Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: should i buy this lol  (Read 5479 times)

alexluuphoto

should i buy this lol
« on: July 31, 2015, 11:51:53 pm »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phase-One-P40-Phase-One-645DF-Mamiya-80mm-Kit-Pre-owned-/121717724595?hash=item1c56f115b3

here is a p40 back with camera and lens for 4k... Only problem is that from the description and pictures it looks like someone really tried to beat the living hell out of this camera and back lol! it looks like it either melted or fell down a gigantic rocky hill. Now its sold by capture integrations and apprently its in good working condition. Is this a good deal? Please convince me to buy it or someone please buy it before me. I don't want to have that feeling like i let a good opportunity go like the leica s2 i saw for 4500 and didn't buy T_T

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
Re: should i buy this lol
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 12:31:53 am »

You can buy a newish 645D body for about the same price and pick up a lens on eBay.

Actually, here's one for $2800:  http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1376591/0?keyword=pentax,645#13111212

And this one's a little cleaner for $3100: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1376085/0?keyword=pentax,645#13106497
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:37:16 am by Dshelly »

alexluuphoto

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 01:03:15 am »

I would like to have a pentax 645d again, but I want the 1600 sync speed and capture one ability. Also this and p65+ are the only p backs that can do the 1/1600th. That reminds me I would need a Schneider 80mm ls which would be 1500 above this 4k. Damn I am so tempted, but I am afraid this system will die lol!!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 08:37:21 am »

Look at the seller, Capture Integration, done deal.  They are one of the 2 largest Phase One dealers in the US, they would not place a bad ebay listing.  You can always call them directly, in Atlanta GA.
The reason for the great price, look at the shot count 151K.  that's quite a bit for digital back, thus this unit was used quite a bit.

The physical wear on the back to me is only slight, no dents.  No doubt the back did get used before. 

The lens and camera body look good also. 

No problems, it's a real deal.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Chris Livsey

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 10:35:18 am »

look at the shot count 151K.  that's quite a bit for digital back,
Paul

Really? Phase One postulated a loss of sensitivity over time but had a back in with over one million shots and detected no deterioration at all. There are no internal moving parts to wear and the build quality is unquestioned. I would say 151K is far from "quite a bit". No question though a trusted dealer. Just demonstrates the downward spiral in older bodies/backs in MFD, good grief the hoi polloi* can afford them now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoi_polloi

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 11:45:33 am »

Really? Phase One postulated a loss of sensitivity over time but had a back in with over one million shots and detected no deterioration at all. There are no internal moving parts to wear and the build quality is unquestioned. I would say 151K is far from "quite a bit". No question though a trusted dealer. Just demonstrates the downward spiral in older bodies/backs in MFD, good grief the hoi polloi* can afford them now.

Different stokes for different folks i guess, to me 151K is a lot on any camera, not just a MF back.  I fully realize the 151K on a back is only electronic actuations no shutter movements etc.  But then as you point out 1 million should be OK, so that makes this a darn good deal, if you are looking for such a back.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 11:52:58 am »

Ah yes, that is the politically correct term as the masses wash these days - except for the french of course :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 12:18:18 pm »

CI is a very top dealer and it has their 90 day warranty. Had I not just gone Hasselblad there is a good chance I would buy it.
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

alexluuphoto

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 12:52:24 pm »

fuck it!!! I bought it lol!

Always wanted a phase one back and i have never seen a p40+ back under 7k before. I guess i could always resell it back =P and it estimate to arrive a day before my birthday lol!

Ken R

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 01:11:20 pm »

fuck it!!! I bought it lol!

Always wanted a phase one back and i have never seen a p40+ back under 7k before. I guess i could always resell it back =P and it estimate to arrive a day before my birthday lol!

Congrats!

Trust me, the image quality is gonna be a HECK of a lot better than most trolls in this forum will lead you to believe. And at the price you got it its a pretty low risk purchase.

The DF body is pretty sluggish but again, better than one would think.

Buying from a reputable dealer basically guarantees that the camera/lens/back will be working properly since they know how to keep their gear up and running properly (maybe this camera was a rental unit?)

alexluuphoto

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 04:48:48 am »

Hey guys I was wondering what lenses I should get for this system. I shoot mainly people and i was wondering what lenses would you reccomend. I just bought a Schneider 80mm ls to go with the p40+ I just got and was wondering which other lenses would you reccomend. I am currently looking at the 110mm ls and the 150mm ls from Schneider. Do you guys have any reccomendations on the mamiya and regular focal plane shutters lenses from phase one. Normally I can see samples, but not a lot of people have comparisons on lenses and reccomendations when I searcned google. All I normally get is dslr vs mfd or like a review. When I searched pentax 645z some guy on getdpi had a page that used all the lenses lol! I want something like that.

Ken R

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 09:43:25 am »

Hey guys I was wondering what lenses I should get for this system. I shoot mainly people and i was wondering what lenses would you reccomend. I just bought a Schneider 80mm ls to go with the p40+ I just got and was wondering which other lenses would you reccomend. I am currently looking at the 110mm ls and the 150mm ls from Schneider. Do you guys have any reccomendations on the mamiya and regular focal plane shutters lenses from phase one. Normally I can see samples, but not a lot of people have comparisons on lenses and reccomendations when I searcned google. All I normally get is dslr vs mfd or like a review. When I searched pentax 645z some guy on getdpi had a page that used all the lenses lol! I want something like that.

I think you will find that the 80mm is great for people work with the P40+. For groups you might want something wider like the 55mm.

Check out this chart:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/charts/comp_mamiyamed_2.html

aztwang

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 01:18:59 pm »

I'm fairly new to this MFD world however, since picking up the Schneider 110 2.8 LS,  it's my first choice when shooting portraits...beautiful, sharp @ 2.8 and dam sharp @ f4!.... The 150 not quite as fast but still provides a nice dof even @ 3.5 ( I have to keep reminding my self this is not the 35mm world anymore and 3.5 and even 5.6 provides nice shallow dof ) ..great for tight head shots and 1/2 body if you step back a few and I LOVE the 55 for environmental portraiture. Good luck...Don

Jens_Langen

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 01:03:08 pm »

I've done 10,000 actuations in one week shooting fashion and that's on a Canon. Eventually I've had to have the occasional shutter replaced but that's it.
On a Phase back which has no moving parts 151k is nothing.
That kind of volume will chew up a medium format camera in my experience and regular maintenance of the camera is part of the equation.

alexluuphoto

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 07:48:03 pm »

So I got a hold of capture intergrations and asked them to swap the 80mm mamiya with a Schnieder ls 80mm and it was a additional $800. I think that's a good deal since I saw them on average 1300 on eBay. The seller did tell me on the phone that I should get the ion battery for the phase one 645df since it runs on aa. It costs 300 dollars lol!! What are your opiniona on this battery and is it worth the price. I am gonna be looking on eBay for it hopefully a little cheaper. Yikes this system was cheap, but now that I have it. I have to spend lots of more money on lenses, batteries, better tripod 0.0!! Hopefully I'll love this system enough that I can sell my d810 with otus 55mm to spend on more lenses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up