple of stationary hikers; fortunately their noisy kids were moving around so much they completely blurred out!
Thanks for the story--brought back memories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up