Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7s highest "useable" iso  (Read 2784 times)

Chris L

Sony A7s highest "useable" iso
« on: July 31, 2015, 03:52:10 pm »

hi, I just rented a sony A7s to shoot tonight, landscapes illuminated by full moon, and I am wondering what any users here think would be the highest useable ISO for a job. This is for a medium level client and the photos may end up as a two page spread for an ad in magazine. Thanks.

spidermike

Re: Sony A7s highest "useable" iso
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 03:55:47 pm »

Are you not the best person to try that out as you have one in your hands and (I presume) have spoken with your client about the job?

Chris L

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 04:36:54 pm »

i pick the camera up in an hour with no time to test. That is why I am asking others. This is a last minute job, any more disclaimers I need to state for you?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:38:32 pm by Chris L »

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 05:27:23 pm »

i pick the camera up in an hour with no time to test. That is why I am asking others. This is a last minute job, any more disclaimers I need to state for you?
use http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm and compare PDR against the camera you know... or even use DxOMark to compare at the same resolution against the camera you know... granted DxOMark does not account for banding in deep shadows that some cameras have (or have more than some others), but still...

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 10:50:27 am »

I guess your urgent need for this info has passed, but I'm interested to know how this turned out. What were your findings?

I've been experimenting with this camera for motion work, to augment a Red Epic in low-light or "need a very small camera" situations, but have never considered it seriously for still work for clients. For motion work, I find that 32,000 ISO is the point where there had better be something so unique about the shot that "too much" noise is acceptable. It's very good at ISO 8,000 and 12,000. 25,000 is ok, but not making me do a happy dance. In the end, the usual rules apply: I use the lowest ISO I can, given the motion characteristics I'm looking for in the shot and I know that whatever ISO I choose will be less noisy than any other camera I've seen at that same ISO.

BTW, the 400,000 ISO is just a gimic. It's unusable for anything but maybe surveylence. Very uneven sensor illumination that looks like a black shade failure.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 11:54:08 am »

Here is a good test of the A7s vs. The A7R ll.

IMO it is surprising how well the A7s holds up at high ISO.

Super 35 output from the A7R ll at high ISO is astounding.

Chris L

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 05:09:13 pm »

I guess your urgent need for this info has passed, but I'm interested to know how this turned out. What were your findings?

I've been experimenting with this camera for motion work, to augment a Red Epic in low-light or "need a very small camera" situations, but have never considered it seriously for still work for clients. For motion work, I find that 32,000 ISO is the point where there had better be something so unique about the shot that "too much" noise is acceptable. It's very good at ISO 8,000 and 12,000. 25,000 is ok, but not making me do a happy dance. In the end, the usual rules apply: I use the lowest ISO I can, given the motion characteristics I'm looking for in the shot and I know that whatever ISO I choose will be less noisy than any other camera I've seen at that same ISO.

BTW, the 400,000 ISO is just a gimic. It's unusable for anything but maybe surveylence. Very uneven sensor illumination that looks like a black shade failure.

I topped out at 20,000 ISO and it looks fine. Some grain but looks nice. Photos came out great.

I would think for Motion you could get away with higher ISO like u said.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 11:11:43 pm »

Here is a good test of the A7s vs. The A7R ll.

IMO it is surprising how well the A7s holds up at high ISO.

Super 35 output from the A7R ll at high ISO is astounding.

The newer tech has a high barrier to get over--larger photo sites scoop up more photons. It's just hard to beat physics.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 11:20:04 pm »

I topped out at 20,000 ISO and it looks fine. Some grain but looks nice. Photos came out great.

I would think for Motion you could get away with higher ISO like u said.

I think the tipping point is where the color noise starts to overwhelm the feeling of grain. That seems to vary with the lighting. If the sensor gets just a little light, so there's some signal above the noise, it makes a world of difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up