Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon vs Nikon Image depth  (Read 2470 times)

Stephenaweiss

Canon vs Nikon Image depth
« on: March 02, 2006, 02:30:52 am »

Can anyone direct me to prior discussions. I have been told that the Nikon sensor produces pictures with more depth or richness in tones and colors, and for example can reproduce complex details in clouds. The same person who also owns canon says the sensor gives a very "clean" image, but flatter, without the "meat" or depth of color warmth or detail. Has this been discussed? thanks, sw

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 04:25:19 am »

Someone shooting both brands would be best to answer you obviously, but as a Nikon shooter knowing many Canon shooters, I don't have the feeling that Canon high end bodies perform less well than Nikon's in this area.

At higher ISO, Nikon's bodies tend to apply less noise reduction than Canon's, which leaves more noise in the images, but is seen by some people as producing a more natural "film" like result. Overall though, Canon bodies are said to have the upper hand at high ISO still.

Regards,
Bernard

francois

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 04:50:15 am »

I'm a Canon shooter but I've used both Nikon & Canon for a few months and frankly I never saw that one brand is really cleaner/better over the other. As Bernard said, there's a tad more noise in Nikon camera high ISO photos but on prints one doesn't see it. I've also found that highlight transitions are a bit better on Canons but it's very subtle and I didn't conduct scientific tests to see if this was due to different exposure or other factors such as RAW converters. I just shot and compared prints. I would say that I'd be happy with either Nikon or Canon as both produce top notch images. Your choice should also be based on ergonomics and how you feel about the camera.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up